September 24th, 2008

Polls show McCain, Obama nearly tied in Virginia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/24/art.polls.gi.jpg caption="McCain holds a very narrow lead in Virginia."](CNN) - A new CNN poll of polls out of Virginia Wednesday shows John McCain with the slimmest of leads in what is a state that has traditionally been considered a safe bet for Republicans.

The latest round of polls could be a clear warning sign for McCain six weeks before Election Day that the Republican presidential nominee still has work to do to lock down certain states that previous GOP nominees had to spend little time or effort doing so.

In the latest poll of polls, the Arizona senator only holds a 1 point lead over Barack Obama (47-46 percent) while 7 percent remain undecided. The poll of polls is an average of three recent surveys of the state.

The Obama campaign has long targeted Virginia as part of their strategy to expand the electoral map, feeling it is virtually impossible for McCain to win the White House if the Illinois senator is victorious in traditionally red states.

Update: The McCain campaign held a conference call with reporters to give their view of recent poll trends Wednesday morning, including polling averages that show tight races in the most crucial battleground states.

Watch for new CNN polls out of Colorado, Montana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin at 4 p.m.!

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. Brian

Let us do more mobilisation to take Ohio. i will be done.
    Obama 08

September 24, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. Ted:Canada

MINING

Virginia Coal Miners – we have mines up here Canada and we also have the Uinted Steel Workers

The republicans have hurt the mine industry and more importantly – the miners – THE PEOPLE!

– we know this – first hand!

GET RID OF THEM!

September 24, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. karen-phoenix

Thank you God!!! I pray every nite for Obama/Biden!!! They are the only hope the American people have!!! McCain has destroyed this country as Chairman of the Commerce Commission and ALL his deregulations for his rich cronnies!!! He should have gone to jail in the Keating 5 scandale but Cindy's money bought him out!!! NOT this time!!!! I'd like to see the FBI put some charges on McCain!!!
    America is waking up!!! Fluff, stupidity and money will not save this country but intelegence and communication will!!! GO Obama/BIden

September 24, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Dr. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

NO THINKING PERSON IS GOING TO PUT IN OFFICE THE

SAME PACK OF HYENAS THAT RAPED OUR ECONOMY, &

LED US INTO A WAR THAT MUTILATED OUR CHILDREN

AND DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY FOR NOTHING OTHER

THE MONETARY GAIN OF THE SLEAZY, GREEDY FEW.

* * * * * NO BAIL OUT FOR THEIR FRIENDS EITHER * * * * *

September 24, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. Jason

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Toronto. My mother is a 62 yr-old woman, a US citizen who has lived in Canada for 40 years. My folks aren't very political; they follow politics, but not intently. My mother has never casted a vote in her life. But in a few days she is going to drive from her small town in Ontario to Toronto to register to vote for the first time. Her vote will be cast in the state of the last address where her parents lived. Virginia.

She has always admired John McCain, but felt that Sarah Palin was perhaps a weak choice for VP, and that her views on women's rights shoddy. And then my mother got morally offended. In their retirement, my folks have taken to "community organizing" and she decided that she had to do something after the Republicans at their convention belittled the work my folks and others like them do for others in their community. She has taken to helping adults who can't read to read. It is no laughing matter to them.

Next week she will register to vote as a Democrat, and cast the very first vote of her life for a black man, something she says she never thought she'd see happen in her lifetime in America. I didn't see this coming. I told her, "You know that Virginia tends to vote Republican even though it's really close this time, don't you?" and she said, "Well....it only needs to go blue by one!".

I couldn't be more proud, and I hope that on election night that Virginia is the key indicator of change coming into fruition and spreading across the entire country.

September 24, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. McHoover Would Destroy What's Left of America

Republicans would vote for a cardboard cut out of Reagan.

September 24, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  7. LaJuan

GET over it white america, A BLACK MAN IS READY TO LEAD!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

September 24, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  8. Shannon

Virginia didn't go double digits for Clinton in the primary. Obama won Virginia hands down. It was West Virginia he lost. Don't get it twisted.

September 24, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  9. Eric (formerly of Virginia)

LOU WROTE:
    I really cant see a state like virginia going Barrack Obama's way. It went double digits to Hillary in the primary after his bitter folk clinging to guns comment. I dont think the feelings for barac have changed that dramatically.

MY RESPONSE:
    Not true, Obama beat Hillary in VA by 29 points. I still find it unlikely VA is going for Obama, but I can promise that if it goes Obama; the election is over.

September 24, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. Gidget Leaves Alaska

Please SNL, do a skit on how fast Gidget runs from microphones. It's really funny.

Tommy, you are right on the money. McLame is scared of intelligent woman and surrounds himself with trophy women who won't challenge him. Cindy Lou looks like she can't breathe unless he gives his permission, and Gidget. Well....we know her story. Little girl leaves Alaska for the big bad world (the lower 48).

Obama/Biden 08

September 24, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. BROOKLYN

We let out perfect leader go...

We are about to let a totally inexperienced person govern our nation in the most critical time in our history...

We ALL made the biggest mistake ever and we are in for four years of great "speeches" diverting us from all of the total blunders.

BIG MISTAKE.

September 24, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Obama- Next Stop.. White House

WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW...... You Suck!!!

Your an IDIOT and some other CHOICE WORDS and you OBVIOUSLY cant recognize the TRUTH if it smacked you in the face.

You speak with NO MERIT or EVIDENCE to backup your FOOLISH rhetoric.
    It probably pains you to think a man of color WILL BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE!! So you want the rest of the country to suffer over you foolish beliefs. OH Well,

GET>>>>USED>>>>TO>>>>IT

President Barack Obama ....... Has A Nice Ring To It ....lol

September 24, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. David

It really comes down to voting for the lesser of who cares? Both candidates are global interventionists who will keep our troops deployed in places they are not needed (i.e. Japan, Korea, Europe), neither will secure the border, neither will submit Justices that will overthrow Roe v. Wade, neither will make English the national language, neither will change the free trade policies that allow Japan to impose tariff's on American goods while we do not do so. America needs a nationalist party.

September 24, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. Baked Alaska

Does it seem the media is leaning left? Is there more negativity written about McCain/Palin? Could there be a reason? (i.e. that ticket has done more negative things). The media's life is filled day after day with what is going on in the USA . I would say they are more knowledgable than most about what government and officials have been doing these past years. Maybe they too have seen the light. Repulicans, we gave you eight years to govern. Admit it, you did a terrible job. Now you have to go. I'll vote to give someone else a chance because you tricked me twice and NEVER AGAIN.

September 24, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. Henrietta

You run away from issues to belittling people, you fail. We community organisers will continue working hard for the people.

September 24, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. Denise

I love this! Obama is giving McCain a tough time on turf that McCain should automatically have in his win column. And now the financial scandal is working in Obama's favor. I love this!

September 24, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. Gidget Won't Win

We can do this people. Fight hard against the little man with the Gidget doll. We can do this, YES WE CAN.

Obama/Biden 08

September 24, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Ann

you liberals are crazy with your outrageous comments!!! I see why independents get turned off by the likes of you.

September 24, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. Greg, GA

Polls are just polls nobody can really tell until elction day. Which McCain will win, because he's running on his political experience. Not his ethnicity

September 24, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. Robin in SC

Boy do I wish I lived in a swing state, or one that's potentially turning from red to blue! Alas, here I sit in SC, the reddest of the red, knowing my Obama vote won't help but casting it anyway. Folks in VA and other tight states, enjoy the importance of your vote and work to get new and unlikely voters registered and to the polls!

September 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

Va. is my birth place, my family is still there, I talk to my family all the time and they tell me that they have never seen this much support for a presidential candidate in there live, they tell me all they see is OBAMA sticks and fliers everywhere. I live in Connecticut now and I can tell you that Ct. is going for Obama, you should see all the rallies and get togethers around here. We can not afford 4more years of this Republican crap, lies, corruption, and more wars.

September 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. stop the madness

Obama supporters please read your coments. Your vitriol is reminesent of Karl Rove. This is not a game and trying to belttile fellow Americans is not a good thing. I guese your idea of politcs af change is for the demacratic party to change into the Bush Republican party.
    Its time to put America first and party second, So please as your mother might say think before you speak.
    former Demacrate now Independent

September 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. Jen

As a student at Virginia Tech, i can tell you were are doing everything we can to turn VA Blue!!! Yes We Can!!!
    Obama 08!!!

September 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. Kevin

DO NOT BE SURPRISED IF OBAMA WINS NC, AND VIRGINIA.

NEITHER RACISM, BIGOTRY, NOR FEAR WILL PREVAIL THIS ELECTION YEAR!

YES WE CAN!!!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN

September 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Steve

Hey Lou– Check your facts. You wrote, "I really cant see a state like virginia going Barrack Obama's way. It went double digits to Hillary in the primary ..."

Barack Obama took VA by a very comfortable margin, sweeping the Beltway primaries that day.

September 24, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |