October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. What a complete moron

Palin has trouble naming anything other than 'My Little Pony' and other commensurate literature. She needs to stay in Alaska with the other 'hockey moms'... the ones who are probably helping her to pronounce multi-syllabic words.

October 1, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. dl

I am just wondering how the media is trying to railroad Sarah? I think Couric has asked very simple questions. I don't think any one is really out to "get her" She is doing fine on her own...Maybe you all think this becasue they are reporting it? She is actually saying it no one else.
    John McCain lost my vote (was not sure which I would vote for at the time) the day he picked her. I am very offended that he sought the womans vote in this fashion. It is pathetic, you would think he would know that there is more to "us" than that! Who is running his campaign? Well never mind I do not care anymore.

October 1, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. Morgan

It is one thing for someone to not realize when TV was not yet invented...especially during one of the most widely covered events in the history of our country. It is another thing for someone to say they have foreign policy experience because you can see Russia from some places in Alaska and Alaska is right by Canada. There are a number of states that neighbor Canada and Mexico...does that mean the citizens and politicians in those states have foreign policy experience?

I fear for this country because people are not realizing that all of the wrongs will not be righted within the next four years.

October 1, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. SARAH PALIN IS THE OCTOBER SURPRISE - CLUELESS!

THANK GOD OCTOBER SURPRISE – SARAH PAIN-LIN – CAME EARLY!!!!!!!!

NOW LET THE FREE-FALL OF THE McSAME CAMPAIGN BEGIN........................................

October 1, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  5. Abe

KATIE, KATIE, KATIE. WHY DID YOU ASK THE GOVERNOR SUCH A GOTCHA QUESTION?

WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK HER QUESTION LIKE WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE COUNTRY WHICH YOU ARE A GOVERNOR THAT BORDERS U.S.A?
    IM SURE SHE WOULD HAVE SAID RUSSIA BECAUSE SHE CAN SEE IT FROM HER HOUSE.

October 1, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Homer Simpson

Honestly people, who caaaares if she can't name a single Supreme Court case! I mean really, it's not like she'll be leader of the free world....Oh waaaait a minute, doh!!!

October 1, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  7. Heather T.

I think her interviewing skills lack something....Maybe it could be facts and substance!!! She is like a little puppet the Republican party has put on strings, and I really feel for her, honest! I just hope for her sake, that she doesn't completely fall apart on stage during tomorrow nights VP debate with Sen. Biden.

October 1, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Newly Independant

I agree with a previous comment here... I actually look forward to hearing about Palin's gaffe's on a daily basis. Perhaps Sarah is in cohorts with the SNL team or even John Stewart for material.

Not good for McCain and it's pretty much over for him now so Palin might as well stick it out and do her best to learn from the experience.

October 1, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. Palin for President

Palin will win. McCain does not need Clinton's help to win this election.

Palin 2012

October 1, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  10. Kat

I'm afraid that the republicans have unfortunately made Sarah Palin their poster child for how to avoid the real issues and how to give answers that are not really answers. It looks to be the tact of spewing ill thought out rhetoric and baseless ideological attacks against their opponent to deflect from the reality that they either have no clue or just don't care about what really matters. I can only hope that, in November, the American people will put a muzzle on this affront to our intelligence.

October 1, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. Jimi

It is pathetic that some still scream "liberal media" – all Couric did was ask her some simple questions. What magazines or newspapers do you read. Now that is a real stumper..hmm. Liberal, liberal, liberal – I am growing so tired of that whining defense. Maybe Sarah P will do well on Thursday – who knows? But up to now she has shown herself as a terrible & irresponsible choice by McCain. He brought her into this – that guy is not qualified to be president.

An intelligent, forward thinking, progressive indivudal would be such a nice description to have for our presdient. Please not another lying cowboy with no impulse control. I don't know if Obama can do it – but he is the best hope we have.

I want to be proud of the decisions and things my country does again – I work for an international company and so many people find our current administration and its policies either scarey or laughable.

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  12. dan in Colo

I have this terrible affliction where I feel people's humiliation vicariously.
    I can't watch her without looking through my clenched fingers.

I've been through tough technical interviews for jobs I was wholly unqualified for – but not in front of millions of people.

Sarah, this is going to ruin you! Quit now while you can still legitimately run for local office.

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  13. Necole

In my opinion, her candidacy shows many things. For one it shows the selfish, egotistical character of both Palin and McCain. He chose her to give him an appeal to the conservative Democrats, conservative Republicans and the people most likely to vote for Hillary Clinton--at OUR cost. "Country First"? I beg to differ; it's OBVIOUS that his run for the presidency is about John McCain first. He's desperate because he knows this is his last chance. Forget the fact that her selection is OBVIOUSLY not in the best interests of the country---ANYTHING to win. Even if it means putting the country that he fought for and loves SO MUCH at stake. Secondly, Governor Palin KNOWS that she's not vice presidential OR presidential material; but instead accepted the offer because of her own selfish, egotistical motives and is OBVIOUSLY willing to sacrifice her country and more importantly her own family just to win!! Do we want someone of that character sitting in the "Big Chair" or next to it for that matter making decisions for our country. Desperate people are dangerous; but desperate AND selfish...?

In view of the fact that SHE came out of her ring corner referring to herself as a "pit bull", made VERY condescending remarks about Senator Obama (even to the point of mocking) and attempting to present herself as having the resolve to defend this country "no matter what it takes; we CANNOT blink...", I hope after Biden crushes her on tomorrow evening that she doesn't attempt to fall back on "Biden was too harsh with me; I'm female". Let's see if this "pit bull" has some bite.

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  14. reba

Poor thing! Poor thing! AND I am sure that she misses her family on top of it all. What a shame. She needs to go home and be Mom, right from the start no mother in her right mind would leave a 4 month old. Not one that I know. I don't care what other opportunity presented itself. AND for all the advances that Hillary made, they are all lost now and probably we won't have another womean nominated for diddly squat for years. Wonderful, just wonderful. Thanks a lot John and Sarah

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. mark

After she loses the election I see a long career for her on the comedy channel. Maybe her own political show like Colbert. She's hillarious!

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  16. nelson

omg ..... again you just can't fix stupid.. sorry and pathetic
    is the best description I can think of... just think 5 15/16's bottles
    short of a six pack

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  17. Robbin Ramseur

To Sexium at its worse,
    You said

"How come no one asks Obama to explain derivatives or CDO's or to give us the details of Marbury vs. Madison, etc:?

Why does he get to skate and she gets quizzed to death? Some day
    women will stop putting up with this but I guess not yet."

You sound so rediculus. No one has asked Palin how to explain derivatives or CDO's, in fact Couric asked Palin the same exact questions she asked Biden. I'm sorry, I am a woman and I admit that some woman are just stupid, just like some men are, and it just so happens that Palin, when it comes to national security, social issues, and economics, is just plain dumb. She is out of her league.

October 1, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. NotFair

My friends like to make comments when watching some games. They sound like they are the best players in the world, and the players in the fields are all dumb. But the truth is, none of my friends are good at the games.
    I do not think Palin is as bad as what news says. They pick up some good questions. I am not saying the questions are not fair. I just do not think the Media has been fair to her. They tend to be more forgiving when Biden making mistakes, or being ignorant.

October 1, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  19. greta

unbelievable. in june she disagreed with the exxon/valdez ruling.

October 1, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. Jeremy-Columbus, OH

This woman is an embarrasment to everyone in this country. If she becomes VP and god forbid President lord help us all.

October 1, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Nina

her best response would ave been " There are no other cases I dont agree with" . Rather than all that babbling.

October 1, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  22. Steven Skinner

To "Sexism at its Worst". Obama is a constitutional lawyer. I bet he can name 500 cases. That is the wrong question to answer as we all know he is a smart person. The question to answer is whether he has the right temperament and decision-making capacity to be Commander-In-Chief. We have to ask the same question of Senator McCain (complete disclosure - I am a US Naval Academy graduate). Do I know who I am voting for? No. But I won't base it on whether someone can answer a question about a Supreme Court case (or for that matter of Senator Biden or Governor Palin can). I will be examining how they think logically, their process for coming to a decision and how they can express it. We will need them to express the US point of view in front of heads of state...and that will be FAR MORE IMPORTANT than whether they can recite a Supreme Court case. That being said, Governor Palin needs to step up her game against some of the criteria I stated above or Senator McCain will have a challenge convincing America she can stand in for him. Sorry, but those are the facts

October 1, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. Theogracias

Who is more inept? McCain for picking this absolute conn artist? Or Palin for knowing she is a fraud but being too big an idiot to know the national stage would expose her as nothing but a sleazy conn artist?

October 1, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  24. Linda in AK

Bumper sticker seen in Anchorage Alaska:

McCain ‘08
    Palin ‘09

If that doesn’t scare you nothing will!

October 1, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  25. Ali A. Rizvi

There's nothing wrong with Sarah Palin. She's a regular Joe-six-pack American as she said on Hugh Hewitt's show.

The serious problem is with McCain, who – in his first real executive decision of picking a running mate – thought she could be the best vice president, who, in the one in five chance that something happens to him – could potentially be making foreign policy decisions (Russia/Alaska), economic decisions ("I'll get back to ya!"), and appointing Supreme Court judges (this story).

Who I feel sorry for more than Palin herself is the surrogates (and McCain) who have to go out and defend her statements every day.

Good luck, America. Use your heads, not your egos.

October 1, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |