October 1st, 2008

Palin has difficulty naming court case she disagrees with

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/01/art.cbs.cnn.jpg caption="Couric interviewed Palin last week."](CNN) - Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin had difficulty naming a specific Supreme Court case she disagreed with besides Roe v. Wade in a long-awaited clip CBS News aired Wednesday night.

The comments, first reported by Politico, came in an interview with CBS News anchor Katie Couric taped last week.

"Well, let's see. There's –of course –in the great history of American rulings there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American," Palin said. "And there are–those issues, again, like Roe v Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know–going through the history of America, there would be others but–"

"Can you think of any?" Couric interjected.

"Well, I could think of–of any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level, maybe I would take issue with," Palin responded. "But you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today."

Palin's comments came in the same interview during which she gave a widely-panned answer on the economic bailout bill and had trouble describing John McCain's record on regulation of the financial industry.

The interview later became the subject of Saturday Night Live's opening sketch last weekend.

Cafferty Blog: Are Palin’s interviews with Couric helping her?

When Couric posed the same question to Joe Biden, the Democratic VP candidate and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he disagreed with a ruling that invalidated a portion of the Violence Against Women Act.

"You know, I’m the guy who wrote the Violence Against Women act. And I said that every woman in America if they are beaten and abused by a man should be able to take that person to court. Meaning you should be able to go to federal court and sue in federal court the man who abused you if you can prove that abuse," Biden said. "But they said no that a woman, there’s no federal jurisdiction and I held, they acknowledged, I held about 1,000 hours of hearings proving that there’s an effect in interstate commerce."

"Women who are abused and beaten and beaten are women who are not able to be in the work force. And the Supreme Court said there is an impact on commerce but this is federalizing a private crime and we’re not going to allow it. I think the Supreme Court was wrong about that decision," he continued.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Ramona

Oh my God! This is just so sad.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. No Hillary = No Obama

Katie Couric's interviewing Sarah Palin amounts to badgering. Katie Couric is disrespectful

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  3. Amy in Mineapolis

Omg....LOL haha
    She sell on comedy central!!

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  4. McCain Supporter

I really do feel sorry for this poor woman. She is in way over her head, and there's nothing she can do about it but sink deeper and deeper.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. GA4OBAMA

more evidence that palin is a joke. even i can name some supreme court cases and i'm not running for anything and i'm not a lawyer. she hasn't thought about anything besides oil in alaska and it shows.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  6. Marty

Are you serious??? I can think of several
    WOW this is getting rediculous

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. No Hillary = No Obama

You go girl! Hold your own.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  8. jm from sc

Palin probably didn't know about Roe v Wade until a few weeks ago.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. mark jones

The media are just fools. I wish Katie would allow me to interview her.

October 1, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. Dave G

Clueless...

October 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  11. Kelly

What did she say? I just read her comment 3 times and I still don't understand it.

October 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  12. Louis

Terrifying, absolutely terrifying.

October 1, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  13. caywen

Katie Couric was being sexist as usual.

October 1, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  14. Sue

This woman is a buffoon!!!! If McCain has any sense, he'll dump her NOW!!! And I am a life-long Republican!

October 1, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. TRUTH

It does not matter sweetie, McCain-Palin wil lose because of george bush economics & war

October 1, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  16. I love Ciphurphace

Palin is ridiculous to the 95th power. You could find more intelligence in a box of rocks. This world is going to seriously crumble if the 'WeSuckAgain' Party takes office again. My twin coppers.

October 1, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. Tracy

I have trouble naming one thing Obama has ever done to benefit me or my family.

Not one!

October 1, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. john

Shocking. What a joke McCain has made of our great political system!!

October 1, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. John Lee

Everyone should just wait for the debate tomorrow night.

As long as there are no microphones, she's not expected to speak, and there is an evening wear competition, she will wipe the floor with Biden.

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  20. Dan in Waukegan

God help us. I think the Canadian's will soon build a border fence to keep us out.

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  21. shineON

I think Sarah Palin is selfish. She is power hungry and should not have accepted the nomination. She puts all of America in grave danger.

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  22. Deb from Minnesota

She obiviously has a problem with memory... tomorrow will be interesting.

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  23. Erica

hey Palin – GOTCHA! What a dope!

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  24. silas

and did anyone say this is going to be our Vice President. Jesus !!!

God Bless America

October 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  25. dc

it wouldnt be 'gotcha journalism' if she could answer a SIMPLE question.

October 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |