September 26th, 2008

Crowley: Was all that talk worth the time?

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - Forty minutes in, and it looks like we have moved off the economy. I can't help but wonder if that 40 minute conversation was more confusing than enlightening - I heard a lot of campaign trail lines from both, though the volume is lower.

Filed under: Candy Crowley
  1. matt

not much new information here. party lines. however mccain seems more believable and human. obama is just regurgitating rhetoric. both of them need to take economics 101. i don't want to go to hell, but i also dont want to live in a socialist state.

September 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. Antoinette Sprowl

McCain only cares about the rich. Americans needs to wake up to this fact. Republicans only makes the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

September 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  3. mmattish

What is Obama saying? He talks, talks, and talks, but what is his point. Doesn't he know brevity is a virtue. By the time he is finishing his explanation, we could all be blown up. He is quite a speaker, but not a decision maker!!!!!

September 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. Jennifer kirsch

If it was important enough to McCain to suspend the debate because of the catastrophic events in our economy, wouldn't it be prudent to alter the course of the debate to include a large portion of the discussion to be focused on our financial collapse? That is what is on people's minds tonight. I listened and yet I didn't hear any solutions. I'm no economy maverick but I do understand the big guys are getting bailed out by us, the tax payers. How will that benefit us?

P.S. McCain is doing better than I thought he would.

September 26, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  5. P.

I agree. I am terribly disappointed with the structure and format of this 'debate' or 'conversation' tonight. I feel that no one has really pinpoint the issues and the moderator has failed to take control of this forum. Surely, McCain scores stronger points on Iraq, but as an American taxpayer, the war is not my only concern. I want to hear a strategy plan on the economy and a proposal regarding a recovery plan. I really feel this has been a complete waste of time.

September 26, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  6. Dan

Mc Cain does not know what he is talking about

September 26, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. Diane Dagenais Turbide

It is like the campaign trail but we get to see again that McCain will not cut income tax from the well off by not looking at tax code and will have two different forms of income tax...and then he says he will cut spending..does not make any sense! Two forms more room for abuse!

September 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. Doug

I'm getting dizzy... Obama is going is his usual circles...

September 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  9. Mickelle

OBAMA is responding to the questions intelligently and to the point! Not 2 mention that he has to clear up every lie that McCain says about him and his decisions...any one who has any kind of intelligence that goes beyond basic english would understand OBAMA clearly!!! And know that McCain as all Republicans...just talk say things, pose them as facts...w/o anything 2 back it up!! Seriously, what is McCain talking about?!

September 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  10. Lynne

It is stunning to me that both candidates persisted with their preconceived agendas in the face of this historic financial issue. Both candidates seemed to dismissively agree that of course they would vote for the bailouts, then proceed to convince us who would provide the better tax cut!! Unbelievable! I'm more convinced than ever that I will be voting third party for the first time.

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. matt

obama has no respect and is entitled, by his own admission. how many times has he referred to Senator McCain as "John" and himself as "President". Epitome of arrogance? Not exactly the quality of a leader. Obama is more willing to talk to Ahmadhinejad and Chavez than traditional American allies. This is America and Obama is not Jesus. get real obama

September 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. palmetto

Zowie – Obama finally bites back on the preconditions issue.

September 26, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Donn, Minneapolis

Same old, same old from both of these guys

September 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  14. GEEZER/GIDGET '08

I agree, I would like to have had the topics switched so the economy would be addressed at this one and the foreign policy in the last one, seems as tho' that would have been more pertinent

September 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  15. Mickelle

Finally!!...Barack is starting 2 call McCain out... he is just soo pretentious. No Spain, but he'll go to Georgia?....

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  16. EDMAN FROM ALLETOWN

TELL ME WHY SEN. McCAIN ,WILL NOT LOOK AT SEN. OBAMA, AS HE SPEAKS. ON TOPICS AND , SEN. OBAMA BACKGROUND.

September 26, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  17. jeff - american in south korea

Mccain seems to keep focusing on earmarks. If he believes that is the major problem with the economy he is sadly mistaken. I can't believe he spent so much time talking about the same thing over and over. What a waste of time. It was all political. I think McCain is out of touch. He seems to have the mindset that the USA is the same as the floor of the Senate. I think he's been in the Senate too long. The American economy is much more complex.

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  18. Doug

I'm getting dizzy, Obama is going in his usual circles..

September 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  19. matt

does the fact obama wants to be buddies with communists and dictators scare anyone else? anyone?

September 26, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. palmetto

I'll bet McCain's people are screaming, "Not SNIDE, John! Not SNIDE!!"

September 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  21. Denise From Tennessee

McCain keeps bringing up the past administrations and continues to bring up things from the past.. I live in the present and the future and want to know what is going to happen now..

September 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  22. missouri

McCain is so out of touch when it comes to health care..and if any one thinks that they have real choices now, is living in a dream. The insurance companies make all the decisions. I get to make a choice from a list and if my company changes insurance providers, I have to hope that my current doctor is on the list..and if I need a specific procedure, I need to make sure the doctor writes it up so it will get covered...don't tell me I have choices now.....

September 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  23. Betty

Obama is making a fool of himself. The last three days of rehersals did not work, Go McCain

September 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |