September 25th, 2008

Palin: Another Great Depression could happen

(CNN) - John McCain’s public position on the state of the nation’s economy has shifted since his early optimism of last week, as the Republican nominee maintains that the country faces its worst economic crisis since World War II.

In a rare television interview, Sarah Palin went a bit further: asked another Great Depression looms if a bailout plan is not approved quickly, Palin told CBS’s Katie Couric: "Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on."

Watch: Is Palin avoiding the media?

McCain later told Couric that although he believes conditions are dire in the nation’s financial markets, he’s not sure "if exactly a depression" would happen. "I don't think we need to scare people, but I do think we need to tell people the truth," he said.

Palin pointed to John McCain’s warnings about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago. She could not point to other instances where he had pushed for stricter oversight. “But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?” asked Couric.

Palin replied. “I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.” Pressed for more specific examples, Palin responded: “I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

The interview took place before McCain’s campaign told CNN that the Arizona senator was looking to move the date of the first presidential debate to October 2 – currently slated as the day Palin would face off with Democratic VP nominee Joe Biden.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. josephine

Now that she is being real by saying that American may be on the verge of another depression, everybody wants to get on her case for fearmongering. Cmon guys shes just calling the situation as it is.

September 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. Jeanie, OH

She scares me because she say's the same talking points over and over, and over. Katie asked her a question and she repeated the exact same thing word for word. In fact, my husband and I answered the question before she did because she says the exact same thing.

This woman is a joke, and does not need to be taken seriously. If she forgets her lines, America will be toast.

Once again, she is not educated enough and does not have the credentials for that job. I'm surprised she was a mayor.

September 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Dee Tee Gee

If anyone believes that John McCain wants to postpone this debate because of his loyalty to the American people, then I have a car from the Gulf Coast that I'd like to sell you. Our economy is in bad shape, but John McCain's or Barack Obama's presence in Washington all of a sudden is not going to change anything. This is a political move, a horse & pony show, plain & simple. Did he drop everything when Katrina hit & go to New Orleans? Did he stop campaigning to see about the victims of Hurricanes Gustav & Ike? Hell no & you know why, those disasters didn't affect his wallet. This Wall St. crisis does, & that's why he wants to delay the debate. All of a sudden, the whole nation is supposed to move on John McCain's command. This has nothing to do with McCain's concerns for Americans, this has everything to do with the fact that his campaign knows that this economy issue is a battle they can't win because McCain's party is the one that caused it with their greed & selfishness. I'm not buying his reasoning for one second.

September 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Jeff

Palin is a typical crack-pot Republican attempting to garner support with fear. We see how far that has gotten us in the past. Do you suppose that we will learn from past mistakes? Then again having Obama as President scares the crap out of me too. The fact that these two clowns are the best America can do makes me question the intelligence of the American electorate.

September 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Bob Indianapolis IN

Letterman tore you punks a new one last night! Enjoy the remainder of your political careers!

September 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. MikeJames

McCain wants to postpone the debate

It sounds like McCain can't multi-task. What are you going to tell Putin, "I had these budget issues to deal with the last couple of days and I'm just not going be able to prepare for our summit. Can we reschedule? Can you hold off on invading more sovereign countries till I get back to you?"

September 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. Matt

McCain has time to speak at the CGI event today during normal business hours, while Congress is actively in session on the Hill working on the bill. Yet for some reason he feels he cannot keep the commitment to attend the debate, which is scheduled for the latter part of the evening, well after normal business hours, on a Friday, when Congress will adjourned and most of them at home valuing family before presumably working on Saturday.

It's a farce. He's a farce. And he's turned this entire election into a farce. Don't let him turn our country into even more of a farce.

September 25, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Terry, Dallas Texas

I love the people who say Palin speaks the truth. She diden't say ANYTHING. She was asked to name some of McCains accomplishments as a reformer and she goes off on some line of him being a maverick. Then when pressed she says "let me get back to you on that". I know that this hurts the GOP faithful but sooner or later you will have to realise that baring a miricle your time in the white house is OVER. You remind me of Yankee fans who after so many years of always making the playoffs find yourselves asking what happened?

September 25, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. Joseph

Amen September 25th, 2008 10:36 am ET

Sarah tells it like it is.

That is why she IS a reformer.

She is right.

Greed and stupidity have caused our economy to fail.

I am guilty of neither- flipping homes, making profits, nor did I borrow money that I could not afford to borrow.

But ONCE AGAIN- I am taking the fall for those who gamed the system and were irresponsible.

McCain and Palin are right on the money, here.
    _____________________________________________________
    so I guess you are for playing the blame game cause they have offered no solution. Both have created more debt for this country and neither of them can balance their own states budgets let alone the country's

September 25, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  10. Shaking My Head

Watch out! I bet the October surprise is going to be McCain opting out of running for President and they will put Mitt Romney in his place!!! I would put nothing past the slimiest bunch of republican politicians in this century – oh and I'm sure miss I don't know anything Pailin will also step aside and Mitt will pick someone else for his running mate!! Just watch, it's going to happen because the repukes will stop at nothing to win and with their disasterous ticket right now they have 0000000000000 chance to win in Novmeber!!!!!

September 25, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. Hispanic For McCain

WOW keep it up Liberals Morons when Nov comes along and McC

September 25, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. DebM, Allentown, PA

BK September 25th, 2008 10:56 am ET

Joe Biden makes stupid statements everyday. There was no TV in 1929. If Gov. Palin made the stupid statements that Biden makes it would be all over the news. Double standard? I would trust Palin that an idiot like Biden that makes false statements every time he opens his mouth.

*****

BK, are you kidding me? If Palin or McCain spoke as much off the cuff as Biden does, they'd be making ten times the gaffes he does. He speaks from the heart. McCain and Palin speak from a script. You can't make stupid statements if you don't SAY ANYTHING.

September 25, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  13. Denise

She needs to shut up! Palin knows nothin bout nothin! All she does is state talking points!

September 25, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. J. Dean

WHERE DID PALIN GET THAT INFORMATION FROM ? FROM WITCH-HUNTERS ? OR FROM GHOSTCHASERS ?
    SOON, WE BELIEVE, SHE WILL GO BACK TO ALASKA OR WASILLA AND PROBABLY LISTEN TO PASTOR THOMAS MUTHEE. THAT PLACE FITS HER FAR BETTER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN WASHINGTON, D.C.

September 25, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. Shaking My Head

haas, Charlotte is actually Carl Rove using his spare time blogging to try and help the repukes!!!!

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. tiffany in ohio

what is he gonna do if he gets elected an we have a crisis suspend his presidency?...........oh ...oh...were in a dire crisis.....i..i just cant take it....come on Sarah lets go. WHAT????? I wasn't voting for him anyway but coooooooommme oooooooooon!!!! MCSAME you making me feel sorry for you not proud. OBAMA/BIDEN 4EVER

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. MikeJames

McCain suspending campaign

Isn’t your Vice-President supposed to jump in for you when you are unavailable? Why isn’t Palin handling campaign appearances and functions with McCain going to Washington. Either they do not have confidence in her to do this (Why is she your running mate then?) or this is just a political ploy. I sure hope it is the later. If she can’t handle running the campaign for a short period of time how is she going to jump into some domestic or diplomatic emergency?

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  18. BRIDGE & ROAD TO NO WHERE

McCain's selection as Palin for his running mate is the greatest depression of all

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. Otanes - Atlanta

Time to call the “witch hunter” pastor from Alaska!

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. Phoenix

Another laughable interview where Couric had to repeat a question three times for her to comprehend it. Dave G, many Americans share our sentiments. McCain, how dare you pretend as if you are the valiant little soldier now. You have had 26 years to vote on economic policy and you and other people who are destroying my party (Republicans) continued to push for deregulation thus leading to the mess we have now. We need to have the debates. McCain is acting like a real coward. The pitbull with lipstick is a puppy that needs housetraining.

Republicans who understand that McCain and Palin will be the end of the Republican Party. Go Obama.

September 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. BAC

This is becoming sadder and sadder. John McCain could have gone down in history as a great American, but he is pulling every stupid trick in the book to salvage his pathetic campaign. Real GOP members are bailing out. Republicans for Obama!

September 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Sarah who?

“I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

Are you kidding me? Are you really kidding me? Shoot me now! Shoot me now!

Obama/Biden 08

September 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

The GOP has not told us the truth in the past 8 years. Why should be believe them now?!?!

This bailout will weaken the dollar. Too much debt will be even worse for the economy.

September 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  24. Jerry in Boston

True.

If Palin becomes VP, I will be greatly depressed.

September 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  25. M.Serafin

Dear Palin, hope you are not talking about depressing womens rights nor gay or lesbians or handicaped or AA or Latino's...
    Hope you get a clue..

WASP (Women Against Sarah Palin)

September 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |