October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Susan

How about the Exxon Valdez case? At the time of this decision Palin said she disagreed with it. It involves energy, her specialty. Also i t revolved around the worst oil spill in Alaska's history. Oh well, I guess she just forgot–not surprising given her uninformed, rambling answers to other questions. She is soooo lame.

October 1, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. Toronto

Doug, Doug, Doug...

You just dont get it do you.

First of all, Palin has doug her own hole....then repeatedly jumped in it every time she speaks. Couric didn't put the words in her mouth, and Couric didnt say 'I can see Russia from my house'.

Secondly, in case you haven't noticed, it is now REPUBLICAN "media elite" including the National Review, that have suggested she step down.

Get your facts straight.

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  3. xavier

Stan, Chad, Doug,
    No matter how you try to spin it, your VP candidate is an idiot. Would you trust this woman with your life savings? Would you trust her with your child's futures? Would you trust her to make the right decision if your life depended on it? Would you trust her to keep our soldiers safe in a time of war? Would you trust her to deal with Iran, Russia, China and other nations? Would you trust her to deal with North Korea? Would she inspire confidence in our countires darkest hour? These are all questions one must ask themselves when you have a presidential candidate that is over 70 years old.

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  4. WaMu

McCain – A True American Hero

Palin – A Definite Unknown

Obama – Anti-American Terrorist Magnet

Biden – Just Plain Dumb

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  5. Julie

How dare these arrogant, pompous, self-serving senators go against their constituents to stick us with this lousy bill! The Senate seems to have forgotten that our political system is a democracy. Vote against every last one of them. Their purpose for their senate seats is to serve those who have given them seats in the first place. This is a terrible day in American history where the voices of the people are silenced. Vote out these corrupt self-serviing creeps!

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  6. Angel

I am by all means a Democrat but I do give McCain credit for knowing his stuff and being experienced.

But this is just insane... So many qualified women in the GOP and this is the thing he could come up with???

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Oklahoma Woman for Obama 08

Ugh! I'm sick of her being he smoke screen for Mccain and his magic show!! Enough with this idiot!!

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Dan

McCain cancelled out and invalidated the country's need for his extensive experience the moment he nominated Palin. His decision was irresponsible, and now casts a shadow of doubt on his ability to use sound judgment and make rationale decisions.

October 1, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  9. LT

Why does she keep doing these interviews?

She is an affirmative action type hiring.....except in her case, she truely IS unqualified for the job. She doesn't even meet the minimum qualifications as far as I'm concerned.

To listen to pundits speak of her as if she is like Reagan or Clinton just makes me want admit myself to the mental institution........

because I must be the crazy one.

October 1, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  10. Cuban-mami-4-OBAMA

OF COURSE! She is not prepared.

She is not well-educated.

She is not smart.......nor eloquent.

You know, IF Palin was a Democrat the Republican-family-values-right-wing-nuts would be shouting for her to return to her newborn!

The family-first-right-wing-nuts would be shaming Palin for PUTTING CAREER ABOVE FAMILY!

BUT SHE IS REPUBLICAN SO THE FAR-RIGHT-FAMILY-FIRST-VALUES...........IS ............SILENT.

October 1, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  11. Lavon

Do you want this woman to be a heart attack away from the Whitehouse? This is crazy. She has no degree in law, poly-sci, econ, or any of key areas. This is crazy, and the GOP is backing this? She trying to make her 16 year old daughter marry he 17 year old babies daddy, she's out of touch when she made this comment in church "Its God's plan to fight the war in Iraq", and if you think Rev. Wright is bad; check out Miss Palin's minister and his past sermons. This is crazy!!! I don't like Mrs. Clinton, but atleast I can respect her career, unlike Miss Failin and Mc Shame.

October 1, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  12. Michael H.

You must be kidding, this woman is a joke

October 1, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  13. Bob

I have to admit, I'm starting to like Sarah Palin. I mean, her voice is obnoxious and I still know nothing about her ideals... I just like how she's motivating people to become Obama supporters.

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  14. Ms. M

Good pick Sen. McCain!

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  15. Renob

She should have just said Present, like Nobama usually does.

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  16. Epstein

For some odd reason, people want to blame the Katie Couric for Sarah Palins ineptitude.

The fact is that she isn't very educated as far as the world outside of Alaska is concerned.

She may be aesthetically prepared to appear as VP but all she has is her appearance and no substance whatsoever.

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  17. Sandy

I actually don't think I could stand to watch the debate, I think McCain is going to ruin Palin's career.

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  18. Clarice Harris

McCain take her off your ticket. I bet you she don't know how to spell POTATOE (smile)

We all know she does not read............TRAILER PARK TRASH

October 1, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  19. mccrazy

huh?

October 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  20. mitch

that was not a very good answer. but.hey, she's purty!

October 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. vinnie

wow. i had trouble too, naming cases i disagreed with, but mccain picked her for VICE-PRESIDENT?? i liked mccain back in the day, when he was truly mavarick-y, but now? this isn't the same guy. and palin? wow.

i feel bad for her, really. they should lay off a bit, but we need to hear this. mccain made a mistake keeping her under wraps for so long.

October 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  22. Pepsi

Once again she really doesn't know anything that is going on. She doesn't answer a question just skirts around it with a lot of empty words. No one can learn all they need to know to help run our country in the short amount of time she has tried. I hope that everyone is learning this.

OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

October 1, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. DEE

Feeling Sorry for 72 year old man who is running this election alone against OBAMA/BIDEN/PALIN

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Deb

As an Obama supporter I can name all the judges.

Randy, Paula and Simon.

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Emma

I believe the question was what Supreme Court case did she disagree with. Just because she couldn't name one off the top of her head doesn't mean anything. I went to law school and I can't name one without some thought. Roe v. Wade is commonly known. Honestly, how many people can name a Supreme Court case that they disagree wtih without the help of gooogle?

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |