September 16th, 2008

NEW AD: McCain says he can keep jobs safe

McCain is out with a new ad touting his ability to promote the economy.

McCain is out with a new ad touting his ability to promote the economy.

(CNN) - John McCain released a new television ad Tuesday telling voters he will protect them from the nation's economic woes: "Your savings, your jobs ... I'll keep them safe."

"The economy is in crisis. Enough is enough. I'll meet this financial crisis head on," McCain says in the new ad - the first in several weeks from his presidential campaign that does not attack Obama directly.

"Reform Wall Street. New rules for fairness and honesty. I won't tolerate a system that puts you and your family at risk," he also says. "Your savings, your jobs ... I'll keep them safe."

Obama sharply criticized McCain on Monday when the Arizona senator said the fundamentals of the economy are still strong, even as the 158-year-old investment firm Lehman Brothers shocked Wall Street when it filed for bankruptcy protection. McCain later said he was referencing the strength of American workers.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. gene

He says.. but he hasn't offered any details.

He's running on GHW Bush's ideas... read my lips.. no new taxes.. and that'll solve everything. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that we have this thing called a national debt.. and we need taxes to offset this and repay the debts.

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Latinos for Obama/Biden

and pigs can fly!

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. An Independent Mind

This blatant co-signing on Obama's theme is amazing. So pretty much the McCain campaign is trying to benefit from Obama's appeal by trying to look like the Obama campaign. This is an idea so stupid that it might actually work. He must really think American are that stupid.

Granted we're not the smartest but we're definitely not the dumbest. and I think after being on the fence for so long (and being a political news junkie), I've finally made a choice.

HOPE

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Sandra, Oregon

uh huh, how many gullible people are going to trust McCant to fix our economic woes. He's in George W's pocket, voted with him 90% of the time, he or his VP running mate have zero experience, continue to believe him and Palin's lies and we'll all suffer four more years. I'm still lmao off over his blackberry claim and how unimaginative he is, he has to run off of Obama's slogans.

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  5. NIKKI, SACRAMENTO CA

Senator Mccain is really out of touch. A ten year old knows we have a bad economy. Thats why you need to take care home before taking care of other people's business. We went to war and we still can't Osma. So what was your real reason for the Irag war?

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Holy senile old fools batman!

LMAO. Sh^t! I just p^ssed myself!

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. America The Beautiful

Sometimes when I want to smile, I'll turn on the TV and watch the US men's basketball final at the Olympics 2008. I love watching Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade and the others. They put their egos aside and won one for the country. When they won, they were jumping up and down like school kids in the yard. It was great. The commentator reminded us that these guys were multi-millionaires, but this win meant everything to them.

I'm hoping that will happen in this election. I hope who ever wins will invite their opponent to the White House for dinner (start a new tradition) that will tell the world, that in the end, we're all Americans.

America 08

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. terry

He keeps changing his message...wonder why?

September 16, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Isabelle

McCain's use of "CHANGE"......"Enough is enough"....

Aren't those cases of blatant PLAGIARISM??

A "reformer"??? All he does is "reform" his words & slogans by using someone else's.

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. pat

I trust John McCain to keep our jobs safe more than I would that slick talking lawyer Barry – ummm, I mean Barack or BO to his cult. Obama is bad for America and it's terrifying to think of him as president. For real change, we need the Mavericks of McCain/Palin 08/12. Even Clinton won't be able to save BO at this point. The Democrats are a lost cause.

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Al

He will keep your money safe, well once he takes it from you

Also the Economy is strong, well as he said the hard workers and the fundamentals, as im sure all his top Business pals told him they make their employees work VERY hard and they make lots money. So Economy must be good.

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. Republican For Obama

Sure you can John, BTW I was a foot soldier for John Mccain in 2000. I even wrote his name in on the general election ballot. I don't know who this fool is thats running today....BUT HE IS NO JOHN MCCAIN !!!

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. no trickle down...

Really? He wasn't concerned about keeping your jobs safe for the last 8 years.

He's dead right on this one – Enough is ENOUGH!
    enough of the Bush/McCain Republican financial failure!

Remember the Clinton Democrat Days?
    Record employment
    Financial surplus
    Fiscal responsibility
    Prosperity

How did the Bush/McCain Republicans mess it up so badly?!
    McCain had 8 years to keep jobs safe – He didn't.

And since he is under the illusion that more of the same policies from the last 8 years will bring reform for the next 4, He is doomed to failure!

Time for ACTUAL change – out with the OLD in with the NEW!

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. RationalPeople4McCain

Being an angry liberal doesnt serve as qualification to critique McCains economic policy. Our economic policy in its right is by measurable standards stable. We are in a financial recession applying only to money and lending related businesses. The 2 yr dem ruled congress has cut down any attempt to mediate rules on Wall St. Nobama wants to raise capital gains taxes among other policies to reverse the current situation. When you people are done making out with Karl Marx you may want to read up on it. None of this matters however being that the flash in the pan dem race is declining and will continue to do so. Have fun scraping off those bumperstickers. CNN please allow at least 1 conservative opinion on this post

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  15. tornado1972

McCain owe the American People a big I'm Sorry, this is not country first! But it's really sad for this race to be this close given our situation in this great Country!!

Please my fellow Americans see the light vote Obama!

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  16. Democrat from AZ

"Enough is enough"? Why does McCain try to sound like Senator Obama lately? I will continue to pray that the democrats are smarter then the republicans they they are. NO MCCAIN!!

September 16, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. jon

ladies and gentlemen,

there comes a time in everyone's life where they get to experience a great leader. A person who can unite this country and fix some of our most dire problems. No, they can't do it all, but they have the vision to lead the way for future generations to progress into the second half of the 21st century. People like John and Bobby Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King Jr., Bill Clinton, and now BARACK OBAMA. Because, honestly, who do you REALLY think will be a better leader and will have the potential to change this country for the better, Not change in a "woo-hoo change" type change, but concrete, substantial change for the betterment of this country? John Mccain or Barack Obama. The old Nixonesque type candidate, or the young Lincolnesque candidate. I'm tired of hearing that a certain candidate has no experience, DO YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?!??!?! Abraham Lincoln had LESS experience than Obama, and he managed to unite this country and manage to maintain it from falling apart. Nixon was forced to resign. WHO DO YOU WANT TO BE THE LEADER OF THE 21ST CENTURY?? THE MAN WITH NEW, FRESH, AND PEACEFUL IDEAS OR THE MAN WHO SUPPORTS THE FAILED BUSH WAR POLICIES OF THE LAST 7 YEARS??? I'm going to be a part of history when I vote for Obama, you can be those people who sit there and watch Obama become victorious, like Kennedy or Reagan or Lincoln, OR you can be someone to help GET HIM ELECTED! TAKE PART IN HISTORY, I DONT WANT TO BE PART OF THE WORST ERA OF PRESIDENCIES IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY!

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. Justin, ny

i didn't think the McCain camp KNEW how to run a positive ad.... of course, this still doesn't tell us HOW he plans on doing anything.. because in order for him to do that, he would have to publicly announce that he will continue the Bush economic plan – political suicide.

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. K. Gratt

Last time a Bush ran this country's economy off the rails (The Savings and Loan Disaster) John McCain was in it up to his eyeballs (Keating 5). Why should we believe anything he says now?
    In fact, when you don't want to take action you appoint a committee, which is what McCain has promised.

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. Ex-Republican - Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me.

He can talk all he wants, but his record in the Senate says otherwise....when will the American people learn that he is just saying what they want to hear. He and Bush created the mess we are in....no Bush 44!

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. James

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! No Way, No How, No McCain/Hockey Mom!

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Jason

"Your savings, your jobs...I'll keep them safe."

HOW?

McCain never says how he'll do these things. Not one bit of a plan. Not one idea as to correcting things that his buddy Bush set in motion.

Please, just tell me how and maybe I'll start believing your empty words.

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. His and Her Ignorance

riiight.. u've done so much for american workers thus far

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. G

What a bunch of B.S anyone with half a brain can figure this out. Yeah keep jobs for the CEOs and his corporate lobbyist friends. Remember his campaign manager his OWN CAMPAIGN MANAGER RICK DAVIS said this campaign would NOT be about the ISSUES but about PERSONALITY. What more does the Mccain camp have to do to tell the American people we don't care about you at all.

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. jeff finney

The only jobs safe in a McCain administration will be the lobbyists he hires to run the country on his behalf. This man is a confirmed liar and has no honor to speak of. The fact is that John McCain was shot down after disobeying orders to scrub his mission. He did not, and was shot down and held as a POW for five and a half years. Great judgement, huh? This is why he's famous? Has John McCain ever even held a job that wasn't on the government's dime?

September 16, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |