October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. lori in nc

I just watched the disgusting tape of how people in alaska shoot wolves from helicopters dead. then they land and tie their legs to the bottom of the chopper and drag to whereever. palin approves of this animal cruelty. the tape is graphic and this highly known in alaska is this the woman you want to run our country mccain certainly showed poor judgement in choosing palin. she does not know anything about America. wake up america. mccain is way out of touch those poor wolves shot to death

October 1, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  2. sarah1

its only because the media keep editing these interviews to make the woman look bad and you in the media perpetuate the myth in the hopes of getting sen. ummuhhhbama elected. ask me he is the one that sounds like a half wit.

October 1, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  3. Susanna

You know, now I'm really getting angry. How DARE John McCain use the security and safety of our country to play this outrageous game! The reasonable, thoughtful, and good republicans of this country should be calling for MCCAIN to step down off the ticket!

October 1, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  4. Leslie Martinez

Nancy Pelosi didnt seem to know that she and Congress were the checks and balances that were supposed to keep that nasty Bushs economic policies from corroding the past 8 years. So go figure on the pols and history test questions. Besides that if his policies were so bad, and Reid and Pelosi have certianing done their share of hate Bush propagandizing, how come we didnt suffer this melt down immediately after 9/11 and for the past 7 years? If you all think the Clinton years were so good, ask your parents and grandparents the difference in their taxes now as under Bill Clinton. This failure to remember past yesterday is going to be the undoing of our nation.

Don't worry about your grandchildren, Obama will have them all in state funded pre school, educated and manipulated in the madrasa manner, and they will all turn out to be the brillant, independent and creative individuals that our universities are turning out of law school. Some people have eyes but cannot see.

October 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  5. Jennifer

You guys are way too hard on Palin. Yes, she's not ready for the job. Its McCain's fault she is in this position now. Palin should run for Senate, rack up some real experience, then make her bid for prez in, say 20 years. Seriously people. I'm for Obama, but I feel really sorry for Palin at this point. When a man says stupid things we kinda laugh it off (think Quayle, think Bush, think Reagan). When a woman does, we want blood.

October 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. Ba"Rock" the Vote

I swear she is Chrissy from Three's Company in a wig.

October 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  7. Lynn Oregon

I share her faith. I live on the West coast. Similarities stop there. Please elect Obama. I fear for us if we didn't.

October 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  8. Mary Enyioko

It has been my statment; nothing is secret on this earth. GOP and John Macain can not keep the inexperience of Gov Sarah secret for ever. More of the secret will be out soon.

October 1, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  9. Mrs_R

It makes a huge difference whether she can NAME more than Roe vs Wade. She was asked only to name others, not to detail them. She should, as a person in government, be aware of a few. In fact, I have no confidence she's aware of the particulars involved in Roe vs Wade and more than likely her stance is "it's not ProLife so I'm against it" and her so-called knowledge of it ends there. This person takes very rigid stances on issues she has little to no knowledge of or experience with. She and McCain are beyond cocky and more than a little arrogant. They are inflexible and blustery. However, the words and actions without forethought are the worst to accept. As an American in today's world, and more importantly, a Mother, that scares the hell out of me.

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  10. Chuck

That does it......get her out of this campaign, McCain. Admit that you exercised bad judment when you chose her and re-choose your buddy from Connecticutt.

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  11. J

Is Sarah's memory that good? Does she remember when Dinosaurs and John McCain roamed the earth together?

Hey, Sarah doesn't care about the Supreme Court, she has her higher level of authority to obey.

And when the old dinosaur takes his leave, who do you think Sarah will listen to?

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  12. NB

Hey keep on going Palin . waiting to hear more tomorrow.
    I wonder what Palin supporters are going to say next . She has got Amnesia, I think that will work.

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  13. Moose on the loose

The last word palin wants to hear is the word "court". She has so many skeletons in her closet. Those skeletons will come in handy this Halloween.

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. Paul DObro

Biden says somehting like 3,000 words every day to the press and has a few mis-steps. Palin says 60 words and 30 of them are showing she is an idiot.

So everyone that wants to quote Biden's missteps here and there, SHUT UP. There is NO COMPARISION here.

October 1, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. Paula

I would love to see an Experienced Intelligent woman in the White House. Putting this one in makes all women look bad (i only got this job because of my anatomy!)
    Unfortunately, Sarah is not up for the job.

October 1, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. Wishlist

if only all of you jerks would just lay off sara pallin. she nose everything she needs to no about the world to bee prezident. i just hope that the rest of you pull your heads out and stop reading into obama's rhetoric.

good riddance

October 1, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. maczula

I rest my case.

As I stated in an ireport post a few weeks ago on Palin, I want a vice president with a law degree, and while we're at it, a president, too.

Obama and Biden bring that legal perspective.

And once they're in let's put Hillary on the Supreme Court.

October 1, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  18. Disappointed republican

Any Senator or Congressman could rattle off several SCOTUS decisions they supported or opposed. This woman should be dropped from the ticket now – I'm afraid it's already too late.

October 1, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. Michael

If I am not mistaken she is not a scum sucking lawyer so why would she recognize specific case citations. But, I bet she knows her values. Eat crap Couric.
    And, then there is Obama. This moron thinks a breathalizer can cure an asthma attack.
    I would bet on the Gov. not the goon.

October 1, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  20. Eric

Who cares if she knows a Supreme Court case. Why doesn't Couric ask better questions. Like what would you like to do as Vice President. That's what is important.

October 1, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  21. mrsb

She is pitiful – reminds me of the poor beauty queen who was kicked out of college my freshman year for cheating on a math test – I felt sorry for her, but she deserved what she got.

When you don't know what you don't know, you can be really dangerous! Go home to your children, Sarah. Teach them to moose hunt. We'll all be better off for it. Shame on the religious right for choosing their ideology over our very well-being. At the risk of sounding like one, I think God's will will be done and Obama will become our next President. McCain's judgement (as evidenced by the Palin choice) is seriously impaired.

October 1, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  22. TheBluePill

"How come no one asks Obama to explain derivatives or CDO's or to give us the details of Marbury vs. Madison, etc:?"

Are you serious? Obama was a law professor at the University of Chicago and the president of the Harvard Law Review. You think he couldn't provide the details of Marbury vs. Madison? Thanks for playing.

October 1, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  23. Hayes

I am a supporter of Obama. I would like to offer a different perspective on Palin than the trashing she gets on this blog. Palin may actually be a solid politician. However, she has been handcuffed by the McCain campaign because I believe they realize she is unprepared and lacks sufficient experience to play the game at this level. I would not be so quick to write her off just yet. Let's face she plays well to the Republican base and is young. I don't agree with policies but I think our views are being shaped by the McCain campaign paronia.

October 1, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  24. David

Listening to Sarah Pallin's latest attempts to answer questions posed by Katie Couric is more than embarasing. Every time she opens her mouth and tries to fudge lack of knowledge indicates that John McCain in his first big decision could not have chosen anyone less qualified. I can think of at least two Republican female senators who are very bright and qualified: Kay Bailey Hutchinson and Olympia Snow. McCain did not put the country first but thought he would save his faltering campaign with this empty pants suit. This shows how desperate he really is to win.

October 1, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. Dems this time

"IN WHAT RESPECT CHIRLEY." WHAT A JOKE?
    OBAMA / BIDEN THE ONLY CHOICE. THE OTHER IS SUICIDE.

October 1, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |