October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Shane from LB

Seriously, the folks at SNL don't even have to write any material this week.

And we haven't even seen the debate yet!

Obama/Biden '08

October 1, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  2. Any fabre

AMEN, AMEN! Can you imagine McCain use of judgement?

October 1, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  3. Mitzie

I find myself laughing, then feeling extremely scared, then feeling sorry for her, then feeling again that McCain, a man I once respected, is an idiot.

October 1, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  4. Los

yup, totally qualified

October 1, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  5. MCCRYPT'S SUPERMAN SUIT SHOWED HIS MANBREASTS AND HIS DEPENDS BULGE LAST WEEK!

YEEOOWWW! Thankfully you saved us the drama antics this week!

YIKES, now I have that visual seared into my retina!!!

October 1, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. paul in FL

Typical babble of a political hack that doesn't have a clue.
    You can see why Republicans love her.

October 1, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  7. J

Doug doug doug, how pathetic Sarah has been in hiding with the exception for a few neo-conservative talkies.

One softball interview with a conservative Coric and Sarah falls on her face! It's no wonder that are hiding her!

October 1, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  8. Adele

Could somebody PLEASE explain to me. Is it that she does not understand the questions that are being ask of her or is it that she has no knowledge on any topics.

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  9. Joanne ...... santee

She is not a moron....She just doesn't know. She shouldn't be in the position that she is in. Mccain clearly did not vet her. And she shouldn't have accepted. These are two adults who made very poor decisions.
    I feel sorry for both of them but not enough to vote for them. That of course would be a very poor decision on my part.

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  10. GJ in Phx

She's going to think about it and get back to Katie on that one, too!!!

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  11. Gene

This lady is hilarious and makes a great comedian

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  12. lee

WOW

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. Lisa

EXXON VALDEZ hello!!! She is dumb and sooo naive.

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. beth

I dont know how much more I can stomach

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  15. Adele

Early voting is taking place in some states. Please go an vote now.

October 1, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. Alex

She is a total moron.

October 1, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. Ben in NM

Clearly when she's talking about "Alaska's air space" she's referring to the space between her ears.

October 1, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. PMSing over Palin

I see a new SNL skit in Palins near future !! LMAO

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. worried

I have to agree with Matt Damon.... I am TERRIFIED that she might hold a national public office. TERRIFIED.

Doug, Doug, Doug. You should move to Alaska my friend.

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. gene

Yep... by the day I feel more and more confident that Palin is intellectually sound, and has a firm grasp of issues and policies... and as she's being coronated with McCain...

Then I woke up from the nightmare.

Good God people... how can anyone take the airhead seriously?

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. georgia

McCain is shameless & obviously feels voters are dumb as him !

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  22. Jonathan

As a buddy of mine said, "I was waiting for her to say Kramer vs. Kramer."

This is just priceless.

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. Gopi

This is THE JOKE OF THE YEAR!!

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. Andy

I always felt the Supreme Court's rulings on the Japanese interments were universally worse than Roe v. Wade....but apparently I was mistaken.

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  25. James Johnson

She is a victim of social promotion.

October 1, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |