September 16th, 2008

NEW AD: McCain says he can keep jobs safe

McCain is out with a new ad touting his ability to promote the economy.

McCain is out with a new ad touting his ability to promote the economy.

(CNN) - John McCain released a new television ad Tuesday telling voters he will protect them from the nation's economic woes: "Your savings, your jobs ... I'll keep them safe."

"The economy is in crisis. Enough is enough. I'll meet this financial crisis head on," McCain says in the new ad - the first in several weeks from his presidential campaign that does not attack Obama directly.

"Reform Wall Street. New rules for fairness and honesty. I won't tolerate a system that puts you and your family at risk," he also says. "Your savings, your jobs ... I'll keep them safe."

Obama sharply criticized McCain on Monday when the Arizona senator said the fundamentals of the economy are still strong, even as the 158-year-old investment firm Lehman Brothers shocked Wall Street when it filed for bankruptcy protection. McCain later said he was referencing the strength of American workers.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Barney

Can he get my 25 years of experience job back from the mid-east? I sure would like to make that again – instead of being retrained for an $8/hr "high-paying" entry level position.

September 16, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. White/female/age 55/Texan

I wonder if he even knows what a 401k is?

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Sandy - PA

This is the most ridiculous one I've seen yet. McCain is a HUGE proponent of outsourcing. Jeez, he was in favor of selling control of US ports to Dubai. McCain also has fought every effort to secure the border, even though he represents Arizona, one of the states hit hardest by illegal immigration. He is also a proponent of H1 and L1 legislation, and voted to extend those programs. So how exactly is McCain "saving our jobs?" Please.

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Tainopower

MCCAIN PREDICATED THIS KIND OF DISASTER IN 2005 AND THE MEDIA IS NOT REPORTING THIS. HE PLACE A PLAN ON THE SENATE AND THE DEMOCRATS VOTED DOWN.

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Foreign observer

He lies but runs a strong propaganda campaign. His friend the Georgian Sakashwilli is also a liar and does it same way. When elected McCain will treat the russian bear as Palin is doing with the moose. Way to distract from the economic desaster.

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. KJL

What's he going to do, break Cindy's piggy bank?

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. NoMoreEvil

.............And pigs with lipstick can fly.

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Sarah.....and my last name isn't Palin!

Sorry I'm not buying what you're selling Mr McCain. You can't fix what you don't know. I want action not a study!

Obama/Biden '08

September 16, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. GOP Woman for Obama

I finally agree with McCain...Enough is enough! Enough of his lies, enough of his distractions, enough of him! America do the right thing and put a real leader in the White House!

I voted for McCain in February (Washington Caucus) but Obama is the better man and I'm proud to be supporting a Democrat for the first time in my life!

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. Barney

Sounds to me as tho John McCain is supporting Barack Obama. He keeps quoting him.

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Trish

Somebody must have copied all of Obama's phrases down for him or he would have never remembered them all! Why not try to come up with one of your own John? Isn't it enough your a Carbon Copy of Bush without trying to Copy Obama too!

For a more Crumbling Economy, Less Savings and No Jobs – Vote for John McCain, George Bush's Indentical Twin. They will keep your Nation in the same Great Shape it's been in for eight years!

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. Tom

We are supposed to trust a Republican on this?? Who was responsible for all the deregulation of the financial industry over the past 2 decades? Oh yeah, the OTHER Republicans, the ones JM has been huddling with all these years, NOT the ones he hangs with since the RNC!!

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. Grant

Interesting , McCain will save your job, but behind the big curtains his party is shipping jobs overseas right and left. McCain lose one his homes , he has six left , you lose yours how many do you have left?

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  14. Grace Needed

Senator McCain, how do your propose to do this when you are on of the chief engineers of its cause? You voted for deregulation. We don't trust you to get us out of the mess because you are one of the folks that got us into it. Plus, you have the very same lobbyists that favor these corporations working for you. Who are you kidding? Enough is enough is right. Enough of you and the likes of you and Palin – lying, reckless judgments and cronyism. We've had it and we aren't going to take it anymore!

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. obamacrat

Even though he doesn't know much about the econony he is going to reform it. Even though he picked a VP that doesn't know that Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were privately held companies or what an "Entitlement Program" is, he is going to reform the economy. I'm surprised he hasn't worked the term "surge" into his speeches as of late. You know something like...."what this country needs is as economic surge".

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  16. Willcnnapprovethis?

Who's jobs?

China?

India? Under Bush those countries have been doing great!

Obama/Biden 08 12.

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. Florida Voter

McCain Pleeeeeeze!!!! and those that believe you should turn in their notice now you are a disaster waiting to happen

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. lip

Excuse me, but wasn't it during Clintons administration that this huge meltdown had it's beginnings? Wasn't it Bill Clinton that relaxed all the rules that govern the financial institutions to make it a more amendable environment for them? Boy, look what happens when you give someone the pocketbook and then tell them to help themselves. Why is it always the Republicans fault whenever the Democrats do something and then stand around pointing their crooked fingers at everyone else, except themselves?
    Get real folks, Let's put blame where it belongs for a "change".

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Dabby, FL

I still think McCain is a decent man, but his campaign is a cancer. The campaign has taken a decent man and ran him into the ground with sleazy antics.

Barack is a decent man and has been tempted to do what McCain is doing, but he's wants to show America that there's a better way.

Let's focus on the issues, fellow Americans and stop the name calling. The issues are what's going to put gas in my car, and food on my table. The issues are what I want to teach my kids about, not name calling. We could easily get caught up in women, seniors and African Americans, but the candidates deserve better, both of them.

America 08
    The whole world is watching, we can do better.

September 16, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  20. Joe in StL

Too late.

McCain had his chance as a senator and failed to vote for measures that would have helped us avoid this mess.

From Obama's speech today:

"In February of 2006, I introduced legislation to stop mortgage transactions that promoted fraud, risk or abuse. A year later, before the crisis hit, I warned Secretary Paulson and Chairman Bernanke about the risks of mounting foreclosures and urged them to bring together all the stakeholders to find solutions to the subprime mortgage meltdown. Senator McCain did nothing. "

"Last September, I stood up at NASDAQ and said it's time to realize that we are in this together - that there is no dividing line between Wall Street and Main Street - and warned of a growing loss of trust in our capital markets. Months later, Senator McCain told a newspaper that he'd love to give them a solution to the mortgage crisis, "but" - he said - "I don't know one."

"This March, in the wake of the Bear Stearns bailout, I called for a new, 21st century regulatory framework to restore accountability, transparency, and trust in our financial markets. Just a few weeks earlier, Senator McCain made it clear where he stands: "I'm always for less regulation," he said, and referred to himself as "fundamentally a deregulator."

That is real leadership from Obama.

September 16, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. doob

He will protect all of us with guns,bibles and lies.

Obama 08!

September 16, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. OUBon

Why does McCain keep repeating Obama's themes? Probably the same reason he'll keep repeating Bush's failed policies.

We don't need a crystal ball to see the future, just look at Bush, age him a bit, make him balled and then give him a POW story.

Hey, we've seen you before!!

September 16, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. Dee Okla.

I guess it ok for mcsane use Obama's idea and talking points but as soon as Obama uses his pig stuff always a double standard

September 16, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. kevin

Yeah right......all I hear from Palin and McCain mouth is "we are going to reform Washington" however, they seem to be forgetting the specifics that go along with it. Oh wait I take that back, they say the are going to eliminate emark but yet Palin took something like 23 million dollars, however, she didn't spend it for the intended purpose and decided the state would just keep the money. What the hell? Talk about picking a canidate with different views. How much sense does that make? Oh wait, this is a part of the game McCain is playing a game. He picked a women simply to take the vote away from obama since he didn't pick Clinton. What a bunch of crap. I hate this election, I'm tired of the games.

September 16, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Rosa

"enough is enough"??? next thing you know he'll claim his name is Jorack McBama.

Grow up Mr. McCain. You are the standard bearer of the Republican Party. You bragged this morning "I was chairman of the commerce committee. Every part of America's economy, I oversighted. I have a long record" . You and party created this mess. Enough is enough.

September 16, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |