September 25th, 2008

Palin: Another Great Depression could happen

(CNN) - John McCain’s public position on the state of the nation’s economy has shifted since his early optimism of last week, as the Republican nominee maintains that the country faces its worst economic crisis since World War II.

In a rare television interview, Sarah Palin went a bit further: asked another Great Depression looms if a bailout plan is not approved quickly, Palin told CBS’s Katie Couric: "Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on."

Watch: Is Palin avoiding the media?

McCain later told Couric that although he believes conditions are dire in the nation’s financial markets, he’s not sure "if exactly a depression" would happen. "I don't think we need to scare people, but I do think we need to tell people the truth," he said.

Palin pointed to John McCain’s warnings about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago. She could not point to other instances where he had pushed for stricter oversight. “But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?” asked Couric.

Palin replied. “I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.” Pressed for more specific examples, Palin responded: “I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

The interview took place before McCain’s campaign told CNN that the Arizona senator was looking to move the date of the first presidential debate to October 2 – currently slated as the day Palin would face off with Democratic VP nominee Joe Biden.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Michael in Houston

Once again Palin knows nothing but want's to run her mouth about everything. And how dumb does she sound " McCain warned everyone about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac" but then he turns around not even two weeks ago and states "our economy is fundalmentally sound". And when Katie asked for specifics, Palin gives the "bail out " line, "I'll try to find some and bring them to you"???? Why don't you just tell Katie that you will have one of your staff get back with her. Katie, don't hold your breath, there are not really any truthful examples Palin can give. She is not only crazy christian fanatic , on top of that she is extremely clueless.

September 25, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. Paco

This crisis is on the backs of Democrats! It's written in history....look it up! Do not trust the Democrats!

September 25, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Get Real

Sarah my dear....

You're an idiot.

September 25, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. Joe Regis

McCain – Palin is running scare. Next, they will ask to delay the election until they know what is going on, the problem facing America so to speak.

"If can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Obama/Biden 08/12.

5. eds

What a joke.
    She knows nothing. McCain has done NOTHING to avoid the current crisis. His showboating to DC is useless. What a scam these two are.
    For me, McCain is showing his propensity to act rashly and try to play the "hero", however he is a day (?? years) late and a dollar (or 700 billion) short since he supported all the policies that led to this.
    He's just scared to debate since he has no stand of his own, only borrowed stances from whomever sounds best at that right moment... and delay the VP debate??? delay the flaying of the pitbull–a natural desire. Unacceptible.
    Let the people finally see what a horrible decision he made with his choice.

6. Reality

I am glad two candidates for our nation's top offices actually care about our economy enough to stop the mud-slinging. A shame Obama's ego and inexperience have left him stangant in the face of major disaster.

Obama is not ready to lead. Maybe in another decade.

7. Elizabeth in Texas

She was awful last night. Couric looked like she wanted to leave because the interview was so awful. Palin just repeats herself over and over again and looks so lost. I almost feel sorry for her. "I will find some and get back to you", is what she said when asked to give examples of McCain's record.

Is this for real?

8. badidea05

About two weeks ago, web bloggers predicted that the McCain camp would be posturing to prevent the Biden-Palin debate from ever taking place. The attempt to "re-schedule" the first Obama-McCain debate into the place & time of the planned VP debate is move number one to keep Palin from having to debate Biden.

9. alvino

Sarah has little credibility and should not make statements that would undermine any process going on in the congress to fix this mess. As for her own background, from troopergate, abuse of power gate, witness tampering gate, bridge to nowhere gate, Alaska earmark gate, minister gate, she has shown she is not the one to help clean out Washington.

10. Kenneth

Why aren't these journalist asking the really tough questions the public wants to hear such as:

Mrs. Palin, WHAT IS THE McCAIN PLAN TO PULL THE COUNTRY OUT OF THE MESS THAT THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION IS LEAVING THE COUNTRY IN, AND WHY SHOULD WE TRUST ANOTHER REPUBLICAN TO FIX WHAT THE REPUBLICANS DESTROYED IN THE FIRST PLACE?

If Katie Couric, Lou Dobbs, and Glen Beck are so smart, why the hell don' they run for office? They can't be any more worthless than Palin!

11. David Minneapolis

Great depressions tend to happen after reckless barons of industry have their way with our economy and then leave us holding the shattered pieces of our dreams. This happened before in the 1920s and led to the New Deal and FDR's vision for a new society. Now that the Republicans have successfully gutted the social safety net set up under the New Deal and underfunded our infrastructure, schools and services to help finance their wars overseas, we are looking at a New Great Depression.

Well guess what, it would be insane to put McCain and Palin, proponents of deregulation, at the helm. Do you really think they would hold lobbyists and Wall Street accountable for their mess. No, they would continue down the road that Bush made: follow; follow; follow; follow; follow the yellow cake road. And you and I had better start thinking about our kids and our grandkids and whether they will have any future at all given the recklessness and idiocy of the criminal Bush Doctrine...you know, the one Palin can see from her backyard.

12. Len in Washington

As if America needs any more evidence that this person is incompetent.
    The first rule of crisis management is "Don't Spark Panic."

She failed and McCain had to try and cover for her.

13. John in Ohio

I want to see Sarah Palin in an unrestrained press conference. She needs to show the ability to handle herself unshepherded in a situation that isn't carefully scripted and choreographed.

14. Republican voting for Obama/Biden

The only reason McSleeze is opting out of the debate is to keep Sarah Palin from having the VP debate. McSleeze is worst than scum.

There is no reason why he can't debate. The American People deserve to hear from them. If Friday was Election Day would he opt out of that, also!! McCreep makes me sick.

15. j williamson

"We're doomed! doomed...doomed...doomed!" Would Republicans stop stealing 1960's television dialogue from the late "Dr. Smith?"

16. Sharon Kitchen

oh, oh........did she not "clear" her comment with McCain??????
    Gotta watch out for all those "tricky "questions........
    Actualy , people are just VERY concerned.

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. IWASP!-Intelligent Woman Against Sarah Palin!

If he suspended his campaign then why did he still do the interview and why is he doing the Global Intiatives thing today where he campaigned for himself? Also both repubs and dems in the senate said he is not needed, just his vote. Friday also they are suspending all action in the senate. And i won't even comment on palin's comments, she is clueless, I didn't even watch the interview (can;'t stand the site of her) but whatever she said was scripted. But she couln't even answer the question about the specific things mccain has done. People, please give me a break. Anyone that buys this crap deserves 4 more years.

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. no more Black eyes

“I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”-Palin

guys i know and i feel for you, believe me, i really feel for you...it is getting harder and harder for you to even pretend to defend Palin and McCain, so all you can do is try to drag Obama down. the only problem is, the lies about Obama still pail in comparison to the truth about McCain/Palin...at some point you will realize that country first is to vote for Obama/Biden. but really, for now my heart goes out to you

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. therealist

“If John McCain wants to bow out, I’m willing to step in and take his podium on Friday,” said Green Party presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney, the former Georgia congresswoman. “The financial meltdown won’t come any closer to a resolution because a presidential debate is postponed. Now is the best time for Americans to see how prepared their leaders are to handle emergencies.”

So..., an Obama/McKinney debate challenge is leveled. Now we get to see just how big Obamaballs really are..

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  20. Charles I Am

The Depression is your campaign trying to keep you out of the public eye. Talking points are good but they do require some meat every now and then.

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. Cindy

I know that the press is fed-up with playing "Where's Waldo" with
    Palin. That is the main reason why they will never get my vote.

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. Brenda

Sarah Palin gives me "The GREAT DEPRESSION"..She's a walking disaster!

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  23. JOHN

"I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you," she said. Hmm, I don't know about that. And now we hear that the VP debates may be postponed. I wonder why?

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  24. Anti Palin...Pro Women

--yes........if u and your stupid party get in to our W.H again.

September 25, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. John in Ohio

-----------–
    It's really REALLY bad when Katie Couric is too tough of an interview for Caribou Barbie.

September 25, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |