September 25th, 2008

Historic White House meeting convenes

ALT TEXT

John McCain and Barack Obama are currently meeting with President Bush on the economic bailout.   Also seated next to the president are, from left, House Minority Leader John Boehner, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. (AP Photo)

Related: Key lawmakers say they have a bailout plan

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Melvin

THIS IS WASTE OF TIME!!!

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. becky

If I'm paying for this bailout I want to know exactly where my money is going. NO BLANK CHECKS !!

Becky
    Oregon

September 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. Mack

All you people screaming about the debate are silly..the debate is not about the economy..its about foreign policy. McCain did the right thing, Obama did not. This problem is not a democrat or republican problem, its all our problem. The debate should come second if a result is not reached today..

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. David

Ooops – I did not check my math – oh well, I think I'd rather have the people get the money than the banks anyway...

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  5. Eliot from Chicago, Illinois

Is Pelosi on Bush's right? Has Bush gone socialist?

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. WhoIsPalin?

To all white women out there that are still reluctant to vote for Obama because of his Race. Don't forget that it was one of your own( White Woman) that brought Sen.Obama into this world, why can't you give the Guy a chance?

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. rin

this is political b.s.

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Emma

Oh Senator Obama looks so presidential. Nice to see diversity in the room.

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  9. independent

Mcain, Whatever happens, the debate is tomorrow. I know you're praying so there is no solution today, but what you should be doing now, is to find another VP to replace the incompetent, media feared Palin!

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  10. Chris

Thank God McCain made it in time. What would they have done without him!!??

OB08

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. carolflowery

let's fix it

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. mitchell

i hope barack's secret service is with him.

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Greg, New Orleans

700 billion on top of 10 billion a month for the oil war!!! And we can't afford 2 billion to protect New Orleans from the effects of coastal erosion cause by the oil industry and the Corps of Engineers? I can see Russia from here.

September 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. Darin from WA

John McCain has skipped out on more votes than a Senator with brain cancer has, and suddenly he feels he is instrumental to resolving this crisis? He isn't on any committees dealing with it. Republicans win on characterizations and generalizations, not fact, which is why he is avoiding at all costs a forum in which facts will have to come out. What is he going to do in DC during that two hours of the debate that is more important than fleshing out the issues of choosing the next leader of the free world?

15. Cam

Hey Bob Indianapolis: A truer statement was never said. Just being that close to Bush (and McCain too) could lower Obama's IQ by 50 points.

16. Steve

Is it just my imagination or does it look like Bush is waiting on a box of Crayons....Be sure not to color outside the lines...everyone is watching.

September 25, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  17. No Republican will ever vote for Obama!

Obammunist, Reid and Pelosi – A Troika of Communist agitators!!

If Obama gets in, this country is doomed!!!

18. Concerned Voter

I hope McCain feels special now because clearly the bailout plan was practically finished on yesterday if they have it done today. He didn't have any time to do anything with it, let alone read it. He is such a cloud a smoke....

Nice photo-op, McCain....but again, McCain is wasting time, and at this point is proving himself to be a waste of time.

19. NYCVOTER

Obama-What am I doing here? its not like I'm a senator or anything.
    Don't you know I am a pro-campaigner only. GOSH!

Wait McCain can bring the Republicans on board and I can do nothing then comment later on the aftermath like I usually do.

Obama is a fraud and his bubble will soon burst.

McCain/Palin 08

20. Chris in CA

Everybody sing!! One of these things just doesn't belong here, one of these things just isn't the same...

A refreshing reminder of just how different things will soon be when Obama becomes president.

21. Anonymous

Historic in the fact that we are now officially a socialist country?

22. Teresa

Do you see the cheesy smile on McCain's face – he got his way.

Obama looks presidential and genuinely concerned about the situation.

23. Mark

No, Obama looks like he is thinking, " What am I doing here wasting my time when I should be preparing some witty answers and fancy speeches for the debate, who cares about the financial problems, I have plenty of money on my campaign account "

24. just me

blaising September 25th, 2008 4:33 pm ET

Doesn't Barack just look like he's thinking…."God, I SO want your job!!"

LMFAO

25. Lisa

This is off topic but ... CNN, could you please set Wolf straight? He keeps saying McCain has suspended his campaign but he is still running ads in VA. I just watched one about an hour ago. McCain lied...he's a little drama queen!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8