September 25th, 2008

Palin: Another Great Depression could happen

(CNN) - John McCain’s public position on the state of the nation’s economy has shifted since his early optimism of last week, as the Republican nominee maintains that the country faces its worst economic crisis since World War II.

In a rare television interview, Sarah Palin went a bit further: asked another Great Depression looms if a bailout plan is not approved quickly, Palin told CBS’s Katie Couric: "Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on."

Watch: Is Palin avoiding the media?

McCain later told Couric that although he believes conditions are dire in the nation’s financial markets, he’s not sure "if exactly a depression" would happen. "I don't think we need to scare people, but I do think we need to tell people the truth," he said.

Palin pointed to John McCain’s warnings about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago. She could not point to other instances where he had pushed for stricter oversight. “But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?” asked Couric.

Palin replied. “I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.” Pressed for more specific examples, Palin responded: “I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

The interview took place before McCain’s campaign told CNN that the Arizona senator was looking to move the date of the first presidential debate to October 2 – currently slated as the day Palin would face off with Democratic VP nominee Joe Biden.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Matt

If I were Obama, I'd refuse to shake Bush's hand today at the White House. Let the monkey Republicans stew in their own juices. They'll just resort to flinging turds like monkeys do anyway.

September 25, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  2. Bridget

Sorry, but Palin is only saying what her handlers are telling her to say.

September 25, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  3. Tony

Only 40 more days until this doofus returns to oblivion.

September 25, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  4. Numb

Mrs. Failin has only made me inclined to vote for Obama!

If McCain makes serious mistakes by choosing Pail as his running mate this is WHEN HE IS TRYING TO LOOK GOOD SO HE CAN GET ELECTED imagine the mistakes he'll make IF he is president, when he is not trying to look good!

I'm sorry, but i was once a diehard Clinton supporter and vowed to never vote for Obama.
    But at this point in time, my country matters most and leaving my country in the hands of two illiterate, cowardly loonies is not an option for me, and SHOULD NOT be an option for all Americans.

Obama seems to be the lesser of the two evils!!

September 25, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

Palin is an Idiot.
    Thanks, BUT No Thanks
    _./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤•..•¤. .
    *•. .•* *Obama/Biden o8!! Vote4 REAL Change!!
    /.•*•.\ •¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  6. Sarah Palin "Ready on Day 1-NOT"

And if you and John McCain are elected, that's exactly where we would be headed. Also, since your suspending your campaign your not a political candidate and can now be cooperative with the ethics investigation your handlers are blocking you from.

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. AZVoter

We need to start callng him John McNugget.

My apologies; that should be Senator McNugget.

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. Hispanic For McCain

WOW keep it up Liberals Morons when Nov comes along and McCain wins on a landslide all you DEM will cry!!!!. I have overe and over Hispanic people will decide the election and McCain will win. Keep messing with Sarah Palin it will backfire all all the liberals. Latinos will suport McCain/Palin ticket. The puertorican in Bronx, NY are all supporting McCain. They are thousand of sign for the McCain/Palin ticket and all the AA are piss off!!! Puertorican are Die hard DEM but they do not trust OBAMA. All of Hillary puertorican connection are all going to McCain!! Obama is a Raton (Rat) and a snake!!. John McCain is a true AMERICAN Hero!!!

Hispanic for McCain/Palin 08

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  9. dave g, Minneapolis

It's funny to see McCain supporters and Obama supporters try to say that their candidate has done more to fix this problem.

People, they ARE the problem, and as long as you vote for the crowd running to the cliff, you WILL get disaster. Both parties have put us in this VERY BAD situation. Also, it is not a "crisis" because EVERYONE has been talking for years that this is happening...Where were Sens. Obama and McCain's leadership? NONE.

My pockets are empty and turned inside out, and these two parties are saying they'll use the cash I have to bailout my insurance company or my mortgage company...

Makes NO sense.

I'm voting for Barr....

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. W Spivey Merritt Island FL

This Lady has less sense than McSame. Go back to A-las-ka and leave the rest of the World alone. You need some hands on as your Tongue is wagging.

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  11. BRIDGE & ROAD TO NO WHERE

haas

that is true about Charlotte. I know from past reading.

September 25, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  12. Diane, AK

She really ticked me off when she said "Americans are waiting to hear from John McCain, and not Barack Obama". This was regarding the financial fiasco. I thought to myself, "Who's waiting to hear from John McCain, who admitted he doesn't know anything about the economy?

Of course Katie cited the recent polls that more Americans had confidence in Barack than John regarding the economy. And she said oh, I don't look at the polls. The how does she know Americans are waiting to hear from John McCain? She talks like a 10 year old.

John is right to keep her away from the press because any freshman reporter would schred her in little tiny pieces and toss her out. She should be afraid of the press because there's nobody home upstairs.

LOL, her father said he never dreamed his daughter would be in this position, and I thought you and me both, buddy. She's not capable of the job.

September 25, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  13. Republi-Con

GWB is an intellectual Genius in comparison to John McCain and we see how his great mind has put the WHOLE world in chaos.. furthermore I'm not voting for anyone who can't correctly pronounce the word NUCLEAR.

September 25, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. tech

funny! I don't think she has a clue what she is talking about. I bet Palin cannot spell economics! She just needs to accept that she is clueless. Guess why McSame wants to postpone the debates? Cause they have NO POLICIES! He is one of the people that has caused this monetary problem to our great country. He is the main dude in the Commerce committee and he has voted to continue the war and has supported bush economic policies and has been the main dude in advising on commerce and economics! This is why the country's economy went down.
    Please people, spread the news and vote OBAMA to stabilize our country economically and internationally.

September 25, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. J. Dean

PALIN SHOULD ASK THE OLD MAN JOHN McCAIN ABOUT THE CURRENT ECONOMIC CONDITION OF AMERICA, HEY !
    LAST WEEK OLD MAN JOHN McCAIN TOLD US THAT """""""THE FUNDAMENTALS OF OUR ECONOMY IS SOUND, SOLID AND GOOD""""""""". NOW SUDDENLY WE HEAR ABOUT DEPRESSION. WHAT HAPPENED ? WITHIN LESS THAN TEN DAYS CATASTROPHIC EVENTS HAPPENED.
    WHY DON'T PALIN CONSULT HER WITCH-HUNTER PASTOR THOMAS MUTHEE WHETHER SUCH CATASTROPHIC ECONOMIC COLLAPS COULD HAPPEN, HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 25, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. Kelby from Houston, TX

Wow, Palin talked to a reporter? wow, What's next? She's going to participate in a debate with moderator and an opponent?

September 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. Observer

McCain seems to have his eye on the Polls, (downward for him!) and is running scared.

Another incident of him copying Bush.... Instill FEAR into the hearts of
    people, and you'll get your own way.

That seemed to be the content of Bush's robotic speech.

(Did I notice his nose growing longer????)

September 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. Joseph

Truth be told September 25th, 2008 10:42 am ET

She is right on target.

This plan may alleviate it or prolong it- either way, ALL Americans WILL pay the piper for the unethical and irresponsible actions of a few.

Don't kill the messenger.

Sarah is the only politician telling us the real truth.
    _______________________________________________________
    she wouldn't know the truth if it bit her on her arse. This woman has lied time and time again, and has no valid stand points on the problems we face today

September 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. FLewis

Yes, I saw McSane's left eye last night while he was giving his bail-out debate speech and I agree, it looks as if he had a minor stroke.

September 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. Heidi

@

Charlotte September 25th, 2008 10:34 am ET

You may want to create a new "name". We read your post all season long and YOU FLIP FLOP ON YOUR POSTING MORE THAN MCCAIN. HE DESERVES YOUR 1 LITTLE MEANINGLESS VOTE.

Heidi/ NC

September 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Everyday is more absurd than the last in the McPain camp... I mean, have you EVER seen anything like it?
    Lets send these two losers home on the 4th.

September 25, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. Gary Chandler in Canada

The BIG question that SP was asked and HER answer are soooo being overlooked in the Media!
    Before whe was put under wraps, a reporter asked her about McCain's opposition to drilling in Anwar.
    Remember her response? She said she 'will try to change his (little) mind on that' Can you spell insubordination?
    What other issues are Tod and her going to 'change his mind' on?
    *He votes to fund pro choice groups.
    * She is against birth control and sex education in schools
    *Does he believe in shooting wolves from planes, that global warming is a myth, and polar bears are not endangered?
    *abortion for rape victims
    * as a maverick, he opposed Bush gun legislation
    * the list goes on Independence for Alaska
    McCain and Palin should debate!!!
    Try to find either of the Palin's waving an American flag before she was selected!!!!!
    Palin/Palin 2012
    (I still predict she will be dumped for Romney or Lieberman)

September 25, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. Ace_123

Hi Guys,

I am still trying to figure out who would be beter for USA. First of all neither Obama nor Mc Cain has any background in economics. Secondly, the problem USA is facing is very unique. Few days ago, smartest people in the world (Warren Buffet, Paulson and numerous others) were not aware of the extent of the problem.

How do you expect people like Obama or McCain to comeup with an on the spot solution for a problem no one has ever faced specially with their experience.

As a result of above, both Barack and McCain have no idea what to do and all they can do is accuse each other of not being capable.

Obama's phillosophy is that he should be the next president because McCain is not capable enough and not because he is capable to be one. What kind of b.s is that. He might be more than capable but he has never demonstrated that and once again USA would fall for another charmer.

McCain on the other hand has no clue either. He hasnt demonstrated that he would be a capable president. Switches statements often. I frankly do not understand what he is gunning for.

I hear more about McCain in Obama's speeches and more about Obama in McCain's. This is a big joke.

Media should report as few verbal attacks as possibble and focus more on other stuff.

US needs a smarter leader than that. Someone who can step out of this blame game routine.

Till then I am not voting.

Cheers

September 25, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  24. george from alaska

Palin is dodging filing her finances and now wants to postpone or skip her debate. She refuses to speak openly to the press. She wants to destroy thousands of Juneau, Alaska families financially just so she doesn't have to commute and to line pockets She is totally in league with the oil compamies and loves secrecy. She fires or eliminates whoever gets in her way. Gee i think it would be great to have her as vp and hopefully president...heil Sarah!

September 25, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  25. Obama: "I think that it is going to be part of the president's job to deal with more than one thing at once."

And if someone cannot multitask, then that person has no business being President of the United States.

Let me make sure I understand. McCrypt has been in Congress for 26 years and in the power party for 6 of the last 8 years, and now you need to rush back to D.C. and cannot afford to give up one night? Last week all was fine, and now you have to get back to prevent the economy from slippling into a depression by next Monday??? What pearls of wisdom do you have to contribute on the economy??? The correct answer is "NONE".

Of course, it is very telling when a candidate shows that he can only handle one issue at a time.

Memo to McCrypt: There are no “rest stops” or “time outs” in life, especially in the life of the President of the United States!.

September 25, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |