September 25th, 2008

Historic White House meeting convenes

ALT TEXT

John McCain and Barack Obama are currently meeting with President Bush on the economic bailout.   Also seated next to the president are, from left, House Minority Leader John Boehner, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. (AP Photo)

Related: Key lawmakers say they have a bailout plan

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. jaye

It's a joke and a sham on the part of the republicans.
    They have nearly destroyed our great country, and now they're acting like "big shots" that are going to save the earth.
    I'm not fooled one bit. I see it for what it is and hope others do as well.
    The republican party is a sham and a shame on this great nation – and finally John McCain is showing his "true" self. Postpone the campaign and the debate is simply idiotic, and that shows that John McCain can not run this country. By his choosing Sara Palin as his running mate should have been everyone's first clue!!!

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Tony

I love how Obama accused McCain of making the bailout political by suspending his campaign to focus on it. Where I come from, that's called doing you're freaking job, seeing how as you're supposed to be a U.S. senator.

But I guess Obama wouldn't really know what it's like to do the job of a senator, since he only worked for like a year before deciding "hey, I've got no experience, I should run for president on a baseless platform!" Or maybe he doesn't like the U.S. Senate gig because he can't vote "present" all the time.

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. bill

looks like a bunch of looser meeting at OUR HOUSE ITS NOT I REPEAT ITS NOT BUSHES WHITEHOUSE AND THE SOONER HE IS GONE THE BETTER THE GET IXTERMINATOR IN TO GET RID OF THE STINCH LEFT BEHIND BUSH GOOD BY GOOD RIDDENCE TO RUBBISH i smell another rember mushroom cloud SCARE SCARE THATS ALL THIS IDIOT KNOWS

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Geeque, Chicago

McBush looks scared, incompetent and confused while Obama looks relaxed, intelligent and Presidential.

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. KY woman democrat

Obama is next to the prince of darkness himself, Mitch McConnell. Be afraid, be very afraid.

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. LS

Look at the smirk John McCain is making. It's almost like he is thinking 'I finally got my way after all'.

And if this is such a serious issue, why would he be smirking like that? Goes to show the type of character John McCain has – a very extreme arrogant and childish character. McCain acts worse than a 2 year old, and his childish personality shows it.

September 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. FactCheck

So despite having said that he is "suspending" his campaign, McCain campaign offices are open all across the Midwest, conducting phone banking and accepting volunteers. And Palin is campaigning right now in Philadelphia. There Republicans are running a campaign that isn't even worthy of the gutter.

September 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. Burton

Wow, and old fogie McCain made such a difference in this whole thing!

What a publicity stunt. It's backfiring and he looks like a total fool – big time. This race is OVER.

September 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. N.S of Huntsville, Al

I agree with all of the above. I can't hardly look at Bush, you can tell he is trying (Bush) to crack jokes and it's not funny

Get out of their Obama their trying to distract you.

STAYFOCUSED OBAMA STAYFOCUSED!!!!!

September 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. Election Watcher

Surpirsed Obama showed up in person instead of having a satellite CC TV link like he did at Clinton's summit. I mean world economic leaders were there, but Obama couldn't even squeak in the time to make a personal appearance at an offering from a man who he expects to be one of his ptichmen.
    Do we want a President who only votes "Present"? No thanks Mr Obama.
    "O"bama
    "O" = zero

September 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. McSame Not

Does anyone else feel like they're watching a disaster movie whenever they see bush speak? Look at him there with his impish smile, you'd never know he was responsible for destroying the US economy.

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. texas voter

I hope the Republicans are not dragging their feet in order to give McCain the excuse he needs to bailout of the Debate.Obama will be there hope grandpa shows up

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. lisa

That is why I'm voting for Barack, because he isn ot intimidated. he will not allow them to push him around or twist his arm to be crooked. He is focused.

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. CM

Now watch Bush help his boy John out by giving them all something to do tomorrow at 9pm.

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. DR in Los Angeles

"Do I have to sit next to him?"

Obama in '08!

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  16. Laziz

40 days to go America! Let have a sweet dinner with our Commander in Chief who brought us down to the greatest depression ever. Let us just hope that our next POTUS will have enough courage and intelligence to jump-start our economy.

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. Cindy

May cooler heads prevail... I feel much better that Obama is there.

September 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. Mr. Teleprompter

Barack is actually thinking "This is the first time I've ever participated in an important meeting in my life and the only reason I'm here is because John McCain made me do it. Too bad my computer literacy and telepromter can't be put to use in meeting like this, or else then I'd show 'em"

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. McShame, Houston TX

Oh I had to come back and ask, WHERE IS CINDY??? SHE IS ALWAYS BY HIS SIDE TO LOOK AFTER HIM!!!!!!

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. Ohio for Obama

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS MEETING? Didn't Dodd and his boys come up with something hours ago. Talk about a photo op for Bush and McBush! Ridiculous! The American people are not stupid. McCain is doing this so he can say he worked sooooo hard for the us and brought everyone together for a Kum ba Ya sing along.

Smash him up in the debate Obama!!!!!!

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. Arin

At last.... the Decider, The Deregulator and The Messiah convene the Justice League. The only person missing is Conan the Barbarian. He's in Caleefornia.

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  22. ED

THIS IS THE PERFECT TIME FOR A DEBATE..THERE IS A REAL ISSUE THAT NEEDS A SOULTION...DOES SEN. McCAIN WANT TO POSTURE, OR DOES HE WANT TO DODGE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ECONOMY???

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  23. Rob

McCain & Pelosi look like grinning idiots .What a bunch of fools. God help us. Is this the best we can do in a country as big as the U.S.

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. RM

The fact that McCain and Obama are in the same room is bad for McCain. One has called of the debate, stopped his campaign, and seeks to delay the VP debate. The other says he is fully capable of debating and attending to the crisis while still campaigning, and being in this picture proves it!

Who is more presidential?

September 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Chuck

See the smirk on McCain's face. He's thinking "I got you here", and "I got my way" as he looks down the table at Obama.

But see the look on Obama's face. He's thinking yeap, you got me here jerk-off, but Friday night whether you show for the debate or not I'm taking you down.

September 25, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |