October 2nd, 2008

McCain: Obama lead growing because 'life isn’t fair'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/02/art.mccain.points.jpg caption="Sen. McCain said Thursday Barack Obama is leading in the polls because 'life isn't fair'."]
(CNN) - John McCain said jokingly Thursday that Barack Obama’s poll numbers are rising as the economy seems to sink "because life isn’t fair.”

“He certainly did nothing for the first few days,” McCain told Fox News Thursday. "I suspended my campaign, took our ads down, came back to Washington, met with the House folks and got on the phone, and also had face-to-face meetings.”

New CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation polls of several key battleground states released Wednesday found Obama has made gains across the board – either taking statistically significant leads, or erasing McCain advantages – over the past few weeks. Since the financial crisis began in mid-September, Obama has taken and held a lead over McCain in the national CNN poll of polls.

Watch: Is the bailout a band-aid?

But the Republican nominee said the economic anxiety-fueled poll swing was likely a blip. “Well first of all, you know very well that these are temporary things," he said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. "The focus was on the fiscal crisis we were facing. I understand that. I understand there are going to be ups and downs in campaigns. I'm happy where I am...

“I'm the underdog. I love being the underdog.... We're going to be up late on election night,” he said.

CNN Electoral Map Calculator: You call the race

Running mate Sarah Palin is also facing an unfair disadvantage as she heads into the debate tonight, McCain told Fox. “Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn’t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama. Let’s face it,” he said. “But I have to have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is… Life isn’t fair, as I mentioned earlier in the program.”

PBS journalist Gwen Ifill, the moderator of Thursday’s vice presidential debate, is writing a book about Barack Obama and a new generation of black leaders that is slated to be released in January 2009.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. JD in NC

No, the difference is that McCain is focusing on personalities and melodrama, while Obama is focusing on issues.

Got to their websites. McCain policies are full of "shoulds" and little detail about how he will accomplish things other than "tax cut" and "deregulate".

At least Obama has a plan early of discussion.

I miss the McCain from 2000.

October 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  2. Texas YellowDog

THAT'S his defense for his lousy poll numbers?!? Life isn't FAIR?!? What a whiner. Every day he seems to finds a new way to discredit himself. How un-presidential can you get?

October 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. Sheryl

You know I'm not a violent person but I could really SLAP the dog boop out of HANNITY, is anyonce else with me on that ?

I'd like to slap McCain for being a liar also but I was tought to respect the Elderly as sometimes they just can't help themselves.

October 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. Windy1

McCain is a whiner, but this predicament is largely his fault and he needs to own up to it – the erractic behavior, the inconsistent message, picking Palin without vetting her – Americans are frightened at the prospect of electing someone so UN-presidential

October 2, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. Unshrub

We could also say that life wasn't fair when Obama was tied with McCain. Or we could say that life was unfair because others involved in the Keating 5 went to prison and McCain didn't. We could also say that it is unfair that 10% of the voters still incorrectly think Obama is Muslim. We could also claim that it is unfair that McCain is doing as well as he is in spite of the way he has screwed up the last three weeks. Get over it and quit whining all of the time. I listened to McCain speak yesterday for 20 minutes and half of that time he was complaining about Obama. I also listed to Obama speak for 20 minutes and Obama talked about details how in he was going to cut waste in government spending. There is a big difference, and maybe McCain being behind is the only thing that is fair.

6. Common sense

McCain's hopping a ride on the WAAAAAAMBULANCE!!! lol I love it!

7. john ippolito

mcbush is a whiner and so are all the repubs. acting like a bunch of losers!

8. Michele, Pittsburgh, PA

Where is the "take personal responsibility" that the rest of us are told by the Republicans when we get bad breaks? McCain made his choices this campaign and is paying the price.

9. reggie

he is right life is not fair. it is not fair that george bush destrode our country. its time to take our country back. OBAMA/BIDEN

10. bob in L.A.

He did none of that! I live in California and his ads ran here , in a state he won't win anyway! They reportedly ran in other staes as well.
    Stop you're whining John and go clean up the mess your choice for VP is making for you. America's caught on.
    Will she "win" tonight? Yep- she has nowhere to go but up. The woman is a joke and has turned you into one along with her.
    People can't pick on what's not there. SNL has limited spot on McCain and Biden, becuase there isn't much to play from. Obama Hillary and Sarah give plenty of material to work from- just like GWB

11. Vic

One thing you can bet on. McCain would have never sat for 20 years listening to a preacher screaming "Godd-America!"

12. Tony

STOP WHINING JOHNNY.

YOUR ENTIRE CAMPAIGN HAS BEEN ONE BIG "BOO-HOO" SPECTACLE.

LYING, CHEATING, ETC.

MCCAIN USED TO BE CONSIDERED A MAN OF CHARACTER AND AN HONORABLE MAN, EVEN A ROLE MODEL TO SOME.

NOW HE IS LITTLE MORE THAN AN ANGRY, BITTER, WHINY, SELF-ABSORBED OLD MAN WITH OLD IDEAS.

13. rene

MORE LIES, THE MORE THINGS CHAHGE THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME, JOHN MCCAIN DOESNT GET IT, OBMAMA WAS IN TOUCH WITH THE POWERS THAT BE WHEN THIS MESS CAME OUT, AND HIS ADS WEREN'T STOPPED IN COLUMBUS OHIO, I ALREADY CAST MY VOTE, I'M READY FOR THIS ELECTION TO BE OVER, I'M SICK OF MCCAIN AND HIS NITWIT SIDEKICK

14. Barack Obama Is Our 44th president

Face it McCain like a man and stop being childish. Playing the whinning litle 2 year old who can't have his way is unappealing. And you will soon realize that your TV AD targeting Obama f/connection to Rev. Wright, can NEVER work...can NEVER benefit you ! The American people are too intelligent to buy into your nonsense.

No weapon forged against you [ Sen. Barack Obama ] will prevail, and you [ Sen. Barack Obama ] will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their [ Sen. Barack Obama ] vindication from me," declares the LORD. –
    Isaiah 54:17

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time to elect Barack Obama for president. It's the Obama-Biden ticket that's needed at this defining moment in our history because this team is wiser and stronger to meet the challenges this nation faces at home and abroad.

Amen.

15. Alex

again this underdog thing. Look mccain, you spent 3 months destroying obama ... now it is your turn. There is only a month left and it is your turn to be attacked. You used up all of your resources attacking obama before the convention... but you made one big mistake...people have short term memory spam!!

16. Independent

oh i did not read the last part...forget my comment earlier. Apparentlly he made the comment twice. McCain that is pathetic!

17. Greg

Oh my gosh I cannot wait until John McCain slinks back to the Senate for the rest of infinity in November. I am so sick of him he is simply awful. I cannot WAIT!!!!

WHAT A WHINER!!! LIFE'S NOT FAIR WAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! This is no country for OLD MEN!!

18. Donna

No..."life isn't fair" because no one in your campaign was smart enough to use a computer to Google Ifill's name..if they had, they would have known about her book a long time ago!!!!

And she hasn't even asked the first question..for all he knows, she could go soft on Palin because she is a woman...

Tomorrow he'll be crying bias and foul if Biden wipes the floor with Palin tonight!!!

Time for his medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX NEWS..a perfect channel for a whiner!!!!

19. Canadian Observer

McCain did not pull his ads. I saw three of them that day he said he was going to pull them and a couple more over the next two days. I'm here in Canada and it's one thing to lie to us over here, but to lie to the American people that you want to serve is just disrespectful.

20. Puff

The nobamanots had better enjoy their lead while they can because he is going straight into the toliet soon.
    The October surprise is coming and BO and MO will be toast in no time!
    HAHA

21. LS

Oh crap . . this guy is pathetic.

McCain has displayed the most lowest dishonest campaign strategy in History. That's what YOU get McCain for putting Country Last – That's what YOU get for playing Dirty Politics – YOU deserve what YOU Asked For.

McCain seriously needs to retire from politics.

October 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. Curtis

Sen McCain, why do you insist on attempting to deceive the American people?

October 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. NettenAZ

OK, Senator McCain, would you like some cheese to go with that whine???! I can not belive that he's now using "Life isn't fair" why he is not leading in the polls. He should also get his facts straight regarding Gwen's book. It's about a new generation of black leaders and Obama happens to be in the book. It's not just about Obama. I forgot, it doesn't matter if the media has fact checked anything, he will continue with this lie.

Obama/Biden 08

October 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. Republican Woman in PA for Obama

Im really getting sick of all this whining from John McCain and his camp. He seems to blame everyone but himself, his obsession with promoting obvious lies (that he still spouts as "true" even when proven they are lies), and his own poor judgment for why his campaign has gone south. Heck, he even lied in the above interview–he never truly suspended his campaign–his ads were suspended? really? someone must have not gotten the memo, because they were going on strong last Thursday and Friday here in Pennsylvania-lies, lies, lies! Im SICK TO DEATH of it.

Quit your whining, quit your excuses and, more importantly, quit all the friggin' lies, John McCain. You are not a candidate I can believe in. And don't even get me started on your running mate....

Obama/Biden '08–The REAL candidates for change

October 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. jim

i am so sick of all your ads putting down obama instead of letting the public know what you r plans are for the country what a great big turn off

October 2, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |