October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. curtis

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but McCain, you really shoulda vetted.

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  2. Dennis

You know it's bad when Katie Couric is the one tripping her up.

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Scary, ain't it.

But, then again, we have been subjected to George W.'s infinite wisdom for 8 long years ...

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. CA Senior, San Jose

McCain is running behind in the polls done by the most expert pollsters but not in the McCain camp's polls. Palin will probably have many appearances where she seems more articulate, but her major deficits cannot be erased.

October 1, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. Smart Repubs for O

As an ALASKAN she should at least know about EXXON – VALDEZ cases! And in that case, if she were a supporter of her people, wouldn't she be AGAINST lowering the damages set forth?

October 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  6. smarter than her!

Hey looky there – dumb, dumber, dumbest all in one neat little package. Sure. Yeah.

October 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  7. DICK WOLFSIE

Her grade school daughter could have answered that question.

October 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  8. DPerry

Its because she agrees with them all. DUH

October 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  9. CNN Stinks

Done with you guys & moving on to MSNBC....They will at least listen. You will not post anything I send and favor McCain so much... See ya

October 1, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  10. Amy

What a nice, rambling non-answer from Gov Palin.

October 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  11. Mike

Uhh... wow. So let me get this straight: this lady is the GOP's VP candidate? Really? Her?! No joke?

Seriously?

October 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  12. Janine

I don't want to say anything bad about Palin. I question the judgement of the person who picked her as his running mate when there were so many other stronger women.

October 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  13. Molly

She has no experience and very little education. She would be VP with an undergraduate journalism degree? I get coffee in the morning from people who have higher education degrees than she does.

October 1, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Jacob

Umm...I don't know but I'll get back to ya!

Stupidity at it's worst, but it is amusing on so many levels

October 1, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  15. Caitlin

The most important lesson in studying history is to learn from it and hopefully not repeat it. I am scared for our country when a potential future vice president doesn't even know it.

October 1, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  16. James Wilson

I don't think many Americans can name any Supreme Court cases. So what? Another left wing media stunt from Katie Couric.

October 1, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  17. Mark

She is the complete republican; unthinking and uncaring. She remains moot about what she reads; when Bush leaves office he can mail you his books he read to Alaska, I am sure they are still in mint condition.

October 1, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  18. Don from California

hahaha oh god its so funny hahaha stop no please stop my sides hurt hahahahahahaha

October 1, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  19. Beth

Uh...wow. This just keeps getting scarier.

October 1, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  20. tennisguypitt

Huh? Is she joking?

Obama/Biden '08

October 1, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  21. Independent Voter

Ask a 5th grader about a famous federal case other than Roe vs. Wade, I bet you they can name another one. Palin, the gift that keeps on giving...

October 1, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. Not surprised

Anyone still expects anything intelligence from this "ordinary" hockey mom?? Poor lady.

McCain has BAD judgement yet he is in denial, which make things worse.

October 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. McCain is a Filthy Liar

GO JOE GO!

October 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Dman

( eminent domain)-my apology

October 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. Republican for change

When you lower your expectation, an Alaskan caribou can look quite attractive.

October 1, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |