September 4th, 2008

Palin speech pulls in $8 million - for Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/art.money.gi.jpg caption="The Obama campaign is pulling in cash following Palin's speech. "](CNN) - Barack Obama's campaign says it has raised more than $8 million from over 130,000 donors following Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin's speech Wednesday night.

The campaign also says it is on track to raise $10 million before John McCain takes the podium at the Republican National Convention tonight.

1. JEC

Amazing! I will keep on giving as long as it is a possibility that she will one day run our country. No thank you.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. JEFFY

Poor Palin..all she has to offer is more of the same republican bashing. Why can't repbulicans talk about the issues? She stands on a national stage proud of herself....or is she disguising the fact that she had an affair on her hubby and her 17 yr old daughter is pregnant.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Former Republican

I donated as well. Palin reminds me too much of George Bush in 2000, inexperienced and very conservative... Palin McCain is a big risk. There were many more qualified female republicans, but apparently none conservative enough for the new conservative John McCain. This is not good for the country. Respectfully, Please say 'no' to Palin McCain

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. Yolanda

She's trying hard to get the sympathy vote. She's telling moms with disabled kids; vote 4 me cause i have a disabled child too, eventhough I wouldnt know skort about running this country. She tries hard to appeal 2 working moms just casue she's one herself. I take offense to her thinking she cn get my vote for that reson alone. I dont know this woman from anything, but I know 4 sure she wont be getting my vote.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. Randall Levine

YES! That's what I'm talking about.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. gia

This Tina Fey lookalike Rove in drag hit it out of the ballpark last night – if the task was to deliver teleprompter lines in the impeccable manner of a Fox news anchor to an adoring audience of low-IQ drones. Her jabs and almost pathologic sneer-with-a-smile delivery put the ‘palin’ in ‘appalling’ – with a missing piece, fittingly.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. McCain supporter

every one get off the obama band wagon, its pathetic to wacth every one flock to this man. when he tells me what he will do then I will take his big ears serious.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Ben

Thank you for mentioning this. I donated last night. Palin seemed hateful and divisive.

I am tired of the culture wars. I didn't know that McCain meant they are going to keep going full steam. Sad.....

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Ex GOPer

Right after Palin's speach I donated to Obama's campaign. I'm also finding out how I can volunteer her in Colorado. We don't need four more years of Bush's policies and the convention so far has removed any shadow of a doubt I had that that's exactly what we will get.

September 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Belle2

Seems to me these Obama fans are not hurting from the economy, or are they donating their welfare checks. Perhaps, the source of these funds needs to be investigated.

11. Toby

It's an old Republican tactic: Raise fear to raise money. This time though, they did it to themselves.

12. MN Indy

Yes! I'm so glad that I can still donate to my chosen candidate instead of having to run it through 527 groups like the Repubs!

13. Obamist

I am so happy. CNN tried to make Palin's speech out to be so great!!! I was disappointed. They sounded worse than Fox. I wouldn't believe that Campbell was so silly – I like you so please change. I am off to donate too. Love you Obama. God bless you always!!! Back off Palin- we are ready for you.

14. monique

About Those Community Organizing Years...

By Alec MacGillis
    Both Rudy Giuliani and Gov. Sarah Palin reserved some of their harshest lines last night to mock Barack Obama's years working as a community organizer in Chicago, with Palin saying that it resembled her work as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, except that as a mayor "you have actual responsibilities."

The attacks may have been inevitable, given how much emphasis the Obama campaign has placed on that part of his resume. The campaign's constant touting of Obama's accomplishments as a community organizer has always been somewhat at odds with Obama's own account in his 1995 memoir, in which he makes clear how frustrating and relatively unproductive the experience actually was.

But the McCain campaign's comparisons between Obama's years as a community organizer and Palin's as mayor also serves as an attempt by the McCain campaign to establish a biographical equivalence between two different life stages gone through by candidates close in age and, perhaps, to write his time representing a populous Chicago state senate district out of the picture. After all, Obama was an organizer from roughly age 24 to 26 - after he graduated from Columbia University but before he went to Harvard Law School - and Palin, at that age, was working as a television sports broadcaster.
    If Palin's two terms as mayor are chronologically equivalent to anything in Obama's biography, it is to his eight years in the Illinois State Senate, which occupied roughly the same stretch in his late 30s and early 40s as did her time running Wasilla.
    That, however, is comparison that shapes up a bit differently. Wasilla's population during Palin's tenure as mayor was roughly 5,000; Obama's Senate district held about 200,000 constituents, or about 40 times as many as Palin's Wasilla.
    Slightly more than 1,000 people voted in Palin's reelection contest in 1999, which she won 826-255. Slightly more than 50,000 voted in Obama's 1998 reelection, which he won with about 45,000 votes.

15. bill from michigan

We are fired up and ready to go. They lied us into war. Why wouldn't they lie about Obama.

16. Joe

I can see why people are contributing - and I'm one of them. Suddenly, people are seeing that it will take angry people shouting cynical insults to turn this country around.

17. the laughing man

its seems palins immense popularity with the extremes of the republican party is pushing moderates and independents into obama's embrace.

her existance onn the ticket also rallies the far left (who have been dissapointed with obama's centrist positions) to support Obama with near religious fervour.

USA 08

18. Obama Empty Suit

Great maybe Obama can buy some more fireworks and some Greek Columnsfor his next speech.
    Keep on giving to a lost cause, Obama knows how to waste money.
    Maybe he can use the money to purchase some more advisers to help him with the YES or NO questions??????? He seems to have a problem with and just vote PRESENT. HaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaa

Obama/Biden – Flip Flop/Plagerist

19. sety

Sylvia, you can empty your account for McCain that is your business, it will be your lost. You were never a democrat.

Obama/ Biden 08

20. Bill

I wish I could have given 1 trillon (the amount Bush has spent in Iraq) to the Obama campaign.

21. pkb

Everyone out there who is scared, scared, after watching these old has-been Republican goats and a screech owl, bring out those wallets for the Dems!!!

22. Rebecca, North Carolina

RJ from CA.....C'mon now...you're just giving pit-bulls a bad name!

I just wonder how many MEN love pit-bulls who abandon their offspring, especially their 4 month old disabled offspring. Todd is *not* a stay at home Dad...refused to do it when she won the Gov. position, shortly thereafter.

Everyone keeps talking about how well SHE can handle it all, but no one is asking how her KIDS feel about this.

23. White and Black support for Obama

Sarah Bashed Obama service to the community ,but the republican are known to see country first. Flip flop republican, Obama never work with repulican to accomplished anything, but some senator actually use Obama name to campaign for reelection.

Republican are flip flop, vote for them because you are one of them. Country first but yet you criticized someone who left big money to serve as a community organizer. country first hhhhhaa.

open your eyes.

Patriotism....straight talk express. Sarah..Palin wants to Alaska to leave America and yet they speak of patriotism. Shame if you want to sale the country Sarah...this country is not for sale.

24. Breck

I love how Republicans love to tell you Obama is raising taxes. Actually, he's cutting them for 95% of America. McCain is continuing the Bush tax cuts (Which are widely regarded as a economic failure) and give billions more in tax cuts to big corporations already getting huge breaks.

25. Tonya

And I was one of those donors. Its time for an end to the angry, divisive, politics of the past!!!

Obama/Biden 08!!! 8 is ENOUGH