September 10th, 2008

Obama says 'enough is enough'

Obama speaking in Virginia Wednesday.

Watch: Obama speaking in Virginia Wednesday.

(CNN) — Barack Obama accused the McCain campaign of "lies" and "Swift boat" politics Wednesday, after nearly a day of claims his 'lipstick on a pig' comment was a sexist attack leveled at GOP VP candidate Sarah Palin.

"Spare me the phony outrage. Spare me the phony talk about change," Obama said at the start of an education event in Virginia. "We have real problems in this country right now. The American people are looking to us for answers, not distractions, not diversions, not manipulations. They want real answers to the real problems we are facing.

Watch: 'Spare me,' Obama says

"I don't care what they say about me. But I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phony outrage and swift boat politics," he also said. "Enough is enough."

Obama's heated response came after the McCain campaign said the Illinois senator owes Palin an apology for invoking an old adage on the campaign trail Tuesday: "That's not change," Obama said, saying John McCain’s policy views were similar to President Bush’s. "That's just calling something the same thing something different. You know you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

McCain's campaign said Obama's remarks were offensive and a slap at Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin - despite the fact that the Arizona senator himself used the phrase last year to describe a policy proposal of Hillary Clinton's.

Within minutes, the McCain campaign announced a conference call focused on the remark, which they said was a deliberate reference to Palin's line: "You know the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

UPDATE: Responding to Obama's comments, McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said, "Barack Obama can’t campaign with schoolyard insults and then try to claim outrage at the tone of the campaign."

"His talk of new politics is as empty as his campaign trail promises, and his record of bucking his party and reaching across the aisle simply doesn’t exist," Rogers also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. kristin

Obama should have just came out and apologized but he mocked again. He never admits he was wrong. He said today I don't care if they go after me, well then why did he jump on one of the networks for going after him. And why does he lie when he says I will debate McCain anytime anywhere any place. One coming up only because he has to. He is beat and he knows he is and the democrats know he is, you can see it in his face. I am an independent usually always voting democrat and I can see it plain as day and night. I will vote for McCain/Palin . Obama scares me with his ties to Rezko, Ayers, Wright, and his studies of saul Alinsky.

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. WOW

Mccain and the repubs can dish it but can't take........I loved the way the congresswomen from Florida pinned that joke from the GOP against the wall yesterday on Chris Mattews.

GO CONGRESSWOMEN....

Obama/Biden 08

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. FL4OB

That's right–eight is ENOUGH!

I agree with Hillary Clinton: No way, No how, No McCain, No Palin

Decency '08–Obama/Biden

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  4. Jeff Murphy

What's the old saying....

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear."

That phrase is perfect with regard to the McSame/Phalin ticket .... and how nice of McSame to immediately think of his beautiful running mate as a pig with lipstick.

Obama / Palin now there is a ticket I would support without reservation.

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  5. sm

Obama says that Palin was FOR the bridge to nowhere before she was AGAINST it.

Obama was AGAINST off shore drilling before he was FOR it.

The difference here is REMARKABLE.

She was For it when she was MAYOR but against it as GOVERNOR.
    Two different jobs with different RESPONSABILITIES.

Obama was BOTH for and against it during the SAME PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN running as a candidate without prior EXPERIENCE and RESPONSABILITIES and Changing his opinion overnight !!!!

Obama is too RISKY and cannot be TRUSTED.

Obama bin Biden NO WAY !!!!!!

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. JET

Go Obama...you are EXACTLY right with these comments....and I agree with the Sex Ed Ad...perverted, disgusting on McCain's part.

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. D Va.

It is about time. If the American people cannot see the same tactics being used as in the last two elections, then perhaps Education should be the first priority. School yard bully tactics has no place in such an important part of how this country will tackle all of the problems that we face (due to the last eight years of this administration). Obama is right, there are too many serious issues to try and solve. Rove should take his game to the school-yard where it belongs. ENOUGH OF GOTCHA POLITICS.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08---Maturity over childish games!!!!!!!!!!

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. Jen

The Republican party is a DISGRACE, and America is fed up with the Karl Rove tactics and petty bickering. Is this how John McCain is going to run his presidency? We have TWO wars going on, the economy is in the tank, food and energy prices have skyrocketed....and the McCain campaign is talking about LIPSTICK??????

And as far as that goes.....if Sarah Palin can't play with the big dogs, she should get the hell off the field! She talks a good talk, but I've yet to see her 'walk the walk'! She's only proven to be Bush in a skirt.

September 10, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. Chris

Wake up America! How many times do you have to be beat over the head with these ridiculous, uneducated, lowlife Republicans?

Let's not look back 25 years from now and realize that Bush, McCain and the Republican party simply do not know how to govern, four more years of McCain and this country will be in a state of disrepair taht will never be fixed.

10. Shaking My Head

Shon & hrg

Just ignore Anonymous, he has been on every single blog since the primaries as a paid repbulican goonie to criticize and make intelligent people think that there is more support for the McLoser & now the MsLipstick camp than there is. You are obviously more intelligent as are 95% of the people on these blogs and I sure hope that is representative of the results on Nov 4th.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

11. FreeNLovIt

It is the most wonderful thing that was ever said by our politicians, this and the thing about the fish..

12. Allan dallas

Words do matter. Wake up America. No obama. Obama stupid when he did not take Hillary. He will be easy winner . What a judgment.??

13. Jonathan

McCain said the same thing last year, and now he's outraged? The Republicans have become disgusting. I live in a city that doesn't have very many of them (Boulder, Colorado) and I wish those that are here would leave. Colorado Springs would welcome them.

14. Rose in CA

The fact that he used the phrase right after Palin put it in the spotlight – (Biden too!) – please, everyone in that audience knew what a "nuanced" reply it was!

I love how all the Obamabots on this blog keep writing "ENOUGH"...the Thought Police has them, and now they can't even use different language. I bunch of plagerizing dummies is what the DNC has become, how sad.

Oh yeah, I'm one of those life long democrats, never voted republican, Hillary supporter, disillusioned by my part and this presidential race!

McCain/Palin PUMA

15. ATLian

Typical Karl Rove tactics. Get em Obama.

16. LB

Being a POW does not qualify you for the President of the USA. I'm sick of all the McCain and Palin distractions and lies to the American people. All they ever say is Obama did this and Obama does that, but they never talk about their issues/policies. I don't have a clue most of the time what they stand for. Palin is more interested in showboating and being the center of TV attention that actual policies. Even her State Senators have confirmed this. She wants the glamour but not the buck stops here on decisions. She's an empty headed moron.

17. NoMoreGames

John Mccain is old enough to not be finger pointing – heck he's old to be Obama grandfather. The "he said"/"she said" is nothing short of childish baby games. Our country is at a low point and we need someone to take us out of this awful situation and get our country on the right track. I'm tired of seeing things like this, lets focus on the issues and the most important decision of Americans are facing today. Who can better lead us in a direction of change??

18. Anne

This is why I hate politics. It's all mudd slinging and nothing gets done. I don't think Obama was talking about Palin when he made the pig comment. I have to tell you though, she is scary and I have decided I won't vote for MCCain because I don't like or trust her.

19. Larry M

I am so sickened by Republican attacks that twist and turn the facts. Enough. Enough. Enough. Enough. I've had enough. I don't want to hear any more platitudes. What are you going to do for the Country McCain? Which direction are you going to take us in? What are you going to 'change'? Who is Sarah Pain? Enough. Obama is right. He shouldn't respond and he shouldn't attack back. He should correct the facts and falsehoods and then tell us what he is going to do for us. McCain is going to fight fight fight. What is he fighting? Himself, his party, his party ideology? What alternate reality is McCain living in?

20. VERN IN OKLAHOMA BY WAY OF NEW ORLEANS

PALIN IS A LIAR!! SHE SUPPORTED THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE HER OWN WORDS PROVES IT..EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD KNOW THIS......PALIN SAID “I’m hearing from a lot of Southeast residents who believe that maybe they haven’t been given their due respect,” she said. “Part of my agenda is making sure that Southeast is heard. That your projects are important. That we go to bat for Southeast when we’re up against federal influences that aren’t in the best interest of Southeast.”

She cited the widespread negative attention focused on the Gravina Island crossing project.

“We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge and not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that’s so negative,” Palin said…

“There needs to be a link between Ketchikan and its future and its future opportunities and progress, opening up land in this area,” she said.
    THIS IS NEWS WHEN YOU CONSIDERD THAT IF SOMETHING HAPPEN TO MCCAIN SHE WOULD BE THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD

21. Kim, Georgia

WAY TO GO OBAMA!! Those(RETHUGLICANS)know that you have got this ELECTION locked down. To all the people who now say OBAMA has lost your vote(trust me, you were never gonna vote for him anyway). anybody who would want MCCAIN/PALIN (has got serious issues) see a DOCTOR PLEASE!!!!!!!!! OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

22. April Garlow

Now Obama says enough is enough, he's like the kid that runs outside, hits another kid, then runs inside to mama and says they're picking on me.What an immature attitude this man has!

23. brad

McCain is clearly using, hiding, and cowardly taking advantage of Palin. Really sad and pathetic.

24. Barbara Chicago, IL

HEY REPUBLICANS, WHERE IS BIN LADEN? HERE COMES SEPTEMBER 11 AGAIN AND STILL NO SIGN OF HIM.

I DONT KNOW HOW YOU CAN CLAIM YOU MADE US SAFER BECAUSE HE'S STILL OUT THERE.

BUSH,MCAIN, CHANEY, PALIN, RICE.......WHERE IS BIN LADEN?????

25. Come now

Temper, temper.... Mr. Obama your arrogance is astonishing, particularly since you have no valid reason to be so arrogant.