October 2nd, 2008

McCain: Palin will do 'fine' tonight

CNN

Watch: Sen. John McCain on his campaign suspension, his running mate and the VP debate..

(CNN) - John McCain told CNN Thursday his running mate Sarah Palin will perform well at tonight's vice presidential debate.

"The fact is she'll do fine tonight. She has experience, talent, leadership. She has great inner strength. She has - an ability to lead that's been proven, taken on her own party," he said. "Joe Biden and Barack Obama have never taken on the leaders of their party on any issue. She's stood up for what's right for the people of Alaska. And she will stand up for what's right for America."

The comments come after Palin has faced criticism for her performance during recent interviews with Katie Couric. In the two separate interviews, Palin had trouble defending McCain's record on regulation issues, discussing the economic bailout, defining her foreign policy credentials, naming her preferred sources of news, and naming a Supreme Court case she disagrees with.

Asked if Couric's questions were fair, McCain said he would let the American people decide.

"I know that there have been attacks on Sarah Palin that have been remarkable to me in many ways, but I have total confidence in her. She's very comfortable in her own skin," he said.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Dutch-VA

You think John? I can't wait to hear Joe smear your name like some lipstick.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. MLG

Someone needs to investigate where all of these "attacks" on Sarah Palin are coming from. I have watched both interviews and what I see is seasoned journalists treating her much nicer than they do most candidates.

McCain is manufacturing these "attacks" trying to make her look like a victim because looking like a victim worked for Hillary in the primaries. The difference is that Hillary wasn't trying to play the victim card and would be disgusted if she thought people saw her as one. Palin revels in it and that's why she disgusts most of us strong, independent women.

Palin is a nice lady, but she not ready for the VP job, no matter how you spin it, Mr. McCain.

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. dan

Call : 911-ROMNEY !!!

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Jen, California

I just keep asking myself:

Whom would I rather see in my living room the next four years — postive, upbeat, "love America" Sarah Palin - or angry, negative, "not proud of America" Michelle Obama?

No contest for me!

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. Jerry Ohio

Well McCain why you not doing fine you are maken people mad with these lies of yours,,,,,McCain your judgement is bad,,,,My judgement is for you to give that 13 room mansion to homeless people in arizona
    that what you call good judgement.

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. Sarah Palin

She will do well cos she got the answers from same people that gave you saddle back's answers....Thanks,but no Thanks.

October 2, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. Nick - Arlington, VA

FAIL

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Neecy

I beleive she will do well in the debate as she should since she has been in boot camp since last week. If she doesn't I really think she should step down, practing that long and failing would be horrible.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. elm

McCain's total confidence in Palin displays just how out of touch this old windbag is. Failure as a pilot, full of lies.

Were is John McCain's health records, especially the psychological ones, and where is Sarah Palin's income tax returns?

Enough is Enough!

Just say no to:

More War McCain &
    Taliban Palin

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  10. Smith

Tonight’s debate will do nothing more than cement Obama’s lead in the polls, and make Palin look like even worse (if that’s possible). It should be good for a few laughs at least.

Palin's debate prep: Trying to make her sound intelligent.
    Biden's debate prep: Trying to simplify his answers so they don't overwhelm Palin.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. Dylan

Palin is a pathological liar. She says she reads "ALL" news publications and pretends like she knows Supreme Courts cases when all she knows is Rowe vs Wade.

The reason Kouric makes her stumble so bad is that Palin simply doesn't know anything about the Supreme Court, how to READ, foreign policy or anything else for that matter.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. Felly

Poor VP judgement by the Maverick.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. jaye

How come McCain can never look at Senator Obama? How come he always avoids eye contact? Does he think Senator Obama is "beneath him?"
    Anyway, Palin cramming and learning politics is laughable. She has already proved she's uneducated and inept, and nothing will change that.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. Kenzie from TX

I almost feel sorry for McCain, it has to be extremely painful to watch these interviews.

Honestly, I was absolutely amazed at how ignorant and ridiculous Palin sounded during the Katie Couric interviews. I was already voting for Obama/Biden, and watched the interviews out of curiosity – but really how can ANYONE stand behind this ticket?

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. Jan

Sarah Palin makes Katie Couric look like a bitter, plastic, sarcastic woman. I think Couric's superior attitude will hurt her more than Sarah Palin. Her smiling, pandering sweet questions to Obama and Biden make one realize she is not the feminist she proclaims to be–just another left-wing female catering to liberal men.

October 2, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Hey McCain- Thanks but no thanks

What else can he say- they're both in a ship that's sinking FAST!

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. She thinks the Bush Doctrine is an OBGYN

Wow! Do you really beleive anything that comes out of your own mouth anymore?

The fundamentals of McCain's brain are stong.

Obama 08

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. Paying Attention

I would like to request that Palin be allowed to do more real interviews with shows like "Meet the Press". They should stop sheltering her. We deserve to know who she is.

I would like to remind everyone that Palin received per diem for working at her house, charged rape victums for their rape kits, and gave $150 each to kill wolves and bring front paws back as proof.

She obviously doesn't want to waste taxpayer money, supports womens rights, and loves animals. (NOT !!!!!!)

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. pam Eugene OR

What else would he say. She will do a face plant tonight or just give long non answers where she talks in circles.
    Go Joe! Be respectful while you rip her a new one.

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. JD FROM NEW YORK

NO WAY NO HOW MCCAIN/PALIN...

BY THE WAY PALIN...I READ THE NY TIMES, TIME MAGAZINE.....

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. LAST WEEK MCCRYPT'S SUPERMAN SUIT SHOWED HIS MANBREASTS, HIS DEPENDS PANTYLINE AND HIS CAPE WAS LIMP!

YEEOOWWW!

Thankfully you saved us the drama antics this week!

YIKES, now I have that visual seared into my retina!!!

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Republicans= Me First Country Last

McCain is a small, small man!

Please people. Vote Obama and save us from the McCain/Palin train wreck. All they do is blame other people for their own failures. I'm so tired of this election already.

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Joe, don't forget your medication tonight. i am fearful that you may be up late. You know, you don't like to be away from your $3 million 6,800 sq foot house overnight.

Hopefully you will be able to stay awake tonight.

By the way Joe, FDR wasn't the president in 1929, nor was he on TV in 1929. Now every schoolboy knows that.

So look into the Camera Joe, and say, I may be a US Senator from Delaware, a small state with just about 700,000 people, but I am not smarter than a fifth grader.

October 2, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. KJ

GOP 2008! - Two Bumbling buffoons.

October 2, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  25. Nan

I honestly do believe Palin will do fine tonight. Let me make this clear, the chance of her being anywhere in the vicinity of the White House frightens me, but she is being coached by some of the best and dishonest lobbyists around. She will be well prepared and will talk in circles. She will attack Biden and he has to be careful not to attack her to strong. The best advise for Biden would be to go after McCain and just ignore Palin. The Couric interviews have shown that Palin is totally unaware of what has gone on in this country and others. The debates she will be well prepared and go on the attack. Hopefully voters will see that she is has been well trained and anything she says does not reflect her personal knowledge or ideas. She is just repeating what she has been taught at debate bootcamp.

October 2, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |