September 18th, 2008

Protesters interrupt Palin and McCain speeches

John McCain and Sarah Palin were interrupted by protestors Thursday.

John McCain and Sarah Palin were interrupted by protestors Thursday.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CNN) - Sarah Palin’s introduction of John McCain in Cedar Rapids Thursday was noisily interrupted by a small group of anti-war protesters from the University of Iowa, who sparked a back-and-forth of shouting that drowned out at least four minutes of her remarks.

Palin kept speaking throughout the disruption, but her remarks were nearly unintelligible to much of the audience inside the airplane hangar where the rally was held.

About five minutes into Palin’s speech, four female students from the University of Iowa Feminist Majority and Anti-War Alliance held up a cloth banner, and began a loud anti-war chant in the middle of the crowd. An advance staffer tore the banner from their hands and other members of the audience shouted them down with chants of “USA! USA!” and “SARAH! SARAH!”

It was several minutes before the women were escorted from the venue.

The demonstration should have come as no surprise to McCain-Palin advance staff: a local newspaper, The Gazette, reported earlier that the protesters would be in attendance Thursday.

Another protester disrupted McCain’s speech about half an hour later, sparking an even louder, but shorter, commotion.

Palin stumbled out of the gate on arriving in Cedar Rapids. The Alaska governor told the audience that she was thrilled to be in “Grand Rapids,” the Michigan city where the campaign had just overnighted.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Kristen

The robot Palin probably had no idea a protest was going on just like she and McCain had no idea there was an economic crisis until Monday. And how did McCain respond? By copying almost every part of the plan Obama has advocated for years. Obama requested an immediate sit-down with the Fed Reserve in Feb 2006–almost 3 years ago–to try to get the Fed to address what Obama saw as certain future economic disaster. That request was ignored, and we are where we are because of it. Don't tell me Obama lacks judgment and experience. We need a level-headed, thoughtful, yet tough Pres like Obama after the war-mongering, no brains, tough talk approach McCain's advocated. Think McCain's changed? Look at the immediate inflammatory reaction he had with Russia when they invaded Georgia. Most agree that McCain's coarse rhetoric ruined what would've been a situation easily resolved by diplomacy. Obama was initially diplomatic on the Russia/Georgia situation, as he should be, by rightfully noting that both sides caused the dispute. But when McCain worsened the situation by once again taking the black/white, good v. evil approach, Russia got ticked, pushed further into Georgia, and made it clear that they did so as a response to McCain's rhetoric. At that point, Obama had no choice but to echo the tough talk since the window of diplomacy was shattered by a fiery brick named McCain. McCain then had the nerve to accuse Obama of flip-flopping on the Georgia issue. McCain screwed it up! Palin has made it very clear that she wants to war with Russia. And why could this be . . . well, by threatening a new Cold War, the GOP will convice us that we need to "protect" Georgia, Armenia, Kazakstan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, etc. These countries just happen to be oil rich and for the most part, politically volatile. The GOP asks for freedom from foreign oil, but their actions clearly say otherwise. Obama/Biden 08

September 18, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. A voter

Palin's stumble just underscores that she doesn't have ANY experience, not international nor national. She is just plain stupid, but dengerous.
    Wake up women of America!

September 18, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. AntiBrenda

Its very sad for repubs right now when they want to support their party whole heartedly but the couple representing the party are idiots.
    Can you imagine being in the shoes of an intelligent republican right about now who has to sit down to listen and apploud hockey mom's foreign policy and then McCain's economic plan speeches?
    My heart bleeds.

September 18, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. Proud to be a Repulican

I don't think I have ever lived in a time where I have seen so much hate. The liberals are the most evil of them all. This is a group that practices intolerance? They only thing they tolerate is each other. I have seen many blogs from people saying that Sarah Palin scares them to death. The only thing that scares me is the type of people that write this hate. What is exactly is wrong with you people? It is much deeper than politics.

September 18, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Joe

Why does Palin wear a lapel pin with a star in it, where is the Republican outrage for not wearing the FLAG lapel pin like they tried to crucify Obama for?

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. DEMOCRAT I N H I DING

W E ' R E--A T---T H E---T W O--Y E A R---M A R K--O F-

TH E---D E M O C R A TI C--C O N T RO L L E D----

C O N G R E S S---D O I N G----N O T H I N G---

H O L D---T H EM--–A CC O U N T AB LE

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Gail

The lipstick is wearing off...

There are 11,000,000 (that's 11 million) more registered Dems than Repugs this election cycle and we're all voting for the truthful, honest, team.

Obama/Biden !!!

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Democrat and Christian

Well it seems the more people see and hear Palin , the more are making up their minds that she is not presidential material.

MCcain always seems very uncomfortable on stage with her. I think he is always on guard for a bigger than big gaff that will sink his ship.

The protesters make no difference in the middle of a GOP base that would be out to see the GOP Bush twin and his poor pick for VP.

People just need to look at the issues and forget about getting Palin's autograph ...

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Bill

Liberals are so amusing. They believe that you are entitled to your opinion, as long as you agree with them.

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. The moderate

Glad to see people in Iowa are not a bunch of robotic idiot sheep like the people of ohio and florida and have embraced the 21st century rather than drag the last 3 centuries with them. If people want a scapegoat for how horrible things have gotten in this nation, the morons in florida who voted Bush are a great pick.

September 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Rosa Birmingham, AL

I'm suprised, I thought the attendees at these republican events were heavily screened. How did they get in the building? In any case I'm glad, I'm sick of the Republs getting away with all this faux good publicity.

September 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. McCain for Pres.

Its sad when people try to use their rights to infringe on the rights of others. These women didn't have to scream. They could have asked intellegent questions to show their disapproval. But this is what the Obama campaign is – people who yell and scream and name call like 2 yr. olds. How do they think this will bring this country together???

September 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Matt

Gotta love those gals!

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. Marc, Canada

Anytime anyone drowns out that screechy school girl voice of Sarah Palin, it's a welcome interruption.

September 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. scared

What ever happened with Sarah Palin's investigation and did she ever reveal her tax returns??? Why does she get special priveleges.??Its so scary.
    Obama08

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Matt

OBAMA – the SANE choice.

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Kenneth

If McCain gets elected, this is what you have to look forward to for the next four years...

PROTEST
    ANGER
    DISUNITY
    DIVISION

...the same as you got with the Bush years.

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. jENNIFER

So the thinking people would rather have Obama. Let me see he wants to take you choices away and make them the governments choice. He is the worste candidate, the most liberal I have ever seen. Remember Dem's I will see you at the polls in February!!

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. Paula

Still don't understand why CNN runs long segments of Repubs speeches but not much or little for Michelle and Biden??????????

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. dm

Talk about needing a teleprompter – who has to take his teleprompter everywhere he goes from now on? Obama. He can't seem to talk straight or get his facts right. His campaign is so fearful he's going to make a big mistake. Wait til the debates!

And regarding Biden with his "patriotic" statement. He and his wife made well over $300,000 each of the last two years, and one year they gave to charity over $300; the other year just a bit over $900. I thought that's what democrats were all about – helping the underprivileged. Sorry excuse for Americans! I just wonder why that's not a news item with this left-sided media.

I think it's funny how the democrats are scared – they never thought the race would be this close. I've never seen such ridiculous behavior from the democrats. Some of the things I have heard make me sick. What was up with all the protestors arrested during the RNC? Didn't see that at the DNC – guess we know how to be adults and protest within the limits of the law!

Regardless of who wins, some of the democrats have made total fools of themselves – how shameful!

September 18, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. Debra

What happened to the right to free speech??? Tearing the banner down was uncalled for. I am glad the protestors interrupted McPalin. The Republicans tout thier superiority and demonize the Democrat's, yet who always has protestors. P.S. Love the comment about "I can see a gas station from my kitchen window" can I be your (McCain) Energy Advisor??

September 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. DJ Los Angeles

McWarmonger keeps getting protesters interupting?

Maybe if he wasn't so obsessed about Iraq and acting macho against bananna republic dictators he wouldn't get that type of reception everywhere he goes.

September 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. Kentucky

Here I was thinking my neice was a big baby...then I saw McCain's campaign. I just don't understand how people can vote for a big baby. If he's crying this much over Obama calling him out, ads, or criticism...I can't imagine what he was like as a POW when they were untying him to let him rest while the others stayed tied up. Don't believe me?? Look it up.

September 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Lupien

Will a good American soul explain to me why they say McCain is a hero. He flew over North Vietnam where he dropped bombs that killed innocent people, destroyed bridges and roads, and he did it over and over again. He is lucky to be alive, he could have been hanged as a war criminel.

September 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. Shari, NY

Who knows for sure if the protesters were Dems? Anti-war knows NO BOUNDARIES. By the way, McCain looks petrified in the photo.

September 18, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |