September 4th, 2008

Republicans nominate Palin for vice-president

ALT TEXT

Gov. Palin waved to the crowd, that greeted her with a long standing ovation, before she spoke at the GOP convention Wednesday. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - Republicans nominated Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be their vice-presidential candidate, making her the first woman ever to run for the office as a Republican.

Palin was nominated on a voice vote which Sen. Mitch McConnell recognized as unanimous approval, prompting chants of "Sarah! Sarah!"

Watch: The GOP officially nominates Palin as VP

Palin thrilled the convention Wednesday night with a barnstorming speech attacking Democratic nominee Barack Obama, touting her credentials as a reformer, and praising her running mate, Sen. John McCain.

Outside the convention hall, reactions to her speech have been mixed, if generally powerful.

The Republican National Committee said Thursday it had raised $1 million since the speech. The Obama campaign said it had raised $8 million in the same period.

1. Todd

n the night that Senator McCain will get is nomination he has lost my vote. I forced myself to watch the Democratic convention even though I was certain that Senator Obama would not get my vote.

After the Democratic convention my opposition to Obama had waned, but I was still planning to cast my vote for McCain. I didn't expect was that Obama's intelligence and message would overcome my opposition to him.

I also didn't exect that McCain's judgment and message would result in my opposition of him. The Republican convention has proven to me that the party is out of touch with the challenges of today, stuck on the retoric of decades past, and without a plan for the future.

At this point, there is nothing that McCain can say that will overcome the damage done. I am now certain that Senator Obama will get my mo vote and my Money.

September 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  2. Shannon in California

Sarah I would never waste a vote on you. As a woman I am highly offended by you.

September 4, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. vee

Sarah, Sarah,Sarah Thank you so much you are doing a wonderful job helping us raise MILLIONS or dollars. You speech last night showed just how out of touch you and the other repug's are. All you did last night was show us true Democrats just how much change is needed. You attacks last night was truly disgusting and it showed just how much of a puppet that the repug's made of you. You say that the Democrats are spreading false truths about you and your family and that your family should be left out of the elections, but you and the repugs are the one's dragging and parading your family around. Here's a question for you, your baby Trig is 4 months old right,what is a baby that young doing out that late? Great roll model you are. Once again thank you for all the MILLIONS you helped us raise

September 4, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Cecil

In the fundraising letter issued Thursday, she cited "the Obama-Biden Democrats" and said the "misinformation and flat-out lies must be corrected."

Palin said Thursday that she has "a big job cut out in front of me running for vice president."

"She did not take questions from reporters"

NOT TAKING QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. BP, from The Bronx

Any conscience individual will vote for Obama / Biden but this is the same country that re-elected Bush, so I'm not that confidence that the voters will make the right choice. Obama shouldn't take anything likely.

Obama / Biden '08 and '12

September 4, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. dw

The Alaska attack dog gave the election to Obama. She is an insult to woman.

September 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  7. T

In my view, Governor Palin's personal family issues (pregnant daughter, tiny newborn) is sure to have a psychological impact on Mrs. Palin and her family.

Also, some of these Republicans struck me as angry.

Hopefully, McCain, 72, will retire now.

September 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  8. memeforobama

Palin accepts the VP nomination before she was actually nominated (officially). Mcshame takes her in before actually vetting her for the VP spot. How backwards can this ticket possible get? the repugs takes America to war before they actually finds out theirs no wmds in Iraq!!
    I see dubious history repeating itselve if Mccain wins this election. We will be in World War 111 before they will decide to utilize deplomacy. Please vote intelligently and not out of fear.

September 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  9. Josh, NY

All I have to say is:

McCain/Palin 08'

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. SAB

I find it very strange that this woman that is the nominee for the VP of the Republican party never said any thing regarding the existing issues that are facing this country. It is going to be interesting to watch her campain and debate to see how quick she is on her feet.

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. Max

McCain has got all the experience he needs to destroy the country.He doesn't need a VP. All he needed is a secretary to answer the 3:00Am phone call, that's why he hires S. So as a governor she is over qualified for that position of secretary. All she needs to do for her new position is shopping for new modern clothes and hairdress style.

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. Matt

Is the media ever going to investigate the numerous scandals and inconsistencies with Palin ? Or is that level of scrutiny reserved for Obama ?

September 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  13. Chris, Antioch, CA

I sleep better at night, I really do.

Obama / Biden 08 and 12

September 4, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  14. A CANUCK

I can hardly wait until the pitbull has to stand on her own two feet and debate the issues.......not just read what someone else has written!!!
    How long will it take for Palen to realized she is just a puppet for the republicans ?????????

September 4, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. Cecil

Two Bold Face Liars, One Hasn't Learn To Talk On Her Own Yet!

She's A PuPpEt On A String.

September 4, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. Ron, NOLA

As a young voter, I am very pleased with this years choices for president. I am a democrat and have always voted party first. I was faced with a tough choice between Hillary and Barrack. I chose Barrack.

I really wanted an Obama/Hillary ticket, when Obama picked Biden I was skeptical.

McCain picked Sarah, and I thought she may bring the change if given the chance. Thus, I would not have been that heartbroken if Obama lost the election.

HOWEVER, after her speech last night, all I got to say is...

OBAMA, WHERE DO I SEND MY CHECK?

September 4, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. Neka

First off this is my third post on here so I hope this goes through, after all you guys posted Barbara who was basically just laughing in text. Eh? Anyway, lets be honest here, the Republicans being interviewed about their comments for Palin have obviously all received the same game plan from the big boss. Step 1. Dodge the important questions like a car on the wrong side of the highway Step 2. Harp on about her two year executive experience like 'she' parted the red sea. Step 3. Lie about not being the least bit disappointed that Romney or some other candidate on the short list was not picked instead of Palin Step 4. Harp on about Obama's inexperience because I don't think the nation knows that yet, that is why he received so many votes in the preliminaries WE DON'T BELIEVE HE'S READY
    Step 5. Allow little miss Pitt Bull to bash Obama about inexperience when she's got a great big blinking arrow over her head. She says that the White House is no where for on job training in so many words. I wonder if she has seen the tape where she asks what the job of the VP entails?
    Step 6 Fake it til you make it. If you don't know what you are talking about then just fall back on the same line "Look, the real issue here is that Obama isn't qualified." Right, that one is new.

September 4, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |