September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. Ben

Yea. You know somebody is shrill, unqualified, and divisive when all they have to do is speak and people start emptying their pockets for the other guy...I have a feeling she made a lot of people mad.

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. PCL

I sent him $100. I will do so again soon. Yeah, keep talking Hockey Mom. And watch out...I hear the National Enquirer is on your tail.

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Lisa

Obama supporters are scared!

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. CT Belle

I am about to give right now. People are ready for a change...that speech last night sealed the deal. She was way too nasty.

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Tom in MD

The Republican convention has been quite effective at rallying the Republican base and showing hardcore conservatives that McCain and Palin are the candidates for them.

Unfortunately for them, they've done an equally good job at insulting and alienating left-leaning independents (like myself) and open-minded democrats, who want to hear something more substantive than repeated statements about how much they love America and hate liberals. (And liberal media bias?? Oh please, can someone in the media call them on that BS and request some of the Republican commentators to substantiate it with something other than anecdotes? It is a statistical fact that Obama has had far more negative media coverage than McCain.)

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. tima_totoro

wow! to paraphrase favor flav, the people don't believe the hype. O'8

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. Tom

No Frank, the American people are tying to buy back our country from big oil and war profiteers, thank god they're too greedy themselves to compete with the people of this country.

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  8. aaron

people are really starting to see how important it is to not have someone this extreme any where near the white house.

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  9. KAMI IN CHANDLER AZ

YES!!! I was one of the many who gave last night as well!!! Lets take our country back and make sure we all still have the freedom to make our own choices ladies!

Obama/Biden

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Theory

SEE, people ARE tired of BULL, her speech sounds like it was written by Kathy Griffin !

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. Dylan

Um, BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

September 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Virginia Voter

I added to my monthly donations last night. $8M in one night? It would be really cool if Obama issued "Campaign Donation Rebate Checks" to all donors at the end of the campaign, hahaha!

GO BARACK GO!

13. GEORGIA GIRL

I've never donated to any campaign in my life but after i saw Palin's speech and the hate she spewed towards Obama i got up went on my internet looked up Obama's website and made a donation. I see others did the same. Well Palin may have stirred up her base, but she overwhelming increased Obama's support and i know many independents are now looking at Obama more. Palin seems so crazy she's like Bush with Boobs. I can't have another 4 years of Bush

14. Karma Is....

Good, no four-eyed fickled cheerleader should be NEXT in line to the highest office of the land. John knows better than that, and that's why they continue to lie about how well she's been vetted. She wasn't.

I suspect Barack will make a lot more money now. The country has gone mad.

Obama/Biden 08

I think Karl Rove is working so hard, so that he won't have to go to jail. Don't fall for it America. Karl needs to be under the jail.

15. PUMA's For PALIN

I thought she was awesome. After a week of Obama trashing her, her family and her daughter I was inspired by her heart.

PALIN POWER

PS: Some use change to further a career. Some use a career to further change. Great Line.

16. AKRON, OHIO HILLARY SUPPORTER

PALIN SOUNDS LIKE A COMIDIAN

17. Fly Boy

I donated for the 5th time, because McShame & his prom queen are a FREAK show, that is filled with lies, lies, lies...

Crazy to say this, BUT 4 more years of Bush would actually be better than McShame, because with Bush we now whats coming, with these two who knows; maybe a Mushroom cloud or another 50 years of OIL based policies.

REAL CHANGE comes from Obama/Biden.
    Lets put some BRAINS back into the White House.

18. Meena

I donated last night!!! OBAMA 08!

19. Ito

It's not about raising more money necessarily. It's about fighting! Show some fight please.

Knockout punches are needed or you'll be knocked out. Period.

The GOP has money – they are the government and they control the money.

Don't be talking about money – talk about the real fight.

20. jason

Thats a crock. But I guess its good that he flip flopped on accepting public financing. The only way he will win anything is with money from Oprah and other stars anyway.

21. Anonymous

yeah, a barking pit bull is great advertisement for mussel sales!

22. Greg, Texas

CNN – you are DETERMINED to swing this your own way for Obama! You're pathetic!

23. Debby

Money doesn't win elections votes do. Maybe someone should tell the Obama educated voters that. LOL

24. deb

Thank God! Anyone who would vote for McCain/Palin has to be crazy. She is so far to the right it's ridiculous. I watched her mean spirited, pit bull speech last night and was thoroughly disgusted. She had nothing to say of substance and lied big time about earmarking. The cameras kept showing the people in the audience and it seemed to me that many of the people thought the same way as I did. And, no self-respecting Hillary supporter would defect to this woman's camp! Hillary is FOR THE PEOPLE of the US. This woman clearly IS NOT.

25. Louis

She scared the wits out of them and they started pouring in more money,

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23