October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. mary

sarah palin is the bridge to nowhere, and john mccain is definitely the road to nowhere.!!

October 1, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. republican for obama

This just furthers my position. I have been a Republican all my life, but with the pick of Sarah Palin as VP...I have to vote for Mr. Obama in this election. I don't think the media is being unfair to her, I just think she isn't prepared. Even I can admit when the Republican ticket isn't as strong as it has been in the past, and vote accordingly. I urge fellow Republicans to do the same...it's not shameful; I actually feel very proud of myself that I can look further than my political affiliation and do something good for my country!

October 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. Kris

To all of you who blame John McCain....Newsflash..Sarah Palin didn't have to accept.
    She isn't qualified and she know's it, but she accepted anyway and now the Republican Party is paying for it.

October 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  4. Maritza

Not many interviews where Obama has to give examples of regulatory history, or for that matter complex specifics on any one issue, the media left ask surface questions, they do not ask for detailed examples of national security, foreign policy, and so on , had Obama been interviewed by over paid Coric, the questions would have been far left complex, far left casual, far left irrelevent, and just plain far left stupid.

Maritza

October 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Ohh! Please

How interesting - people here calling her moron or unqualified for not being able to name a landmark case, but when Obama stated :"Over the last fifteen months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states, I think — one left to go..."–THAT'S WHEN YOU REALIZED HOW BRILLIANT HE WAS...

October 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. Karen

She is an empty-headed fake and a killer of beautiful, innocent, helpless animals.

Does anyone know her GPA in high school and college??

October 1, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. Tyron Brown

To those who say Biden has also provided lots of mistakes – he's also given about 100 more interviews. Do something like a "gaffe per minute" analysis and compare all four candidates. There's no question Palin leads it by far. McCain should have let the press interview her from the start – she wouldn't be so nervous, she'd have a handle on how to do it, and a few mistakes wouldn't be that big of news – just like it's not when McCain, Obama, or Biden make silly mistakes. The only reason McCain and Co. didn't let her talk with the press from the start is that they knew it wouldn't make much a difference. She might be great for Alaska, but that doesn't mean she'll be any good for the country as VP or possibly president.

October 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. ALLAN USA

You Obama lovers, no matter what McCain or Palin do or say you going to hate.You are blind and don't see that Obama is just bla bla bla. Tell me one!!!! thing Obama did good or his judgment.O YEEE ,REZKO and other Ghicago "BUDDY'.

October 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. Let the truth be known

The media shouldn't be criticized for exposing the truth; Sarah Palin is unprepared and ill suited to be on a presidential ticket. The MSM should be praised for making the public aware of the deficits of a candidate.

October 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Manno

I think she banned the law and history books from the library...thats why she can't recall any historical landmark cases. What a clown this woman is, I mean as an Obama supporter I love it but my doesn't she say so much about "The Maverick" and his judgement (lack thereof)? As governor of a sleepy little state one-fifth the size of Chicago, by all means be clueless...but I think her eyes were much hungrier than her stomach when she accepted the nomination. What a joke...

October 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  11. writer mom

Hello???
    Jeffrey, you said: "it's just another proof that Palin has not spent any significant part of her life concerning herself with issues outside of her own narrow scope of government."

So what? When Biden was asked the same question, he named a court case based on legislation he had written…he didn't go outside his "own narrow scope of government," either!

Give Palin a break! !

October 1, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  12. NoMcSame

Failin Palin for VP, NO WAY. More on this moron tomorrow.

October 1, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  13. Rick, Tx

Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 1, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  14. Lattay00

I'm an Obama supporter and I feel very sorry for Palin. I have no doubt she is a gifted Governor, but McCain only chose her because he wanted to get more women voters and he knew it would be the only way to win against an African-American nominee. If he chose Bobby Jindal, then Obama might've been in trouble because he could also get young voters and he has more political knowledge. McCain is only using Palin and it is not fair to her and if they lose, her political career will be tarnished.

October 1, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  15. Merry

Have you ever heard someone who could talk and talk and talk and still not make any sense!

October 1, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  16. Adrew

This just shows (yet again) that she knows very little and is obviously not an intellectually curious person. It is important that our president and vice president be thoughtful and intelligent people. Why does America keep selling itself short by voting for morons? McCain did himself and his country a disservice by choosing this idiot.

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  17. Objective journalism??

Are we gonna talk about Biden's positions are any issues? Your slanted so called "journalism" is a joke. Katie Couric is a pawn in the liberal media circus. You should be ashamed.

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  18. Palin for President

Palin is the new Hillary. Hillary is the new lipstick pig. Go home Bill, Go home Hillary we don't need you to beat Nobama.

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  19. JKauf

Enough already. Seems you guys like selective 20 questions. Where is the uproar over Obama's ACORN connections. Notice how he was conspicuously absent from the rescue bill. Where is Joe Biden's articles?

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  20. judy

Gee, this woman is SCARY...and she could be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.
    McCain made a bad judgement picking her.

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  21. Doug

To Christine...The liberal media elite chooses to attack people who aren't just like them ( watch or listen to Lou Dobbs)...He has some interesting insights into the media elite and Communist China for that matter. My guess is that Palin will exceed all expectations of her tomorrow night!!

October 1, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. Mike Kaplan

OK, people. This woman is a not even close to being qualified. I'm not saying she's a total idiot.....but I will say that anyone who still thinks she should be vice president is a total idiot. Idiots, you know who you are....

October 1, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  23. Aric

Doug the media doesn't need to "Attempt" To corner the Governor she is very much capable on doing it herself from what we have seen, I still don't see how anyone has any grounds to support her anyways at first everyone was saying look Obama lacks experience well this shut everyone up!

October 1, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  24. Andres in florida

A lot of people on here are making fun of Palin. I am not. I served 4 years in the military. I did so because I wanted uphold and protect the constitution and to protect the president of the USA. This lady has humiliated this country and the most prestigious office in the world. This lady is fantastically ridiculous.

October 1, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  25. SpeedyNYC

To answer those who say that other people cannot name a Supreme Court cases they disagree, I say that not everyone is running for Vice President. Nor do we vote for just anyone for Vice President. So what's your point exactly? Would you vote for your drinking buddy or your local PTA president? She is not supposed to be just anyone. She is supposed to be able to be an extremely intelligent individual who has the potential to lead this great county of ours. Need I point at the last eight years as proof of why we do not want idiots in the White House? Please vote with your brains and vote for the Obama/Biden ticket.

October 1, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |