September 24th, 2008

Presidential debate host says they still expect Friday event

(CNN) - The University of Mississippi, site of this year's first presidential debate, released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying the school still expects the event to take place as scheduled Friday evening.

"The University of Mississippi is going forward with the preparation for the debate. We are ready to host the debate, and we expect the debate to occur as planned," read the statement. "At present, the University has received no notification of any change in the timing or venue of the debate. We have been notified by the Commission on Presidential Debates that we are proceeding as scheduled. We will keep you posted as information becomes available."

1. Marie D.

As a concerned citizen, I expect my President to multi task! I am concerned about the economic crisis in this country but I also want to see the Presidential candidates debate. To me, McCain's decission to suspend the debate is just another view of him that tells me he is incapable of handling the problems of this country.

2. Big D

I have a serious question for any McCain supporters – is there any recent situation to which McCain has not over-reacted? In this past week alone, he's bounced from one extreme to the other, throwing out any random idea (9/11-style commission, no – then fire Cox, no – then regulate more ....) and attacking Obama (it's all his fault, he's been mum – which was debunked). And now this?!?! Seriously – is he ever not overreacting?

3. IAMWMD

How many yachts does this idiot have?

Obama/Biden

4. OH MY!

McCain is putting our country first he is headed to washington to deal with the current economic crisis and may not make if for the debate.
    Obama we need actions not words. GO MCCAIN! Here again I am sure CNN will not post this.

5. DJ in Colorado

DEBATE! The show must go on. First Johnny Mac says the tenor of the campaign would change if O N L Y Sen. Obama would debate. Now he doesn't want to debate. Johnny Mac just ain't ready.

6. Accountant Guy

McBush and Beauty Queen are scared. Give me a break, there is no reason that they can not do both, they can go to washington and then go to the debate. Obama is smart enough to do two things at once, I guess McBush can't handle that.

Obama/Biden '08

7. AJ

Where the heck is my comment?

8. Matt

IT'S ALL JUST A RUSE TO BREAK OBAMA'S MOMENTUM.

DO NOT BUY THIS TOTAL NONSENSE.

9. D in MO

Eric-29-m-PA September 24th, 2008 5:02 pm ET

What's the rush? Let's put politics aside for a few days and work on legislation to help the economy. I see Obama is all politics as usual.
    ----------------------------

The rush is the election is right around the corner, we want to hear about the plans that McCain/Palin don't have. A better question would be what's the rush, his buddies aren't going to be totally broke if the bailout takes a little longer.

10. rich

Lets get it on!

11. SueP

McCain should be ashamed of himself. The American people are in the midst of deciding who will be the leader of this country when it comes time to mop up after the disaster that is George W. Bush, and McCain makes this flimsy excuse to hide behind his horrid smear-filled advertising. Stop the nonsense, Johnnie Mac, and DEBATE!!!

12. Mike Dallas

There is no BETTER time to debate than Friday night, I want to hear what they think and how they intend to work at fixing it at least from a broad spectrum.

Obama has no rallies planned for the next 2 days so the campaign will be suspended more or less, and as Obama said, both campaigns have a jet that can get them to Oxford MS on Friday afternoon in time for the debates and then back the same night.

Unless of course that schedule is too rigorous for McCain!

13. norb

What's a guy that has admitted he know's very little about the economy going to do to help resolve the fiscal situation that we're in? All smoke and mirrors. All keating aside.

14. Tammy

I have to say... I don't see anything wrong with rescheduling a debate in the face of such a serious crisis. Obama, Biden, and McCain are all senators. The president has messed up the economy. It is time for the Congress to check these actions and provide some balance. (You know, the reason that there is even a need for a congress...to be able to provide a check and balance to the two other branches of government.) The three senator have spoken at length about working in a bispartian manner. Now it is time to put up or shut up. Show me that you can work with the other side. Show me that you are a man of your word. Show me that you do have the interest of the everyday America in your heart and own your mind. Be a leader now! You don't have to wait until Jan. This is an "on the job" interview. Part of the job of the president is to work and fix the economy. This, or maybe something even worse, is the economy you will be inheriting. Therefore, it's time to do the job you actually have and be congressmen.

15. Speakinmymind

@ Eric-29-m-PA

uhm...in case you haven't noticed, what's going on in politics is what the debate is about. don't make weak excuses for McGimmick whose obviously not prepared or ready to lead this country, nor is his pig in lipstick!!

16. Beverly Barnes

Why don't they change the debate from Foreign Affairs to Economic Affairs and get on with it. I think the American people would like to know their thinking on this whole mess and it certainly would help us to see what their differences are.

17. Obama/Biden 100%

GOOD!!

Let the debate begin. We deserve to hear from the candidates who are asking us to give them the highest job in the world. Nice try McCain, but we really are SMARTER than you think.
    O yeah, tell your girl Sarah, she's next.
    p.s We already know you are going to try to use the 'country first' slogan to excuse yourself , but we can see straight through it.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

18. Jerry Ohio

McCain is a chicken chicken along with Palin could the republican do better because how they vote for McCain to run for president this is joke now he scared to debate

19. showtimeNY

I don't mind if the debate is delayed. Right this second, I'm more concerned with how that $700 BILLION will be spent. All of this rushing around to get this package signed before the opening bell on Monday morning. I don't like it one bit and I believe if Obama and McCain stand side by side on this one, maybe, just maybe with wool won't get pulled over our eyes!

20. canuck

Are all you whiners .GET A GRIP .So you are a nation broke ... not the richest .Fix it ....... no maybe lets have a coffee and debate for a while and not look at the problem. What is wrong with holding the debate in a couple days ........ no big deal .....

21. Linda, NC

McCain wasting money again. What about all the people who had planned to attend the debate?

I think McCain has some big plot in mind.. he would not let Palin to be interviewed, he would postpone debates.. I think he plans to do some of his silly so called Maveric style stuff right before the election date.

September 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. RepulicanvotingObama

This looks like a bridge to nowhere!

September 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. Go OBAMA

I see what happened. The expectations for McCain to do overwhelmingly better than Obama on national affairs this Friday has far exceeded McCain's actual capabilities. So now he has a reason for poor performance if he shows up to the debate on Friday...he's mind was elsewhere. Give me a break. Go get him, Obama!

September 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. fredrick

I think you talk to poeple when there's problem. Debate won't stop the two candidate voting on the bill if need be. Tell Mc. to get ready friday night

September 24, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. ted knolle

another political gimmick by John McCain. The people who voted for Bush now finally understand how Dangerous he was to our Country.
    God Save Us!