September 26th, 2008

McCain would consider sweeping spending freeze

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/26/art.mccain.om.ap.jpg caption="McCain wants to freeze government spending."]

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - Sen. John McCain, the Republican candidate for president, said Friday he would seriously consider freezing all government spending except for defense and care of veterans.

Sen. Barack Obama, his Democratic opponent, said that would be "using a hatchet where you need a scalpel."

1. Cindy

Yes for Obama. thank Giod we have him and a chance to have an intelligent man . One with a vision .

September 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. NormaRae2

A spending freeze would paralyze this economy even more than what we are facing. This would be a major economic fiasco.

September 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. Judy from Austin, TX

Mr. McCain,
    Please don't free federal funding for my children's public elementary school education just because Republican's couldn't control themselves.
    Sincerely,
    Stay at Home Mom

September 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  4. Kris K from RM,CA

That is the wrong answer John. That is an answer I do not want to hear. That idea is not a good one or one that is feasible for the American public.
    Your ideas are out date, behind the times, will not work, my friend.
    I can't tell you how ineffective your answers or ideas are in relationship to what is currently going on in AMerica or the world.
    OUT OF DATE.

September 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  5. jerry woolsey

This is the saddest thing that I have seen in my 70 years.With everything set aside that I am a live long democrat,I am saddened that the Republican party could do no better than McCain.I am so sick and tired of his same old same old answers.
    Then to top if off there is this poor Palin. My old heart shudders to think that she might be the next president.
    Obama ,well he means well but he is becoming a "Politican" Im sick of of all the " I wills and more I wills".
    God help[ America. .
    I am so sick of Kennedy's,Clinton's, Bushes.

September 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

This is suppose to be McCain's turf, but they are doing about even.

McCain better pick it up with the remaining half hour because he is not going to do well on the next two domestic debates.

September 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. Danielle

that was hilariously stupid of McCain.

September 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  8. We need Change

We have been in Iraq far too long wasting our hard earned dollars on a mis-managed war. Now our Economy is in danger of collapse, 47 million Americans do not have health care, American people who only wanted home ownership were lied to and exploited for Wall Street's gain, and McCain wants to continue to play War Hero. He is clueless about the Economy and it shows. He wants us to stay 100 years in Iraq. He doesn't understand what the definition of Victory means. Our Veterans and our soldiers are already Victorious despite the harm that Bush and McCain have brought upon them. McCain is Bush - Bush is McCain no matter how hard he tries to separate himself. We need a fresh face with fresh and more creative ideas on how to move our country in the right direction.

September 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. GEEZER/GIDGET '08

I am for Obama nad I tried to give the geezer a chance, but he is not debating he is just recycling his tired stump speech right down to the same tired jokes.

"bear paternity"
    "miss conenilaity"
    ad nauseum

The geezer has now got a new title tho' DRAMA QUEEN so maybe next year he can get that desired Miss Congeniality title!
    "

September 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  10. GEEZER/GIDGET '08

What is it with the Geezer, we want future problems solved, what is with all the war stories???

September 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  11. william

McCain is sounding more like Bush everyday …it’s my way or no way

September 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  12. MommaSchell

This guy is not speaking in our current reality. There's no competition here. Barack is starting to take some names....

September 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  13. Emily

Sen. McCain's approach in this debate continue to mirror his campaign which has been filled with half truths and out right lies. Honestly, McCain and his views not only represent 4 more years of the same old crap, but his manner of delivery is an insult to the educated American. And please please please...Mr. McCain...Stop giving the American people your autobiography and talk about an issue.

Regarding the pending spending freeze...I think that that statement clearly demonstrates where McCain's loyalties lie and define his inability to even comprehend the suffering of the average American or the BIG PICTURE and need for new priorities. Oh and by the way, can someone please tell me where I can buy free market health insurance for $5000.00??? I mean with a preexisting condition? What planet is McCain from?

September 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. deborah, WV

What he means is that he would freeze out the American people's programs, but still fund this billion dollar war machine and keep the oil companies profits flowing. We the people would be the only losers.

September 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. Ike from PA

Any monkey and a weeks worth of bananas know that you just can have a sweeping freeze on government spending. What about rising heath care costs? Are you going to freeze medicare benefits? I can name a thousand necessary government programs that you just cannot blindly freeze. Here we go with his half baked, half cocked comments just to get votes.

September 26, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  16. Independent

McCain what about consider taxes give away freeze for Corporations and have them pay what they should pay.

September 26, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  17. Shindella

The Media went on amd back and fourth about Obama not wearing his flag pin. Now not one person has said a word and McCain hasn't worn his in at least two days.

September 26, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  18. Erick in Alabama

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's eating Mccain up!!! Mccain really seems lost and so "out of touch". He's distorting Obama's record and he knows it. Go Obama, and I can't wait to see Joe Biden rip Sarah Plain and Tall into pieces!!!!!!!!!!!

September 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  19. ripon

Strong obama supporter, but my god, he is coming across like a policy wonk. McCain is attacking etc, and Obama just uses big words.

God, another 4 years of Bush, and now MCccain/Palin.

September 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. Art H

I have to say that Sen. McCain is really sounding hawkish and really doesn't understand the loss of support that would ensue with a freeze on nearly all domestic spending.

September 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  21. Enough is Enough

That was hilarious. LOL If that does not get people to see how impolsive and irresponsible he is then America is done.

September 26, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. Maria

That is scary. What about our education system? What about safety on our streets? What about the Dept. of Labor? etc., etc.., etc. The smartest move is to stop spending 10B per month, as Sen. Obama has stated, for paying for the War in Iraq. America needs its government to put us first. I do not feel any safer today than immediately following 911.

September 26, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  23. BF

I am just amazed at the out right lies of Sen. McCain. The business tax in Ireland is 12.5 in Ireland not 11 and it is the lowest in the world. France is 34.4 percent where Sen. McCain wanted to send the tanker deal there instead of jobs in the US. He belittled the earmarks Obama asked of 980 Mill for the state of ILL as outrageous. Governors Pallin's earmarks were 440 Million for a state of 100.000 where Illinois has a population of almost 13 Million. Amazing to me. Would someone please call Sen. McCain on his outrageous lies.

September 26, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. shan

A spending freeze is an dumb way to fix the economy. If we are going to freeze anything, we should freeze tax cuts for the wealthy. He also has a very nasty habit of not looking at Obama. Another thing McCain is doing is repeating the same rhethoric we have heard throughout his campaign.

September 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  25. Donn, Minneapolis

The loser of this debate is the american people. Same OLD solutions to the same old problems. Don't they understand that all these problems are linked.

September 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |