September 25th, 2008

Palin: Another Great Depression could happen

(CNN) - John McCain’s public position on the state of the nation’s economy has shifted since his early optimism of last week, as the Republican nominee maintains that the country faces its worst economic crisis since World War II.

In a rare television interview, Sarah Palin went a bit further: asked another Great Depression looms if a bailout plan is not approved quickly, Palin told CBS’s Katie Couric: "Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on."

Watch: Is Palin avoiding the media?

McCain later told Couric that although he believes conditions are dire in the nation’s financial markets, he’s not sure "if exactly a depression" would happen. "I don't think we need to scare people, but I do think we need to tell people the truth," he said.

Palin pointed to John McCain’s warnings about the state of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago. She could not point to other instances where he had pushed for stricter oversight. “But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?” asked Couric.

Palin replied. “I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.” Pressed for more specific examples, Palin responded: “I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.”

The interview took place before McCain’s campaign told CNN that the Arizona senator was looking to move the date of the first presidential debate to October 2 – currently slated as the day Palin would face off with Democratic VP nominee Joe Biden.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Tracy

Elaine-

I think you are on to something about McCain's health- I said the same thing to my husband last night. Has his eye always been droopy or did something happen???? I can't remember noticing his eye in the past. If he has had a stroke or something- he needs to come clean.

September 25, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. jim hawkins

ASK PALIN TO SPELL POTATO !!!!!!! DUH !!!

September 25, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  3. Barney

His teleprompter didn't fail – he was receiving applause that we couldn't hear – CNN could hear it.

IDIOT – stop spreading fear and lies.

September 25, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. Good for her

I agree.

And McCain has shown his leadership- while Obama wants to put his responsibility as a sitting senator aside and continue to campaign for his NEW job.

Obama needs to stop putting his campaigning AHEAD of his current job as senator.

Obama is being PAID to do his current job. Time to stop campaigning and take on his responsibility as a sitting Senator.

I applaud McCain's leadership on this.

Obama is out for himself. He needs to do the job he is already hired to do and not worry about the new job he wants to have.

September 25, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Debbie Joyner

I know must of the folks who hang out on the CNN political ticker are political junkies (paid or otherwise) but I would truly like to see the circus of the presdential campaign stop for a few days while our elected leaders deal with the financial and economic issues.
    We can go back to playing gotcha politics on Monday, if/when it has been dealt with. I know many Obama supporters feel the suspension of his campaign was a media stunt, and I'm certainly no McCain mind reader, but I DO know – that it is a healthy step. People can't really expect something meaningful to come out of D.C. while this circus continues.

September 25, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. DebM, Allentown, PA

Cmon cnn...

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Really, I thought, according to McCain, the fundamentals of the economy are strong? He switches positions so often and so quickly that I'm surprised he doesn't have whiplash.

September 25, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Glen

This Couric interview confirms that Palin is dangerously unqualified to be in the executive office.

September 25, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. AW

THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT HER THAT CONVINCES ME SHE IS QUALIFIED TO MAKE THE JUDGEMENT ABOUT THE ECONOMY SHE IS MAKING. SHE MAY BE MIMICKING SOMEONE ELSE, BUT SHE APPEARS TO BE CLUELESS TO ME. I JUST COULD NOT BE MORE THRILLED TO KNOW THE PAKISTANI PREZ THINKS SHE IS GORGEOUS. THIS GIVES ME SUCH COMFORT TO KNOW A WORLD LEADER HAS THE HOTS FOR HER.
    EVERY TIME SHE ANDMCCAIN OPEN THEIR MOUTHS, A THOUSAND UNDECIDED VOTES SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY GO TO OBAMA AND BIDEN. THANK GOD FOR OBAMA AND BIDEN.
    LET THE DEBATES BEGIN ON SCHEDULE.

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. robert ga

SHE HAS NO CLUE ABOUT WHAT MCCAIN HAS DONE , YES HE HAS DONE A LOT AS A MAVERICK, DOES SHE EVEN KNOW WHAT MAVERICK MEANS

i AM OUT OF HERE , I HAVE HAD ENOUGH.

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. She is right

Why get mad at the truth?

Americans know this is so.

Obamabots will slam her for not lying to us- the very transparency and straight talk they claim to want.

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. MarioB., Berlin FOR OBAMA/BIDEN

Jesus...how UNqualified can a vp-pick be?
    My gosh, if she moves on that way she will be in Guiness Book of Records next year as "worst VP-pick of all times"
    I just can pray, Americans are smart enough to do the right choice, actually it's playing into Obamas direction again, North Carolina is a toss-up again and Obama even in front there, with ca. 1% advantage. Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, Michigan and Virginia, THESE states will get a blue paint in 40 days.

Obama/Biden by landslide!

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. mitchell

she'll get back to you?
    ummm, 'the iranians are threatening to nuke israel,what do you do gov. palin?' "i'll get back to you on that."
    "how'd i do, daddy warbucks?'

john. " please return to the bus. katie?"
    yes, john?
    " i'll get back to you on that, too."

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  13. Barney

About his left eye – it's getting worse. I'm thinking he is suffering mini-strokes and is drugged to appear as normal as possible. Hope I'm wrong. I want him well enough to KNOW he lost.

September 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  14. Rob

Obama doesn't want to delay the debate and actually do the job he was elected for because his head is so in the clouds about being president he's already put down a hefty deposit with the flag making companies to add 7 more stars.

Or could it be that he won't go back because he's afraid that people will see just how much knowledge he lacks. He's great a saying change, put can't do anything to back it up.

Obama – All talk, no action.

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. Gidget Shot Bullwinkle

She is predicting an American future if She and McCain win this Election.

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Bendo

I'm reading the comments, reading the blogs and the reaction to all this and I cant keep from laughing at this repub ticket, anything and everything they do or say is just soo funny, they are humilating harcore repugs, George Will must be rolling his eyes and to think the repug supporters are having anything to say in their defense is just sooo funny, these two will go down as the most brainless due in american political history, just can keep from laughing!!!!

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Diana NJ

Good to finally hear some honest comments from McCain/Palin to confirm us of the true consequences from the deregulation, so is it time to turn the page? Maybe it is still not too late for them to learn something new and accept reality. But hopefully they would not be the one who will start learning from Day one. The 3:00 a.m. telephone call may come too soon and they have to put it on hold first and answer later.

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. BOB

Another Great Depression could happen ............ if McCain's elected

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  19. mccain is scared to debate

Palin is a Liar that gets feed information for her to get through the day. in that interview she said she doen't no how Mccain Pushed for regulation in his 26 years in office when catie pushed her all she can do is recite what they told her. She is the Most flawed Vp ever these makes me think now that the lady gives me my food at mac donalds could one day just pop up and Be VP. Scary Scary Scary

September 25, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  20. CindyN--PA

I for one do not want McCain or Palin in charge of our economy.
    I know that McCain is delaying this Debate because they know that they cant put Palin on stage. So now they will try and get rid of the VP debate. Just another tactic or stunt from McCain. It really scares me that they could actually lead our country. These ploys have to stop. Put Palin out there and tell her to start taking questions from our media. It's time. The time is now.

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. The bells of freedom chiming

Watch the Obamabots and Palin haters throttle Sarah for being honest and telling it like it is.

We are ALREADY in a depression folks- look at the facts.

Our sorry leaders are trying to scramble to prevent a total meltdown.

Too much easy money- too much easy credit- too much greed- too much stupidity.

Sarah rings true.

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  22. Caldy

Yes, its difficult to bone up on world politics and history in a couple of months. That's why we normally elect politicians who hold degrees and PhDs in law or history....
    This reminds me of a show on BBC America where random people are plucked off the street and trained for a week in a specific profession (hairdresser, chef etc). Often they dont do too well but it is entertaining. In this case, its just insulting and scary.

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Wendy

If anyone believes Palin I have a 26 million dollar "road to nowhere" you can buy, oh wait the taxpayers already paid for that! Hypocricy & lies has replaced the "straight talk express".

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  24. Maggie from Virginia

Isn't it funny that the McCain supporters that posted comments to this article completely ignored the fact that she could not come up with any specific examples of what McCain has done in 26 years to take a stand on the economic issues facing us today. Her response is totally unacceptable. She is totally unacceptable.

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  25. BK

Joe Biden makes stupid statements everyday. There was no TV in 1929. If Gov. Palin made the stupid statements that Biden makes it would be all over the news. Double standard? I would trust Palin that an idiot like Biden that makes false statements every time he opens his mouth.

McCain suspends his campaign and goes back to work, thats leadership. Obama does not want any part of it. He might have to make a decision, instead of talking and he can't vote present. He wants to debate and has already turned down a debate 10 times. TALK TALK thats all Obama does.

September 25, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |