October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Ron was a REP now a DEM

Just a cheerleader with no game.

Sad McCain is stupid enought to think Americans want to be burdened with her in charge of our nation

October 1, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  2. chippa

The liberal media or consevative media are not answering these soft questions. It is not a crime to admit you do not know the answer if you do not. What's not ok is to try to bluff the american public. We knew nothing of this candidate. Seems like Sen. McCain gamble is blowing up in his face!!

October 1, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. SARAH POLLS IN ALASKA DECLINE FROM 82 TO 68!

Ouch!

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. nyobamacan

Could it be any more obvious which VP candidate is more educated and informed. Sarah can't name a newspaper she reads and now is caught being clueless about anything in the history of the Supreme Court!? This woman is a genius about one thing, saying something while saying nothing at all!

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Andrew

This may be one of many reasons why Obama is starting to pull away from McCain. Obviously, Sarah Palin is extremely disqualified and McCain and his advisers knew it, but they think they can get her into real politics. I doubt this will happen. It is quite shameful of what McCain, Palin, and most of the Republican Party did to this country. If we vote for McCain and Palin, it will seal our faith and the country could be in grave danger.

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. I want the Obama's at 1600 Pennsylvannia Avenue

I have hard time believing that ANY DEMOCRAT would vote for McCain/Palin unless you're racist! If that's true, the DEMOCRATIC PARTY doesn't want you! Save us all and find another party!

This white woman from rural Montana supports Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. Blue

Palin is the best thing to ever happen to the Obama/Biden picture...

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  8. Tom

C'MON GIVE HER A BREAK.

GIVE PALIN A BREAK!!!

If we had just given her a few more minutes, I am CERTAIN she could have AT LEASE named Diana Ross.

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  9. dems are screwed

Obama thought there were 58 states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares??????

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. will ny

How about "exxon vs. brown" ?? the one she came out against because Exxon had the settlement cut... that case was ABOUT Alaska... she should have known that one at least.

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Sherry M

If Obama wins the Election we are all going to live in Hell on Earth. Everyone has a right to their opinion. There are leaders and followers in this world and there seems to be a lot of followers. Do your research-extensive research to obtain the facts. Too many people are relying on the media and someone else's opinion to create their own. If you dont have a mind of your own-DONT VOTE!

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. Rob from Denver

Joe Biden has done over 100 interviews since becoming Barack Obama's running mate. If you include the two interviews Palin has done on conservative talk radio, she's had a total of five. Let's suppose, just for a second, that Biden has made gaffes in 20 interviews, while Palin has gaffed up just 2 (Gibson and Couric).

That's still only a 20% "gaffe rating" for Biden, versus a 40% gaffe rating for Palin.

So for those of you who think that Joe Biden is much less informed than Palin, maybe he's made more mistakes just because he's done twenty times the number of interviews! By percentage, Palin is still the gaffe queen.

October 1, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. mj

Ok, maybe she can't name one of the top of her head (though I think she should name at least one), I'm more amazed on how she tried to dance around not knowing. I would have more respect for her if she would just admit it to begin with!!!

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  14. Thomas in MT

Making statements about Mrs. Palin's character are out of line. To call her names like moron only serves to inflame her supporters. One does not become elected to be a Governor nor picked as a VP candidate by being a moron. That said, her lack of knowledge of Supreme Court rulings is troubling, as is her lack of knowledge of foreign policy, economics, social welfare, and domestic policy, etc. I am probably as qualified as she to be the VP pick. I would be honored to be asked, but the difference is, I know my limitations, and I know that there are others who are consummately more qualified than I and would graciously decline. That is what Sarah should have done.

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Country First

I wish I could debate most of the idiots on this blog site.

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  16. bubble gum and lolly pops

Didn't you hear? The VP debate has been moved to comedy central!!! The comedian is Palin, she will definitely make us laugh.

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  17. phil s.

to quote this other guy: "if palin's ever elected, I'm out of this planet"

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  18. Gerald S. Ray

I have read a number of the comments against Gov. Palin. First, before you put your comments in writing on the internet, learn how to spell and construct proper sentences. It's kind of ironic that some of you call her unqualified. Washington is full of "qualified" people, and how has that worked for you? Kind of brings the names Curly, Mo and Larry to your mind doesn't it? Then, of course, the dyed-in- the-wool Obama media is having a ball with their 'trip Sarah up' game. I wonder if they even suspect how juvenile they appear. She probably has more common sense and interest in our country than the whole Washington mob combined, and we will probably all rue the day that McCain or Obama becomes president.

October 1, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Mack

C'mon CNN...whats up with your site...I have posted several times and my post disappear...guess not pro-Obama enough..Palin is okay. She is real and we need some real people in DC. Also, why does CNN only report when Obama takes a lead in the national polls, and not when he is declining, as he has done for the past few days. Instead, you post articles that still make it look like Obama is pulling ahead when the truth is, he is losing ground.

October 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  20. Low

Greg – Atlanta , You are too funny! When I read your blog, I laughed soo hard. I ran to get my daughter to show her, She fell on the floor laughing (Bullwinkle) Ha! Ha!! tooo funny!

October 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. J Miller

This woman has accomplished the impossible She actually makes Bush look smart!

October 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. McGimmick's gimmick FAILED!

My 5 years old just pointed to the TV when Palin was on and said: "Mommy, is she a comedy actor?"

I said no baby, she's running for Vice President of the United States with John McCain.

Then she said: "That old guy? Mommy don't vote for them, they seem stupid"

October 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Josh

Obama is friends with domestic terrorists, McCain isn't. Looks like this is an easy decision. Obama has no respect for private property, McCain does. Easy decision. Obama is bussing in homeless drunks and addicts to vote in Ohio, McCain isn't.

Yup i know who i want as President.

October 1, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. d-man

S (arah)................ T...............O................P (alin)!!!! (notice the capital letters).

October 1, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  25. nyobamacan

Fellow Republicans,

Run, Run to Barack Obama – he will restore integrity and intelligence to our government once more. You don't want to be responsible for electing Sarah Palin VP and potentially, god forbid, President. The Republican party needs a time out so that it can find its soul again.

October 1, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |