September 25th, 2008

Historic White House meeting convenes

ALT TEXT

John McCain and Barack Obama are currently meeting with President Bush on the economic bailout.   Also seated next to the president are, from left, House Minority Leader John Boehner, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. (AP Photo)

Related: Key lawmakers say they have a bailout plan

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Tejano

way to take advantage of photo-ops Obama... God willing you will not be seating with American leaders after November. Enjoy your 10 minutes of fame and go back to the Chicago mob that put you in this race. Have a great day with Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers. Hope you have time to visit your pal Rezko in prison.

No Bama in 08

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. jaye

Looks as though Senator Obama is the only one taking this meeting serious.
    Look at the smirk on John McCain and President Bush's face. What do they find so funny??!!!

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. george from alaska

What a load of bull. Repubs allowed banks & corporations to rob the public blind and now to finally squeeze the US Treasury out of it's last drop. It's just the same old ploy to destroy real oversight so they can steal at will.

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Jennifer

only a few months and that will be Barack at the center of the table!

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Justin

Cute picture. I'm really glad everyone could make it.

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Douglas, Los Angeles California

Is that all Bush wanted was a photo opp? There was no purpose served having the candidates for his job in Washington today. I still smell a rat. Something has gone terribly wrong these past 24 hours with all this political rangling going on with the republican party. The republicans pundits are all over the TV praising McCain as such a wonderful American. They fail to say one thing; He still lies!

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. KpKafle

This is just a photo-op. Deal done without McCain's input. I'm glad he looks like a fool.

September 25, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Alaskan

Look at the face of McStunt! 🙂

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. R.I.F.

Pure photo-op!!!!! If McCain thought that he was the knight in shining armor, why didn't he head to the Hill on Monday?

I already saw Tucker Bounds on MSNBC taking credit for the deal before the meeting even started. Amazing.

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. NickNas

The Forced Photo OP that all of lthis Drama was designed for. A McCain aide has already tried to give McCain Credit for the Deal being made......Funny since he was not in ONE meeting.

WOW

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. Team America

Obama's thinking: Man, I hate meetings like this where I can't promote myself and how awesome I am. I'm only here cuz I'm required to be, otherwise I'd be out telling people my hopes and dreams for America, then have other people work to make them happen. This is really too much work for me. I'm the youngest cat in this room, and I can shoot a jump shot. Man, I'm so friggin' awesome! I love myself!!

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. The Prophete

Obama is thinking... Those war mongers that break our economie think we are realy stupid. But they will know soon.

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. Patrick

Dems to the Left of Bush, Reps to the Right. How photogenic.

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  14. Aaron

Horray. We're saved. I don't know what we would have done without such great "REACT-AFTER-IT'S-TOO-LATE" leadership.

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  15. WASP Member!!!

Waste of time since the deal was already done!!! Get to the debate.

September 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  16. Kiah G

Wow, I'm surprised Obama could fit this in with him having to run a campaign, prepare for either a debate OR a town hall meeting, AND his other duties as a dad and husband. He must be tired!

Good thing McCain stopped some of those pesky other things tying him down so he could look refreshed and rejuvenated for his picture at the "Big Table" with the President...

McCain is SUCH A JOKE and those voting for him I feel sorry for you and your children!

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  17. Donna

Barack is probably thinking "o.k.....enough of the cameras and photo ops, can we start the meeting?"

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  18. CR

McCain is dumb - dumb dumb dumb

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  19. RC

Obama is thinking,what a bunch of no good, greedy,liars, degenerates,hypocrites, I get into office everyone you will be gone

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. John J.

So, now that a plan has already been accepted by both parties, what exactly do they have to discuss?

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Chris from NY

McCain thinks he's Obama's father where he tells Obama what to do and expects him to follow. Last month he said he was punishing Obama for not doing town hall with him by running false ads against him. Now he suspends his campaign and expects Obama to respond and if he doesn't he will not label him a nonleader. McCain is not Obama's father as to dictate to him how to run his capaign. Each runs his campaign as he sees fit. I guess McCain as in his foreign policy ideas doesn't have enough strategy but tactics for his campaign.

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Chris from Boston

Everyone is smiling and exhibiting the fact that they don't understand the gravity of the situation EXCEPT Obama. He is the only one who looks like he is concerned and understands. McCain and Bush look pitiful.

Go Obama!!!

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  23. John in Ohio

Seems kind of risky to have all those folks in the same place at the same time. Anything happens, and we get... Cheney. And a whole lot of confusion on who the eventual replacement might be.

Isn't this how the TV show "Jericho" started?

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. Baze

This is a great picture. A wide spectrum of Americans working for a common cause

ONE NATION

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Michael

Obama pinheads get real.

Obama refuses to do townhall meetings because he is afraid to. He knows he talks like the idiot he is in that format. Notice all he is doing now is giving speechs that were written by his campaign staff? He can't handle anything of substance off the top of his head. That is why he did not want to go to Washington to work on the bailout deal. He would be lost without his speech writers.

Where does Obama get off complaining about McCain wanting to postpone a debate so he can do his job as a Senator in a critical time for the American people. It's not like the debat will never happen, just an new date. Unlike the townhall meetings which chicken Obama will never agree to. Obama is a loser and a fake.

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |