September 25th, 2008

Palin: Another Great Depression could happen

(CNN) - John McCain’s public position on the state of the nation’s economy has shifted since his early optimism of last week, as the Republican nominee maintains that the country faces its worst economic crisis since World War II.

In a rare television interview, Sarah Palin went a bit further: asked another Great Depression looms if a bailout plan is not approved quickly, Palin told CBS’s Katie Couric: "Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on."

Watch: Is Palin avoiding the media?

McCain later told Couric that although he believes conditions are dire in the nation’s financial markets, he’s not sure "if exactly a depression" would happen. "I don't think we need to scare people, but I do think we need to tell people the truth," he said.

Palin pointed to John McCain’s warnings about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago. She could not point to other instances where he had pushed for stricter oversight. “But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?” asked Couric.

Palin replied. “I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.” Pressed for more specific examples, Palin responded: “I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

The interview took place before McCain’s campaign told CNN that the Arizona senator was looking to move the date of the first presidential debate to October 2 – currently slated as the day Palin would face off with Democratic VP nominee Joe Biden.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. chelle

Yeah isn't it amazing they (McCain and Palin) have loads of time for interviews...but no time for nationally televised debates.

Does John McCain really think everyone is falling for his "only if the bailout happens". Oh please – the McCain campaign is grandstanding and afraid.

September 25, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. Steve, Madison WI

I agree – switch the VP & Presidential debates. The topic could then stay the same this Friday – Foreign Policy – should be a short debate with Palin simply repeating that she can see Russia from her house and that foreign leaders think she's "gorgeous". LOL

September 25, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Ronda

Well at least now we know McCain's erratic behavior is an attempt to cancel or postpone the VP debate. No big surprise here. Any doubt now this was just another stunt?

I'm sorry she needs more study time. But you (Mr. McCain) now must live with your decision.

Stop playing games with us. I've had enough of it over the last 8 years. If you can't do two things at once, step aside for someone who can. THAT would be putting country first.

September 25, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, who is really scaring the American people? I would tend to think that it could be any of the following: the Bush administration, the McCain campaign, the chairman of the Fed Benbernanke, Sec. of the Treasury Paulson or it could be a little of all of them. Why weren't we the American people apprised of this possibility much earlier? It could have been mentioned during the Fannie/Freddie take over.

Why now and so fast? Why must it interfer with the presidential debates? I don't think it has to. Either switch this presidential debate with the VP debate or have the presidential debate now. A president must be able to multi-task.

September 25, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. nader

It shows how Palin is immatured. Her thinking is just like a child to whom she is trying to scared. She is not a VP stuff.

September 25, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. LS

_./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤•..•¤. .
    *•. .•* *Obama/Biden o8!! Vote4 REAL Change!!
    /.•*•.\ •¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤

:o} that's pretty . . .

September 25, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. TKW- New Mexico

Is this a joke? Does she even know when the Great Depression was or anything about it. This woman is a disaster. Forget Katrina or Ike, Sarah Palin is the biggest disaster in history. I can't believe that this empty skirt would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency! If McCain gets elected, I'm throwing a dart at the globe a see where it lands!

September 25, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. DG

If she's talking about a "great depression" in mental terms, she just might be right. I know I'm becoming more depressed by the minute. The extreme khutzpah of these people is just mind-boggling.

And hey, BK.........at least Biden is brave enough to sit down with the media pretty much anytime and anywhere. Your girl Sarah, is not. Come on.......now they're trying to postpone her debate too. Looks to me like they're trying to run out the clock.

September 25, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. Lawrence

Did you ever think you would long for the days of Dan Quayle ?!?

September 25, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Cynthia

Yes it could if another group of Republicans get into the White House. I think it is a ploy on behalf of the McCain's camp to give Palin more time to prepare for her debate. Why can't they be in Wasington for the day on Friday and then hop on their private planes and jet on down to Mississippi and do the debates. McCain is not taking into consideration the amount of money, time spent preparing for place for the debate, all the people invited to be there and all those people who have made plans to attend it as well as the millions on plan to watch it on television.

September 25, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. Brian Rich

Palin thinks the Great Depression was what happened when she found out she'd have to move to Connecticut to work for ESPN.

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. GIGI

If I were John McCain, I too would be scare to debate a young intelligent man, with fresh ideas and a gifted communicator. If I were McCain, I too would back up from the public so they wouldn't notice that I trip on words and ideas as well, that I am becoming senile, and when provoked, my temper gets the best of me, while the other guy keeps his cool. I, too would use any opportunity to hide from the public that I belong to the same party that got us into a war eight years ago, using the same scare tactics as now, only today is the economy, not national security. As John McCain I would try to disguise that my party has a soft hand for the rich and the hard one for the "little people", yes and I would try to put myself as courageous and "hands- on", all the while I'm scared to death because the truth came out. Bad timing. Tough luck.

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. BK

Obama's teleprompter has problems and Obama can't read every word. Lost doesn't know what to say. HA HA! What a fraud.

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

So Sarah, Wunderkind of Mooseland, what are your suggestions for a solution? The heck with McCain and Congress solutions.

I wanna konw from YOU what YOU would do as president. 'Cause there's a big chance you will be weariing that cap.

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. Bill

If Obama gets elected than we will be suffering a great depression with all the spending he will be introducing.... I don't think we should take a risk on this guy because he seems inexperienced.

I'll vote for McCain

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. DB - Colorado

No wonder McCain is keeping her tightly guarded! This has nothing to do with gender bashing; it is all about qualifications...Sarah lacks even the basic skills.

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  17. bitsy

What an air head Palin is and Obama looks more and more presidental every day!

Wake up America vote Obama/Biden

We don't need air heads in Washington haven't we had enough of them!

September 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Reality

ummm....its already here "Ms. I know it all" !!!

September 25, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. Cory

If John McCain is suspending his campaign and pulling his ads.... why don't we all agree to a media blackout of McCain. That's what he wants right?

September 25, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  20. panola

In a Sept. 15 statement Barack Obama called it "the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression".

September 25, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  21. D&D

So she basically has no idea of what McCain has accomplished, and she needs to go and being told first before she goes back to Couric with an answer...I wonder if she's going to give the same answer in the debate!

September 25, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  22. White EX REPUBLICAN Texas Woman FOR OBAMA

"I'll try to find you some and bring them to you." HUH?

Now we know why the McCain camp wants to postpone "indefinitely" the VP debate...

Or as my 16 year old pointed out:

"She agreed to the interview. Didn't she know they'd ask this kind of question? Geez, it's like she didn't do any research or any of the homework. PLUS, none of my teachers accept make-up or late work."

September 25, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. Pittsburgh for Obama

Repubs

It's your so called elected individual who is trying to run...be a man, face him, what are you afraid of...no guts I see. If this financial crisis was of importance to him, why wait till the last minute, he had days to work on this crises, but he would rather do an interview with Katie (rather than being in Washington) but would miss the debate though, what a fool do you think we are...

OBAMA/BIDEN has and is putting the well being of this country ahead of everything else.

Either do proper research or use your brains (opps, which the republicans lack) before posting any kind of comments...

September 25, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. jimmy

ROBOTS ARE MINDLESS CREATURES WHO HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED TO DO THE BIDDING OF A PERSON OR GROUP
    FOR A SPECIFIC TASK SUCH AS VOTING FOR SOMETHING
    WITHOUT ANY IDEA ABOUT IT OR HAVING TO THINK WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THE POINT IS , WE DO HAVE PEOPLE I THIS WORLD
    WHO DO SUCH THINGS WITHOUT REGARD FOR THE GOOD OF
    THEIR COUNTRY.

September 25, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. MEP

Yes. She'll be able to see it from her backyard. But she won't be able to mention it to the media.

September 25, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |