October 2nd, 2008

McCain: Obama lead growing because 'life isn’t fair'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/02/art.mccain.points.jpg caption="Sen. McCain said Thursday Barack Obama is leading in the polls because 'life isn't fair'."]
(CNN) - John McCain said jokingly Thursday that Barack Obama’s poll numbers are rising as the economy seems to sink "because life isn’t fair.”

“He certainly did nothing for the first few days,” McCain told Fox News Thursday. "I suspended my campaign, took our ads down, came back to Washington, met with the House folks and got on the phone, and also had face-to-face meetings.”

New CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation polls of several key battleground states released Wednesday found Obama has made gains across the board – either taking statistically significant leads, or erasing McCain advantages – over the past few weeks. Since the financial crisis began in mid-September, Obama has taken and held a lead over McCain in the national CNN poll of polls.

Watch: Is the bailout a band-aid?

But the Republican nominee said the economic anxiety-fueled poll swing was likely a blip. “Well first of all, you know very well that these are temporary things," he said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. "The focus was on the fiscal crisis we were facing. I understand that. I understand there are going to be ups and downs in campaigns. I'm happy where I am...

“I'm the underdog. I love being the underdog.... We're going to be up late on election night,” he said.

CNN Electoral Map Calculator: You call the race

Running mate Sarah Palin is also facing an unfair disadvantage as she heads into the debate tonight, McCain told Fox. “Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn’t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama. Let’s face it,” he said. “But I have to have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is… Life isn’t fair, as I mentioned earlier in the program.”

PBS journalist Gwen Ifill, the moderator of Thursday’s vice presidential debate, is writing a book about Barack Obama and a new generation of black leaders that is slated to be released in January 2009.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Dave in MN

He loves being where he is in the polls???
    That's good 'cause he's going to be there for a while.

2. Brina

Is he WHINING AGAIN.....McCain grow up, show some backbone and stop complaining all the time.......

3. simpkins

I am sorry Gernee but yeah he did suspend his campaign he pulled all of his ADs and all Obama did was come out with more and a whole minute commercial of crap !! Go back home Obama we don't need ya.
    NOBAMA for 08'

4. carol

Will John McCain for heavens sake change the record......I cancelled my campaign, cancelled my ads and went to Washington.....yes, he went to Washington alright and changed not a darn thing!!!!!!
    We the American people are SO OVER this repeat performance that he insists on telling us constantly.......and another thing we are SO OVER is John McCain!!!!
    I'm afraid John McCain is out of his league here and having Sarah Palin as the back up plan is just about to expire......tonight may be it!

5. Purple Nurple

Dang it kids! I will not tell you again

GET OFF MY LAWN AND DON'T COME BACK....dang nabit!!!!!!

6. Ryan

Is McCain really complaining about how unfair life is? I'm sure he is sitting comfortably during this financial crisis while most Americans are having to make tough sacrifices. Support for Obama has gone up through this process because of McCain's tactics during this time. "Suspending" his campaign was seen by many as a shotty political tactic that did not accomplish much of anything. Also, the economic policies of the Bush Administration are finally catching up with hiim and as a result McCain and the Republican party is suffereing a huge blow.

7. rice, bryan

hey mcbush, do you want some cheese to go with that whine? he still doesn't get it, the economy is a huge concern to us little people. and so far he hasn't hinted at a economic plan. the cost of living is getting out of control, and mcbush still doesn't get how it hurts for us little poeple. whine, whine, whine, boo-hoo, i'm the underdog my eye.

8. Elizabeth - TEXAS

American's must elect a leader. That person is Barack Obama. McCain may have been a Maverick in 2000 but no more.
    McCain sold American's out with his VP pick. He should have vetted her and now he is destroying her life.

A Republican voting for Obama/Biden

9. Stu

McCain is a liar. He didn't suspend anything, except his credibility.
    4 more weeks left for this old fool and his bumbling running mate.

10. Matt

He didn't stop his ads. His website was still asking for donations. His surrogates were still appearing and blabbering everywhere. He did a Couric interview and snubber Letterman. He spoke at Bill Clinton's CGI event in NYC. THEN he went to DC and arrived at approx. the same time as Obama for the White House meeting at which HE SAID NOTHING. Mr. Magoo must be on acid.

11. Kurt (Lynnwood, WA)

I see new banners and bumper stickers
    LIFE IS UNFAIR

Sounds very Presidential to me!

12. wakeupamerica

McCain – please! You're taking a page from Palin – how pathetic is this commentary. Everything you say is either whining or lying Pinocchio. The Straight Talk Express is a farce. We'll run a fair campaign, I'll give you someone worthy as VP.... All lies. Pinochio!!!!!!!!!! You've proven to America that you are not Presidential. You need to go somewhere and sit down and shut up! And, you Senator McCain are no underdog. Underdog was a fine hero and a good cartoon. You're just the cartoon.

13. Chuck

I wonder if any questions about "faith" will come up? Will Sarah answer questions about Pastor Thomas Muthee?

14. Kenneth from Houston

This is a new low even for McCain. I can't believe he's crying like a baby. He chose this woman,not America. The more she opens her trap,the more votes Obama receives. Thanks Johnny.

15. ran

No life isn't fair because if it was Brush never would have become POTUS in 2000 and we the people and this country would not be in the mess we are in because of that court decision.

People vote Obama/Biden and only Democrats this time and in such # that no court will ever get the chance to do this to us again.

16. Abraham Simpson

Man yells at cloud!

17. Kathy from MD

Boo Frickin who! you are running a bad campaign John – let's face the facts!

18. Bob Indianapolis IN

Oh, and please stop censoring all my posts on each ticker point, starting with the Biden bit...

19. Independent..found what I was looking for

Wow what a whiner. He/his campaign knew long ago who the moderator for this debate was. Perhaps they are using this so people now will look for this very profession journalist to "sabatoge" Sarah Palin.
    John McCain thought that flying off to Washington would show people what a leader he was. What it showed people is he is very quick to react and not think things through, he rushed into thing way too fast without having all the facts. he was on his cell phone the majority of the time he was there just like Obama did. John McCain needs to quit whining....In 2000 I thought he was the man I would like to see as President....now I would not want him or Sarah Palin running our Country.

20. voter

awe, poor baby. Stop complaining. McCain is losing because he has no plan for the country. He wants to continue Bush's policies. That makes life unfair that we had to deal with a bad economy and two wars thanks to Bush. People are tired of this. We want change and McCain is not the one to provide it. Good riddens.

21. Sam Benegal

McClueless said: “I'm the underdog. I love being the underdog…. We're going to be up late on election night,”

No Sir, you are a real DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic Fool...........

22. James

This Old man is so out of touch with "REAL" people.

Those of us that don't have 6,7,8,9,20, homes LIKE MCCain, ARE having problems in this world...we are living paycheck to paycheck...

I am voting for the man with ONE House and ONE CAR! Oh and ONE wife only!

23. chris

I heard she hasn't even written the chapter on Obama yet. And, I read that the book is about African-American politics and how is has shaped over the years. Certainly, Obama is the highlight of that history. But she isn't endorsing him for president. The book won't even come out until January. And I've heard some arguments that Obama's success is tied to her book sales, but that is preposterous. Obama can lose every state and her book sales will hit the roof along with everything else with his name on it!

Flip Flop..yesterday he just said he had no doubt she would be fair. Today he's backtracking..."life isn't fair...but she'll be fair" By tonight, he slide into "she's on the hook for Obama" which, if she weren't before, she probably is now.

24. People make no sense

The reasoning behind the tighter VP rules? According to The Times, McCain advisers were concerned that letting Palin, a relative rookie when it comes to debating national and international policy, go toe-to-toe with Biden, would leave her at a disadvantage.

The Obama campaign was reportedly not involved in the discussion, with advisors to Biden claiming they were comfortable with whatever rules were put in place. The negotiations were between the Commission on Presidential Debates, a non-partisan organization, and McCain advisors.

25. Anonymous