October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. seektruth

I am Scared! Wake up American!

October 1, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. Papasan

I laugh so hard that I cry...
    And to think it's all true!

October 1, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  3. No way No how No McLies

No wonder she had to bring in daddy McCain for the rest of the interview. What a joke!

McPitbull... Is she ready? NO!

October 1, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. chuck

Bless her heart, she's dumb. I guess she just read off the teleprompter with regard to Exxon v Valdez, and didn't remember that was one recent case she disagreed with.

October 1, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  5. ellington7

Palin is a pawn, a useless pawn that will be put out of view once the repthuglicans get done using her.

obama biden 08

October 1, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. Smiley from Conyers, GA

She has a degree in journalism from five different colleges. What kind of answer were you really expecting to get?

October 1, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. Having fun watching this from Canada

If you Americans actually vote this bimbo in as VP, then you deserve all of the pain and hardship that the Republicans will continue to bestow upon you.

October 1, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. Ann

Oh, my God... and I thought I sometimes talk in riddles. She runs circles around me. I'm not sure if I will laugh or cry Thursday night.

October 1, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. Ticker Addict!

Her answers to these questions sound a lot like answers that contestants in beauty pageants give. Even her grammar is a spot-on beauty queen impersonation.

Oh wait...she's not faking it. "Beauty queen" is a large chunk of her experience.

October 1, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  10. elisa

what a mess she is..

October 1, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  11. Chris in CA

Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Guess I'll decide after November 4th.

October 1, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  12. Meka

HEY DOUG, NOONE NEEDS TO DO ANYTHING. . .

THAT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF!

October 1, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  13. Don

Gov. Palin, leave the race and go spend time with that young son of yours.

October 1, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  14. bob L.

I think it is an insult to the Americans' intelligence for her to be picked as VP. More of the same from McInSane, McSame McMuddle. I can see Supreme Court. What does it make me, Chief Justice?

October 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  15. David

Sarah Palin is a moron. She can get as much practice as she wants before the debate, but to do well, one needs a brain. She clearly does not have one.

October 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  16. Jerrod

I just wonder how this interview was filtered through the liberal media editing department –

Liberalism is a cancer that will kill us all.

October 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  17. TRUTH-B-TOLD

House GOP" Pelosi was MEAN to us, so we're gonna WRECK THE USA!" WWAAAAA! WAAAAA!

October 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  18. Charlie

Doug, you should stop trying to attack Couric. She is simply doing her job as an interviewer. Don't you really want to know what Palin is all about? You are willing to support her, and I am sure you don't know anymore about her than I do.

October 1, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Roger

This makes me like Palin even more!

McCain/Palin

October 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. Ray in PA

I don't know why anyone would be surprised. I mean, Governor Palin can't handle any interviews unless it is with right wingnuts like Hannity and Hewitt lobbing softballs at her.

Really, she did go to college(s) for this kind of thing. Why would anyone really think she should be able to handle these types of conversations?

I don't think I would mind having a beer with her and her husband, but God help us all if she ever really gets into a position of true power.

October 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. Sharyn in Atlanta

Doug, she's doing this to herself, Couric is doing nothing but giving her the rope, Palin is hanging herself. (If I were Palin, I'd say hangin').

October 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Adolfo

I hate to get on the pick-on-Palin bandwagon, but come on man!!! This woman is making Dan Quayle look like a Rhoodes (?) scholar.

Ha!!

October 1, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. Molly

Then I guess she agrees with segregation and slavery. Any public official worth a wooden nickle ought to be able to name Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson.

She's a nitwit. The arrogance that went into her accepting this nomination is astonishing.

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. IND voter

Um what?

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. Patrick

I'm wondering why McCain didn't just tap Harriet Myers for VP. I heard she's available.

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |