September 24th, 2008

Polls show McCain, Obama nearly tied in Virginia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/24/art.polls.gi.jpg caption="McCain holds a very narrow lead in Virginia."](CNN) - A new CNN poll of polls out of Virginia Wednesday shows John McCain with the slimmest of leads in what is a state that has traditionally been considered a safe bet for Republicans.

The latest round of polls could be a clear warning sign for McCain six weeks before Election Day that the Republican presidential nominee still has work to do to lock down certain states that previous GOP nominees had to spend little time or effort doing so.

In the latest poll of polls, the Arizona senator only holds a 1 point lead over Barack Obama (47-46 percent) while 7 percent remain undecided. The poll of polls is an average of three recent surveys of the state.

The Obama campaign has long targeted Virginia as part of their strategy to expand the electoral map, feeling it is virtually impossible for McCain to win the White House if the Illinois senator is victorious in traditionally red states.

Update: The McCain campaign held a conference call with reporters to give their view of recent poll trends Wednesday morning, including polling averages that show tight races in the most crucial battleground states.

Watch for new CNN polls out of Colorado, Montana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin at 4 p.m.!

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. bibek

People of VA ain't as stupid as you think McBush.

September 24, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. Dave in Houston

The Republicans have gained power because of a dogma about the magic of free markets and the evils of regulation. John McCain and his economic brain, Phil Gramm, are the champions of the Wall Street greedos that have driven our financial system into the ditch.

The events that culminated this week show that these Republican myths have been exposed as complete lies. Democrats have always believed that free markets have to be well-regulated.

John McCain's career of consistently opposing regulation, especially of the finance and banking worlds, SHOULD cost him the election.

September 24, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. mark

Hope for the future,

Obama for president !!

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. overseas WASP

And it is yet to become BLUE!!!!!!!!!

You dont lie over and over again and get away with it in this life!

Did you see how McPalin switched legs...very uncomfortable and the best topic for increasing terrorism in the world!........What is your son's name...how nice!... Need i say more.....i can see Alaska from Africa i guess i can be governor

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  5. Cranky Old Man

Ahhhhhh...whats that I see's coming....OOOOO YES...SOCIALISM..how sweet it is, bring it on OBAMA/BIDEN 08 and forever

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. Tired Elephant

Mark Warner may have coattails as well. Huge lead, well liked and Kaine and Webb aren't flukes. Question is how much race will affect Obama's performance in "Southside" Virginia and the coal mining southwest.

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Vincent, Great Lakes IL

Mike,

This one is for you. Since I have much respect for Condolezza Rice and Colin Powell I also take into consideration what they are saying (and what they are not saying) about the two candidates that are running for the White House bid.

They both stated that Obama would make a fine President, (you can check it out for yourself as it is all over the internet) and that they, at this time, could not state who they wanted in the office. This tells me that it doesn't matter if they are Republicans. This tells me that they want what is best for the United States and if it means voting against the candidate of their party, they will. And I truly believe they are above voting on a candidate because of his/her color.

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Living in the USA

Excuse me I thought if you didn't answer a SUPEONA you went to JAIL. I didn't know you had a choice. If I got one I will say, well Palin didn't answer her supeona I am not gonna answer mine's so there. If I said that I will be living with those moose in the wildneress.

September 24, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. White Couple for Obama!!

Wont last long!!! Obama is gaining and is going to WIN!!

To Mike... We dont think Obama is our Saviour... we believe he can change things and fix things VS McCain the Same!! Its not that we think he is PERFECT... No One is!! Its the fact we have TWO candidates and we have to CHOOSE the better of the TWO and most of us Feel Obama is the one VS McSame. PLUS... I have never met in my life someone that says one thing all their life and then at the last minute in a contest decides to change it totally. And its not just ONE issue... BuT MANY of the Issues!!

Last election... I didnt like Kerry and I didnt Like Bush... Not much of a great choice there, I voted for Bush because I felt Kerry would do worse than Bush did. Now we got a chance here. Its like NIGHT and DAY choice. I actually like one of em!!

Obama/Biden 08!!!

September 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. arc, Lugano CH

There are 2 states of Virginia. There is 'metro' Virginia which makes up some of the more affluent suburbs of Washington DC which leans more blue for the most part, and there is the rural state of Virginia which you find as you drive further south upon leaving the beltway which is very very red. The race for the Commonwealth will be an interesting one. I hope Senator Obama can reach those undecided voters in Amherst as much as the ones in West Falls Church.

September 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Michael, watching from Canada

Do you know that every time I watch CNN and listen to a Republican pundit or advisor, they almost ignore the question asked of them and immediately go on the attack.

AND THE REPUBLICAN ATTACKS HAVE BECOME MORE PRONOUNCED EVER SINCE THE ECONOMY HAS BECOME A CRISIS!! THEY DO NOT WANT THE DISCUSSION TO BE FOCUSED ON WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO AMERICANS AND PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD.

PS

Is it really true that John McCain is converting to a Democrat? Did he actually say that he is NOW for regulation? So the US has two Democrats running for office?!!

September 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  12. norb

It is amazing to me that the Republican's actually think they have a chance of winning the presidency this year. Oh really? Hillary Clinton and her so called machine fell victim to a campaign organization that didn't know what hit them. So what makes the McCain/Palin team think they can beat the Obama organization? The Obama team is smarter in the trenches, have registered more voter's than the Republican's. Plus, the duo of Obama/Biden is a no brainer compaired to a McCain/Palin ticket. Obama/Biden by double digets come November 4th.

September 24, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  13. CitizenAJ

I agree with Stacy from Loudoun County,

Northern Virginia is Obama/Biden territory. I live in Lorton and if I see 10 stickers or magnets on cars, 7 are for Obama/Biden, 3 are for McCain/Palin. It is southwest and southeast Virginia where McCain/Palin MAY have an edge. I really do hope the states turns blue. The proposed republican ticket has to be one of the WORSE proposed tickets in presidential election history. How can any one, women and veterans specifically, want to vote these two into the white house?

September 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  14. To Lou, just a correction

Actually Obama crushed Hillary in the primary, it was nearly 30 points, from what I remember. He won the Potomac primaries by an average of over 30% and remember Senator Clinton did not win any primary or caucus between Super Tuesday and March 4.

Just a correction.

September 24, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  15. First Time Voter!

I thank Campbell Brown on CNN Election Center last night for finally speaking up stating ENOUGH IS ENOUGH regarding the McCain campaign treatment towards the mainstream media and Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin. Why are Americans accepting such behavior from the McCain Camp...how can they vote for a so called ticket when they can't hear both candidate views on the issue. From what little I know of Sarah Palin she has some explaining to do. They are truly doing her a disserivce. Now I can see why we educated college graduates tend to lean Obama. Obama has voiced his approach on key issues and understands our values and where must go from what the GOP has dished out to the American public in the last 8 years. Sarah Palin we Americans are still awaiting for the release of your TAX RECORDS seeing that all of a sudden your loud cry for government transcrepancies an idea first initiated by Senator Obama.

No longer undecided....
    Obama / Biden '08

September 24, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  16. Andres

Why hasn't Sarah Palin given an interview? Is the McCain camp sexiest? Do they not in the ability of a woman?

September 24, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  17. JusLaugh

I think Obama is much further ahead than polls indicate in every state. After the primaries, I just don't trust polls.

September 24, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  18. Cindy

How can anyone in this country justify electing McCain for President– He's shown no judgment by seclecting Sarah Palin as his VP, she being the most secretive candidate on these tickets... She's refused to cooperate with investigators and his campaign is now saying that the investigation is "confidential"! - Wow, does he really think that americans do not see through this!

She met with some world leaders yesterday for photo ops ONLY. So are we now to believe that she has all the foreign experience she needs to run this country?– Come on Replubicans give it up!

We the People say to Sarah and John- THANKS BUT NO THANKS!

September 24, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  19. Cranky Old Man

Well now I have to try and get on the Government Dole Out and get my free money...isn't this grand..free money, no responsibility...the country will get stronger and we all will share the same morals, values...gone are the days of racism...I love what will be an anything goes society...NOW you will see the Rich get Richer and the poor get poorer....Ohhh boy doewn with america....yee haa

September 24, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  20. Brian

Obama is gonna win the Commonwealth of Virginia!!! O-ld Dominion for O-bama!!!

Say it with me, folks ...

"Obama/Biden '08! YES WE CAN!!!"

September 24, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. Fraud sniffer

All this horrible news for the GOP has to be an east coast elitest media conspiracy!

Mark down three key dates where John McCain lost the 2008 election: 1) The day he picked Sarah Palin and decided to enclose her in an anti-media bubble through the election; 2) the day he said "my friends, the fundamentals of the economy are strong, and 3) the day the ultimate lifelong supply side deregulator tried to reinvent himself as a populist.

People, do you want Phil Gramm and a team of lobbyists enriching their friends and running this country into the ground? Isn't that what we just had for the past eight years? Time for REAL change & it looks like we're finally going to get it!

September 24, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. Shari, NY

Come on Virginians, ask yourselves if you are comfortable with the status quo! I am sure you are not, so do the right thing.

September 24, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. Johnny

The ABC/ Wash.Post poll gives Sen. Obama a 9 point lead. The grandpa/ moose hunter ticket is hurting!

September 24, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  24. Mike - Texas

I can hardly wait to see Rev. Wright's book when it comes out in October.

September 24, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Julie

Even my teens and their friends are sick of the Bush/Cheney administration lies and are very vocal against a similar McCain/Palin style. Seems this race is a hot topic at their public school.

Thank goodness there is hope in the next generation, America.

Helping to turn Virginia Blue.

September 24, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |