October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. ADG

The only way she can make up for all her dumb answers is if they put an ear peice in her ear tomarrow night, If her hair is down I would check to make sure she dont, I wouldnt put it past mccain .

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. Linda from AZ

How about the case she released a statement as governor concerning the reduced the amount of money to be paid to the state of Alaska for the Exon oil spill?

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. emily

is it wrong that i'm starting to look forward to reading/watching/hearing about the stupid stuff she says each day? i mean, this is getting absolutely ridiculous.

and had i known that all that's needed to govern the largest state in the union is a crappy BA, then i would have never gone back to school to become a doctor.

October 1, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. Teresa, Georgia

SP=Start Packing

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  5. Florida Gold

The best thing the poor Sarha can do for her party is to go home quietly and take with her our VP Channey with her and take him to the mountings of Alaska and teach him how to be a better SHOORER

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  6. Republicans for Obama

This is why my family and I are not voting for McCain, he showed poor judgment in her selection and I fear for my Grandchildren if Obama doesn't win this election!

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  7. J

Silly Sarah the moosehunter goes to Washington – and "meets the press" – well, only the friendly ones.

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  8. ben

McCain is not about COUNTRY 1st.

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  9. djak

All I have to say Gov. Palin is....YOU SHOULD HAVE BLINKED

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. NoTrustInPolitics

This just further proves that the McCain campaign is headed by and supporting the worlds biggest dumba*ses.

Oh, and to some of the people commenting on the electoral map post who think I support McCain: I'm an Obama supporter.

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. Californian against made up words

What? What? I am trying to understand this woman, but seriously! I can't understand a word she says!

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  12. Mialexie

I love how so many people are blaming the 'liberal media elite' for cornering and trapping the governor.

Do you people really want to be led by someone that would be "trapped" by the question, 'name a Supreme Court case. ANY Supreme Court case"?

The only person offhand I can think of who might be stumped by this is my nephew. He's seven. Then again, he can see Canada from his backyard, so perhaps he's qualified too......

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  13. B. Stiles

Good observation - Yeah, it is a really, really big deal for someone who wants to be one beat of septuagenarian's heart away from being the most powerful person on earth.

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  14. Julie

Sarah Palin should quit. She is inept and with her verbal jab at Joe Biden in regards to age she managed to insult her presidential candidate, insulted everyone older than she is, and sounded like a grade school child. When my daughter was two her greatest insult was to call anyone who offended her, including me, "Baby!" This is exactly how she sounded.

October 1, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  15. Flabbergasted

Does Palin realize how unprepared she is to be any party's VP nominee and how uneducated and simple-minded she is in American, let alone international, politics? On a personal level, it is sad that she does not realize the great danger she will put the USofA in, if she were to ever become president. Is it out of ignorance or selfish ambition that she remains in the running?

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  16. Shelby

Sarah Palin is like her Alaskan Governor's Mansion: The lights are on, but nobody's home!

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  17. Jeffrey

she is Pitiful, but so is McCain, imagine what the white house would be like with her as president. One thing for sure, gwb and her have alot in common! They are both DUMB! very sad to be the president and a state governor. This has to be embarressing for Alaska to watch this dummy!

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  18. Joseph

She has a superficial understanding of how this country operates. No way should someone like this lead, or even be considered for VP...much less a chance at President.

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  19. Josh

If Biden disagreed with the Violence Against Women's Act case (name escapes me now) perhaps he can explain which part of the Act triggered the Commerce Clause. Listen, the majority of people in Washington are law school grads who took a full year of Con Law. Palin, like most "average Americans" cannot name SCOTUS cases other than Roe v. Wade. If you wanna know the worst decision, it's Kelo and if Obama has his way he'll nominate justices like those who formed the majority in Kelo.

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  20. Lori

Good grief. I am so sick of hearing about what the vultures of tv have dragged out of Palin. Katie, Anderson, Charlie...they can't get enough ratings telling news that they've all turned themselves into what amounts to nothing more than scandal and entertainment tv. Forget the news! Can we draw blood??? So, so sick of them all and I don't care if I ever see them on tv again. Especially you, Anderson! I used to watch you with my kids. You all discust me now. What ever will you talk about when the election is over? I'm sure you'll be hanging out at what ever roadkill you can find. When you get tired of Palin, you be sure to ask Biden if he remembers what he had for breakfast..or maybe ask some people in goverment if they remember ridiculing the republicans a few years ago (look for the videos on utube) for trying to get them to wrangle in fannie and freddie. You don't care about the truth, it's not juicy enough for you and doesn't have the right angle. You are all a huge failure and dissappointment to journalism. Goodness, how we all miss Tim.

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  21. charles

Who cares!!! Obama didnt how many states there were. Obama didnt know he grandfather didnt storm the beaches. Biden didnt know we didnt have TV during the great depression. So who cares!!!

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  22. Bulldog

Wow. I strongly suspect we will get no details in the debate from Palin. All of her answers will be very generic and she will just do a bunch of bashing. While I'm sure the Obama haters will love Palin bashing her opponent, bashing will do absolutely nothing to help this country if she is allowed in the White House. We have enough problems already, with Palin I'm afraid we will have even more.

October 1, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  23. JImmy in California

I do not know many cases but I can name Brown vs. Board of Education. Maybe she should have been asked what kind of an animal was Mickey Mouse or what is the best way to dress a moose. I feel for her but I feel anger for Senator McCain for placing this woman in this position. I can understand how she would jump at the chance to become the first female to be the Vice President of the USA but McCain knew what she was going to go through before he ever named her so my anger is towards this man who claims "COUNTRY FIRST".

October 1, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  24. Tracey

Has anyone thought of whether Palin could cheat with an earpiece with which she's being fed the answers???? Do they check the candidates before the debate begins for any devices that could be used to cheat?

October 1, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. concerned voter

What could palin and Putin possibly talk about? Oh I know –

Toboggins and Walrus blubber!

October 1, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |