September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. RyanD.

Me too!!!

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Chris

Haha, that's pretty funny

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. anonymous

I almost feel sorry for all the smucks donating to the loser, NOBAMA!! What an awful way to spend money. IF, and that's a big IF, he is elected, be prepared by pay much more because to do all he says he's going to do, will require a huge tax increase on YOU.

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. Georgia

I LOVE THAT! That's awesome! I'm giving tonight as well! Barack The Vote, Baby! McFossil and Gidget need to "Moose" over!

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. lvb

While the republicans are busy high-fiving each other for rallying its right wing base they failed to consider that Palin's angry, sarcastic speech filled with lies and spin would rally democrates unlike anything this country has seen in since JFK.

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Kim Ca

Yep, thank you Sarah Palin... 8 mil in one night, goes to show that just b/c repubs keep claiming home run they are being dishonest the rest of American's are saying BOO!

Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. Sarah L., Fayetteville, AR

Good. I think I'll donate myself after listening to how negative the Republicans have been over the last couple of days. I know it's a convention, but they should at least have a few ideas to help the country.

September 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. rusty

That's what arrogance, and condecension, and lies, and distortions, and mockery, in a pretty package, will get you. Good to hear the Obama army is still alive and strong. The attitude of the Republican Convention is so smug, I think the American public can see through it, and, talented as she is, Palin is now fair game.

9. hrao

This is ridiculous. There is really no way to establish cause and effect between raising money and speeches. HOw stupid can reporters get?

10. dem

all that wasted money...

11. Pam

Just goes to show you Americans are tired of the divisive campaign tactics of Rove/Bush/Cheney/McCain/Palin. Start talking about the issues and what you're going to do for Americans, McCain.

12. yay

yaay i donated to him!!! i knew i wasn't the only one!

13. Ryan Guthmiller

Who care about how much money Obama can raise, what a hypocrite.

14. Dean P Valencia Ca

Yes Yes Yes!!
    I'm a former Hillary then McCain supporter that will never vote McCain/Palin.
    I'm ready to donate to Obama to help him beat this evangelical nut job.
    I can't believe McCain polarized his ticket like this.
    I hope many Independents and moderates see how scary this lady is for America.

15. sophia from NY

I was one too!!! i will go and donate another 25 bucks in a minute 🙂

OBAMA-BIDEN 08

16. Hillary Supporter for Hockey Moms

Obama supporters trying to give alot of money as they expect it back from the socialist government he is proposing

17. Community Organizer

Well now, that's a community organizer for you.

18. CommonSense

There is a GOD... I am so happy to see that the American people are waking up and seeing the hyprocrisy that is the GOP! Thank you Sarah... thank you for showing America that you are a typical politician who stands for absolutely nothing!

19. voter

good. I will donate myself tonight. the gop convention has been vile, negative, condesending and divisive. I am tired of that. I want solutions not mudslinging from someone who is a liar.

20. MP

This country is a Tabloid Nation! I am not a McCain supporter, but I AM most certainly NOT an Obama supporter. Go ahead, keep leading the country into a Self-serving-do-what-ever-you-want country! What a bunch of uneducated drunk on the hype idiots this world has turned into!!

21. Hillblazer

i donated 100

22. Obama/Biden Change You Can Believe IN

When I heard the speech last night by rudy, mitt, & Sarah I donated to Barack Obama.

I am over the negative, divisive, and narrow-minded campaign of John McCain.

Sarah Palin dismissed me as a community adovcate and said my work in the community does not have responsibilites. I was counted as a NON-person and that my story is meaningless to the backbone of America.

Sarah's hate filled speech divides ALL American families..

I am working for a better America.

I am voting for Barack Obama and Joe Biden to help my families dreams succeed....!!

September 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Jay

Yep. And my ten bucks is part of those eight big ones. I hope Obama-Biden wipe the floor with these Republican scuzzballs!

September 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Chris (UK)

You've got to hand it to the woman. She knows how to swing voters. For Obama.

September 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. Marilyn Clove-Kelley

I think McCain picked Palin for shock value after O'Bama's great success the night before. It's going to be a wash for the presidency in November for the democrats/

September 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |