September 10th, 2008

Obama says 'enough is enough'

Obama speaking in Virginia Wednesday.

Watch: Obama speaking in Virginia Wednesday.

(CNN) — Barack Obama accused the McCain campaign of "lies" and "Swift boat" politics Wednesday, after nearly a day of claims his 'lipstick on a pig' comment was a sexist attack leveled at GOP VP candidate Sarah Palin.

"Spare me the phony outrage. Spare me the phony talk about change," Obama said at the start of an education event in Virginia. "We have real problems in this country right now. The American people are looking to us for answers, not distractions, not diversions, not manipulations. They want real answers to the real problems we are facing.

Watch: 'Spare me,' Obama says

"I don't care what they say about me. But I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phony outrage and swift boat politics," he also said. "Enough is enough."

Obama's heated response came after the McCain campaign said the Illinois senator owes Palin an apology for invoking an old adage on the campaign trail Tuesday: "That's not change," Obama said, saying John McCain’s policy views were similar to President Bush’s. "That's just calling something the same thing something different. You know you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

McCain's campaign said Obama's remarks were offensive and a slap at Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin - despite the fact that the Arizona senator himself used the phrase last year to describe a policy proposal of Hillary Clinton's.

Within minutes, the McCain campaign announced a conference call focused on the remark, which they said was a deliberate reference to Palin's line: "You know the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

UPDATE: Responding to Obama's comments, McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said, "Barack Obama can’t campaign with schoolyard insults and then try to claim outrage at the tone of the campaign."

"His talk of new politics is as empty as his campaign trail promises, and his record of bucking his party and reaching across the aisle simply doesn’t exist," Rogers also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. MD, TX

Nothing wrong with Obama's comment. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if McCain referred to him as Buckwheat, right!

Obama is sexist. He saw that the media did NOTHING when he attacked Hillary and now he can freely continue to rant.

What a pathetic man.

September 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  2. Los

YES! About time Sen. Obama called this woman out on what she is: a distraction.

September 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. Sean from CT

Good job Obama! The Republican claim is ridiculous on two levels.

1) It's a common phrase that people use (I used to hear it all the time when I was growing up)
    2) McCain has used the phrase himself!

In addition, to put into perspective, say that McCain had said something like "the pot calling the kettle black". If the Dems had heard that and declared racism, it would be equally ridiculous because it's a common phrase that people use.

The difference is the Dems have more important things to worry about. Like the COUNTRY!!!

Obama/Biden '08!!

September 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Ned Stegner

It still looks like Karl Rove is still calling the shots for the Republicans. I look at McCain and Palin together, and I feel like I am watching an infomercial for Oreck Vacuum Cleaners, with Mcain as the pitchman, and Palin as the overly effervescent cheerleader.

Enough is Enough.

September 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. John

If they are truly 'lies', then refute them with clear evidence to the contrary.

September 10, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Ga Girl

Obama is nothing more than a EMPTY suit with beautiful words if that is what you want to hear , I for one am behind Mc Cain / Palin all the way

7. Doug

The Republicans must be so afraid of Obama/Biden right now cause no one is buying this McCain/Palin crap.

8. Sallie

Good for Obama! It's ridiculous and very hypocritical of McCain's camp to cry foul over a comment that McCain used himself. I'm glad he called them on it.

9. RMP

If the hoof fits, wear it.

10. Joe Friday

Mc Cain used the same line himself in October, 07. The Naval Academy has a code of honor that includes honesty and lies. It's been so long that McCain's obviously forgotten that. Davis, Schmidt, Bounds and the rest of the "foaming Rovians" have turned to Joseph Goebbels playbook which is to lie often enough and people may belive you.

I deeply regret the effort I put out for John McCain as a County Co-Chair for him in 2000, but it was a different McCain than we're seeing today. They might as well make the campaign Palin/McCain as that is what it appears to be.

Darko, truth is not "Socialistic" nor "Communistic". Lies are. Look no further than Palin/Cain

11. Marie J. Carson City

Sorry, but I think Obama's "joke" was really a hidden reference – so he thinks he can hide behind it. Now his "enough is enough" just says to me, "No, I won't apologize and I want you to lay off me – I can't take the heat!"

What I really see is that while McCain has promised to have Democrats in his cabinet, Obama does nothing but dig the moat deeper between them. My vote will go to the candidate who has shown in the past and promises in the future to include the other party in many parts of the administration. The fact that McCain has done that, and almost became a democrat, tells me he is more centriest than Obama. I want my government to get stuff done, not just block each other's legislation.

The democrats have had time to show me what they can do in Congress: = NOTHING! THEY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY about our economy, where the jobs are going, mortgage crisis – things that they could have done, but too busy writing their own memoirs. That speaks for me, not their pretty speeches.

12. craig

Finally! Please get back on message. Yesterday he was playing right into the hands of the McCain campaign. With their phony anger over that silly pig comment.

McCain an Palin were proberbly snickering the whole time. Get back on the issues. There is a few of us who vote on the issues. Those who don't do not matter anyway.

13. Paizley

For Christmas I think I'll get McCain a movie. "No Country for Old Men"

14. changliu

BEAUTIFUL!! Go Barrack!! you said everything that needs to be said this time. I like the newly coined word of PHONY OUTRAGE. FIGHT ON!

15. Mr. Smith The Republican

As a die hard republican....here is a remark fit for sara....unfit lying thieving pimp my kids out mom...I'm voting Obama

16. Bryan

It's so funny...this article merely states the facts but it makes McCain look like a total idiot/hypocrite/liar.

This guy has no shame.

17. Baker Fam 4 OBAMA

Republicans be VERY AFRAID NOV 4th LOL....

18. Kelly

Don't worry folks, Palin is just the distraction for McCain. Once he's in, we won't see or hear her yapping any longer. tThe good ole boys will make sure this "Pitbull Pup" is chained to the doghouse!
    OBAMA in 2008!

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  19. marilyn

Issues folks. Read up on Palin's religious beliefs and the political nature of their plans. Good place to start is the film Jesus Camp. See what is in store for you if you vote this ticket. As for pitbulls and palin. The difference is pitbulls protect their young.

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. PHT

WAAAHHHH. Obama is decomposing-he cannot handle that Palin is now the star. This man is so scary.
    McCain/Palin 08

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

She is a pig...... a dirty one at that. They can dish it but they sure can't take it.

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. beclear

Ridiculous. It's a common expression. It just proves what most thinking women already know–that MCain picked Palin not because of her experience (she has virtually none) but in a feeble, pandering attempt to snap up ignorant Hillary voters. Think people and pay attention to what is going on here.

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. Alex

The PUMAs are in denial that McCain said the same thing referring to Hillary.

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Derrick - Texas

MCCAIN? NO THANKS! I WANT MY PRESIDENT TO BE SMART!

THE BUSH EXPERIMENT WAS A FAILURE; VOTE FOR THE SMART GUY IN 08

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. Matt, Manchester, CT

It's funny how Obama continues to show the disturbingly thin skin he has. How is he going to handle hostile foreign countries? Is he going to say they're playing unfair as well?

Obama's a liar if he says that those comments had nothing to do w/ the Governor of Alaska. If McCain had said that in a similar situation but after Mrs. Obama made a similar lipstick comment, the media would be labeling him a misogynist. Tell me I'm wrong.

September 10, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |