September 4th, 2008

'Real World' star gives her reality-check on Palin

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/04/rachel_campos_duffy.jpg caption="Former reality star Rachel Campos-Duffy at the CNN Grill during the Republican National Convention."]ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) – “Now we have a race,” Rachel Campos-Duffy said of McCain’s “excellent choice” for vice president, Sarah Palin.

The ‘Real World’ reality star and Republican activist was dining at the CNN Grill Wednesday evening with her three-month old newborn in tow. Campos-Duffy, like Palin, is a mother of five.

“I think before, maybe we could’ve won, but I think that now we have a real, really good shot at it. I really do,” Campos-Duffy said of Palin on the ticket.

“I don’t really have a lot in common with Hillary Clinton. I have a heck of a lot more in common with this woman, and I think that most people I know, Democrat or Republican, would say the same thing.”

The conservative blogger, a frequent contributor to a parenting site, says 17-year-old Bristol Palin’s decision to have her baby only puts a “stamp on [the family’s] pro-life credentials.”

“They say that pro-choice is sort of the women’s position, but I think that women’s positions on choice are really softening,” Campos-Duffy said. “When [women] have had 40 ultrasounds, had babies, and seen spina bifida operations done in utero, I think there’s a lot more softening about women’s decisions.”

Duffy is married to fellow “Real World” alum, Sean Duffy, now a Republican delegate from Wisconsin. Oh, if you are wondering, Rachel starred in Season Three, "Real World San Francisco."

1. Ellie

Gov. Palin is in the middle of an ABUSE OF POWER investigation as Governor of Alaska. The problem here is that, Gov. Palin stuck her political nose into her sister's private bitter divorce. WHY would she do that? WHY would your office put any pressure in this matter?

Now CNN has just reported that emails are starting to surface about Gov. Palin's role in firing the Safety Commissioner for NOT firing her brother-in-law.

NOW all of a sudden Gov. Palin has HIRED an attorney, hummmm I wonder why? and WHO is paying for this attorney? McCain or Palin? Because if it's the McCain camp then, something SMELLS VERY COVER-UP FISHY?

September 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. KG

As fas as the Jesus/Pontius Pilot comment. I believe Jesus had some executive experience. Obama has none. And....I hope you are not comparing Obama to Jesus. I believe Obama's already said that Jesus was above his pay grade.

September 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Nina DePonca

Did Joe Biden wear a skirt when he gave his acceptance speech? No!

Women and men are different. They think differently. They act differently. They have different priorities in life.

A 44 year old woman with no children ... OK persue being VP

A 44 year old women with two, 3, 4 teenage children ... OK persue being VP

A 44 year old woman with teenagers and a 5 year old child ... OK .. I guess

A 44 year old woman with 5 children, 1 pregnant, 1 about 5 years old, 1 a few months old with Down's Syndrome ... wait about 8 years.

September 4, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. tedious898

Ok now I've heard it all....Palins' speech had at least 12 lines better than any line in Barack Obama's acceptance speech from last week.

WHAT? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

This is from the current WH speech writer. So you have to qualify it somewhat but you have to say that the republicans are freakin losin their minds over this woman. She has now replaced Betsy Ross for patriotism and mother Theresa for americans of faith.

Be very afraid americans. We're about to see the most freaky Pres. and VP of this history. Is anyone hearing this? Karen Hughes is interviewing now and is vying for her opportunity to continue the Bush legacy thru McBush.

September 4, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. Democracynow2008

Dream on
    Obama/Biden 08

September 4, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. J.L.

Wow... love how selective the Republicans are about the whole teen pregnancy issue... they focus solely on how she's planning to have the baby. Nothing about how unbelievably stupid the "abstinence-only sex education" that Palin pushes is. One of many flawed right-wing stances. Ignorance doesn't make you any smarter...

What I really want to see is one reporter ask Palin is, "Do you still believe in abstinence-only for sex education?"

September 4, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Matt, Pittsburgh

Whether it's a real worl star or a hollywood star. No celebrity is going to sway my vote.

Our country is in deep trouble of anyone's vote is swayed because Star X or Star Y says vote this way or that. There opinions are no more informed than yours or mine.

September 4, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Kevin

This just in: my dog endorses Ralph Nader!!

September 4, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Teacher in CA

Interesting.

Does this mean she's discounting her deceased friend and castmate, Pedro's, work as a community organizer?

He'd be ashamed of you, Rachel.

September 4, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. 45 year old white lady for Obama

I actually watched Her on the Real World. She was annoying then too.

September 4, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. gerry

who is cambell brown

September 4, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  12. Barbara

WOW, Never heard of her. Some real star when nobody knows who she is. Just someone to catch a glamce in the spot lite. Lady anyone can get up on stage and read the lines. Its between the lines that we want to know about. How are the going to help us on fixing jobs, health care. OH if anyone hasn't seen it DOW just hit the high time high over 300 points downward. Wonder if that had anything to do with the so called Maveric speech last night.

September 4, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. snnn

Palin.....REAL

September 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. oh my

Palin after hours and hours if rehearsal delivers a speech written by the Bush/McCain speech writing team....and now she is ready to be one heart beat away from the President?....lol, Americans can not be as stupid as the GOP wants us to be. delivering a speech in one night gives her praise, Obama held under great scrutiny after numbers of great speeches is that racist? Palin IS under investigation, her own pundits call her a gimmick in an open mic saying things like 'they fell for it"...are we really going to fall for it again? after we fell for it in 2000 and 04....i dont think so. lets see about the issues

September 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. bernj

Oh please. I certainly understand her support for Palin. They are both so similar. Mean spirited, not particularly bright and often with child. Or pretending to be.

September 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. AmyO

Seriously??? And we should care what she thinks because...?

September 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. Bitter Joe

To see these Obama bloggers cry brings tears to my ears and joy to my heart. Your Amerian Idol candidate has been exposed from his head to his toes. What Hillary started and the DNC stopped will now
    allow the Real American Party to take out this Socialist Democrat with no credentials and no experience.

Palin has more executive experience than either Obama or Biden.
    That folks is a fact. The whitehouse is not a training center for novices. Actions speak louder than words. and both McCAin and
    Palin bring action to the agenda. I bet the Russians are shaking in their boots and al-Qaeda too.

Semper Fi

September 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. Oh Boy!!!???

Diddn't McCain accuse Obama of being the MTV generation?

Boy, I hope he approves her message.

September 4, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. Democrats unite-dont be fooled

who the heck is she and why do we CARE?

September 4, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. Mad Republican TX

I'm a republican and I'm mad as heck. I just can't believe McCain would pick someone like this. I thought I was a republican for life but now I see how things work in this party. First they had me to believe Obama was an elitist, second that he was a celebrity, third that he has no experience. And what did they do, they seen how Obama was stealing spot light from McCain, so he went out and got him some eye candy for the public. If your a soldier I thought you're supposed to stick with your guns. The same things McCain threw at Obama he just threw at his self. Only thing that seperate the 2 is she's a republican and he's a democrate. I might be switching my parties will soon.

Palin=Obama just better looking. 🙂
    McCain quit being a copy cat. I thought you were a Maverick. Some Maverick you turned out to be.

September 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. Carl

What's wrong,Obama supporters, can't take competition.

You are so lucky it's not Ron Paul standing over there, because you would shake in your boots.

September 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Love

I love people who honestly believe running a town of 8000 gives someone the 'executive experience' to run the United States.

So people HONESTLY believe this? Really?

September 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Elizabeth in Seattle

Shows you what she knows. How unfortunate. We will see President Obama and Vice President Biden in the White House in January.

September 4, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. McKen's Barbie Collection

You complain about your boss not doing his job. You notice he's only working to fatten his pockets with big oil payoffs. He fights all the time with the smaller companies instead of the bigger company that has hurt him the most . Your have not received a raise and you may lose your job because the boss is now outsourcing the jobs. You are about to lose your house and boss has so many houses he can't count them. The company you work for has not turned a profit and has low approval ratings. The boss distributes a company wide memo that reads " I really don't know much about the economy." You have put up with his bullying ways for eight long years. Finally your work contract is ending with your boss. Should I continue working for this creep or should I CHANGE employers?

It's that simple America. It's time for a change and YOU know it.

Have you kissed your moose today?

September 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. stephanie kimber

As a woman I am repulsed by Sarah Palin. She is only in the race because the Republicans need charisma and more oil drilling opportunities. She is a good public speaker, but many people are. She should stay home and raise her kids. She didn't move to Juneau because she wanted to stay near her kids school-so clearly her family is her priority. I hope it stays that way and she gets out of politics. Its one thing to run tiny little Alaska-but the entire US is quite a jump. She puts the PTA on her resume for heavens sake!

I don't want to identify with my president, I want to admire him/her. I am still amazed that we choose candidates that we "identify" with-as if running the most powerful country in the world requries only average skills and some charisma. I want to vote for the smartest, most intellegent choice-not the most attractive. This is our future, and after the last 8 years, I am amazed how cavilier people are about their choice. As if a good speech is indicative of anything except a good speech writer and some acting experience.

September 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |