October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. C

This is becoming painful...

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  2. Rick

I actual gave Palin the benefit of the doubt and wanted to support her because I original supported Hillary. Unfortunately the more I listen to Palin the more I become convinced it would be a grave mistake. She's a great cheerleader. She's got the looks, she's got the great cheers, and she even sounds like many cheerleaders I've observed over the year.

I hope America doesn't fall it and put the fate of our nation in the wrong hands because of some great cheers.

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. Stan

Not nearly as bad as Biden not knowing who was President during the Great Depression!

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  4. Josh

This is the scariest candidate since GWB..... That womans' lack of any knowledge that I can see would benefit us by putting her into office is horrifying, but on the other hand, I think I'm more insulted by the republicans for thinking that the American public is dumb enough to honestly, truly believe that she is qualified to do more that be a hockey mom.... or maybe on the school board for the local schoold district in her home town. I'm so glad we have an alternative to underachieving for another 8 years. Go ahead America...waste your precious vote on more underachieving, selfish, egotistical morons.....

Josh,
    Pennsylvania
    Obama*Biden or bust.......

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. Eric-29-m-PA

Biden thinks FDR was president during the depression and that we had televisions.

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. OMG!

Does not shock me at all. Long winded, roundabout explanations don't cut it Palin. I hope the McCain teachers gave you a crash course for the debate.

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. RYAN kr Jr

Not surprise, she is dumb and clueless.

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  8. Mario

The vetting process for Palin must have consisted of looking at her bare-bones resume on paper, looking at the other people on the list (Ridge and Lieberman pro-choice, not enough Jesus freak – Romney, Mormon and McCain doesn't like him), and saying well, she's a woman so that'll get the Hillary supporters, and she's a super-anti-abortion right-wing Christian type, so that'll play well. How about McCain meets her and if he likes her, we'll do it. He meets her for 2 hrs, they hit it off, she's the nominee! They clearly didn't ask her to demonstrate any knowledge or ability at the national/international level. She is waaaay out of her league.

On another note, I certainly am against wife-beating, but I think the idea of stretching the commerce clause to apply to absolutely anything is silly.

October 1, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  9. Byron in Cincinnati, OH

"I love Sarah Palin, she's a Effin Genius!!!! WOOT!!! " She's just like me cuz I sure as hell couldn't answer ones other than Brown V. Board of Education, Dred Scott, Bush v Gore, oh and I don't know a few others...I love Joe Six Pack Sarah! Way to lead, and to think she'll appoint supreme court justices if she should become president. Unbelievable. I hate McCain for giving us this dimwit.

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  10. bill for barack

The woman is an idiot. Every time she opens her stupid mouth Obama gains another 10 votes. Long may her painted lips flap in the breeze.

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  11. casey

This is ridiculous! Why didn't she say the gitmo decision since she sneered and berated Obama in her convention speech for agreeing with that one. Oh I know why, she didn't even know what she was talking about when she said it! She was just reading a prepared speech from a teleprompter. The media fawned all over her for that speech and look what happens when she has to use her brain, there isn't anything there!!
    MCPALIN keeps FAILIN!!

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  12. David

My wife and I might have difficulty naming perhaps three or four Supreme Court cases, but for the candidate for VP for the Republican Party, not to be able to think of 1 other than Roe v Wade, is a real shame. How extensive was her vetting? It must have been the same as that of George W. Her choice again shows that lack of judgement in picking her and the cynical attempt to pick a physically attractive shallow woman to attract what he perceives as like women. He had intelligent, but perhaps less attractive women to chose from that would have helped him in the long term. Women have figured out this travesty and therefore are flocking to Obama because of it. And rightly so.

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  13. John

Sarah Palin is the poster child for impulsive decision making by John McCain. It scares me that he could be the next president, let alone that she would be a heart-beat away. The rest of the world must be just befuddled.

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  14. Cristine C.

Doug from 7:27 – it's time to admit to yourself that this woman is a buffoon. I love your regugitated phrase "liberal media elite" – where did you get that, Fox News? You and the McCain/Palin ticket deserve each other because none of you appears to be able to look at things other than from your own narrow viewpoint. It's sad, really.

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  15. melinda

What's the difference between Palin and Pres Bush? Lipstick!

October 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  16. Louis Klidonas

Full disclosure: I'm voting for Obama, albeit very reluctantly.

However, I think MSM is playing with fire with their attempts at humiliating this woman. They are going to create a groundswell of sympathy for her. Enough already.

October 1, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  17. hmm

What difference does it make if you can/can't name court cases?

October 1, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  18. Case

I can't beleive this. Palin needs to go!!!

October 1, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  19. RRM

It's too hard to watch. She's not smart enough to be considered an idiot.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  20. Chip

I graduated from law school in 1989, but never practiced law. I highly support Obama, but if I was asked this question on the spot, I also could not name a case. Palin is unfit for this job and shame on McCain for putting politics before country in picking her, but she doesn't deserve so much scorn. I didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was either.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  21. Legalsmartz

Name Supreme Court Justices? She can't even name the tune her running mate is singing! She is incompitent and incapable of running her house let alone a country... But she does make for good TV on Saturday night hahaha

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  22. GeorgiaMom

I am so over this.....enough is enough. Her complete ineptitude is making me sick.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  23. susan

Gov. Palin's interests revolve around state and local issues. And there is nothing wrong with that. She clearly has had no prior interest or self education regarding national or foreign affairs. And, again, there is nothing wrong with that if she is to be governor of Alaska. It is a problem when she is running for vice president. It is a fundamental, devastating flaw for anyone running to be a heartbeat away from the presidency. That lack of education and basic understanding is just not acceptable.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  24. xavier

Is Palin talking english? She makes no sence, so I guess she must be talking in tongues.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. nesto

This is pathetic. What a choice made by our maverick.

October 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |