September 4th, 2008

Schneider: A big test for McCain

CNN

Watch: Protestors interupt John McCain's speech Thursday night.

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) - As protestors in the audience continue to grab the crowd’s attention – and they unintentionally step on McCain’s speech with their chants - he recognizes that he really faces a serious problem. And he’s doing his best to short-circuit it.

The danger in incidents like this is that people will see him as a president that will divide the country. His initial response is the right on: the most important thing he can do is calm the situation, and the crowd – and keep calm himself.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. McKen's Barbie Collection

You complain about your boss not doing his job. You notice he's only working to fatten his pockets with big oil payoffs. He fights all the time with the smaller companies instead of the bigger company that has hurt him the most . Your have not received a raise and you may lose your job because the boss is now outsourcing the jobs. You are about to lose your home. The boss has so many houses he can't count them. The company you work for has not turned a profit in years and has low approval ratings. The boss distributes a company wide memo that reads " I really don't know much about the economy." The boss threatens to release the pitbull on if you keep WHINING. You have put up with his bullying ways for eight long years. Finally your work contract is ending with your boss. As you think about your family's future you ask yourself "Should I continue working for this creep or should I CHANGE employers? ".

It's that simple America. It's time for a change and YOU know it.

ANCIENT PROVERB: Don't let your pitbulls run loose with the moose on the White House lawn.

September 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  2. cant we all just get along

I am a democrat who is solidly behind Obama and never would vote for maccain but those protestors are just messed up.

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. Obama_all_the_way

Considering how boring the speech is, one can only hope there are more protesters embedded in this crowd. Please post this!

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  4. Xango 08 & 12

OH please
    blah blah
    blah
    blah
    schneider go take a walk in north minneapolis, or frogtown in saint paul

then you will see why we can not have another republican in office
    and WE CAN NOT
    afford more CNN reports like yours

go away

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. Dan

Well I thought he liked chatting in the TOWN HALL approach. good Luck!

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Part of the new era in politics was offered for the past few days. Different insights of real people's moods and aspirations was given freely and unconditionally! All the speakers have misused words and at the end it showed their true colors of great actors and not true agents of change. And all I can honestly say, when one's words are misused in such ways, experience has shown me an outcome of a real deficit in experiencing change which then translates into a real loosing battle that can last longer than we had in mind; except this time around we know the deadline!

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. midwestrn grl_stl

The results r in Bill. I know a great speaker who is elegant, considerate, authentic, and honest and his name is Barack Obama.
    Mr. McCain you are no Barack Obama!

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Baze

DOWN WITH THE G.O.P.!!! DOWN WITH SABRE RATTLING FASCISTS TYRANTS!!! Continue the unrest! WE DON'T WANT THESE PEOPLE ANYMORE!!!

ONE NATION

September 4, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. concerned American

There were protesters? I'm sorry I must have been sleeping...oh yeah, there's drool on my shirt...I'll stay awake for the resstt offf iiiiiittttt...zzzzz....

September 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  10. caywen

So far, this speech is a disaster. Is this supposed to swing independents? The Dem's criticism about lack of concrete solutions in their rhetoric is valid. I thought McCain would do it tonight to quell the critics, but he's just spouting false rhetoric again.

September 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. Linda31

McCain's looks mad!!!! hehehehe Joked the first couple of times, but was about to lose his cool! Loved it.

Is this speech about Palin or the American people???

September 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  12. The Lady

McCain I am sorry but it is over. Sarah was supposed to be your ace card but the democrats have the joker. Game.

September 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  13. Dan J

As an independent, all I see is disrespect from a radical side. It turns me off to their cause, as they cannot communicate it in a way that's intelligent or respectful.

I think this aspect will help McCain, not hurt him. It does not make me see him as divisive.

September 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  14. Mary

Yes he will–McShame will divide this country and ruin it in a way that even Bush didn't–GO PROTESTERS!!!! (And what a terrible speech McShame is giving.)

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. janine Lichstein

Exactly when was Roosevelt a Republican?

confused in Los Angeles

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  16. Tayo, New York

CAN YOU SEE JOHN MCCAIN'S FLAG PIN?

I'M WATCHING HIS SPEECH AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT IF HE WEARS ONE OR NOT.

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  17. Ben

The Republican Booing sheep thing is kind of creepy.

I hope Americans listening to this realize that he is outright lying about several of Obama's positions: just check out Obama's website if you don't believe me.

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  18. Griff

I wasn't going to. I am sick of CNN's interference. But I had to listen: to "John McCains" Speach... CNN will not win... They will die, with their Choice "Barack Obama"...

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  19. PATRIOT FOR A HONEST AMERICA

STOP THE CORRUPTION AND VIOLATIONS IN OUR CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS.

WHERE ARE THE REPUBLICAN RIGHT WINGED VALUES??

WE THE PEOPLE MUST RECLAIM AMERICA!

VOTE OBAMA 08

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  20. lorenzo

this is the worst speech ever. this is the best the gop got

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. fixthebroken

Given how cynical, and somewhat paranoid, I am of the Republican party due to the last 8 years and the way people like Karl Rove have infiltrated it, it would not surprise me one iota if the Republicans *planted* protesters in the crowd to (1) try to make Democrats look bad (2) garner McCain some sympathy votes.

Seriously, how do you really know they were legitimate and authentic protesters - and how would even a few of them get in there?

September 4, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  22. C. Aulwes

Suddenly McCain is concerned about the economy. Isn't he the guy whose main adviser said that Americans were whiners? That the only recession happening was an imagined, mental one?
    I feel as if this speech is damage control meant to undo what Palin and Guliani did last night with their sarcastic, ugly rhetoric that truly is the hallmark of the Repulican attitude.

September 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  23. heather

Leave it to the liberals!!! Did you see any NORMAL PEOPLE (AKA Republicans) bothering Obama during his speech?

September 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  24. Tyler in Raleigh

"when you've lived in a box"?????

REALLY???? Are you kidding me??? So is every prisoner in America getting "presidential experience" at this moment?

Apparently being a prisoner and living in dank boxes is what you need, because that is all the intro showed. I guess that is why he wants to continue the war in Iraq and torture.... he is just making them good future leaders by keeping them in boxes.

September 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. Andrew

His acceptance speech is painful to watch, he's lucky his audience knows when he's finished delivering a point (indicated by applause), because I sure don't! This is the same old talking points... "I will open new markets" = "I will continue to outsource American jobs overseas and American employees will rise to the challenge... and if they don't who cares..."

September 4, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |