October 2nd, 2008

McCain: Palin will do 'fine' tonight

CNN

Watch: Sen. John McCain on his campaign suspension, his running mate and the VP debate..

(CNN) - John McCain told CNN Thursday his running mate Sarah Palin will perform well at tonight's vice presidential debate.

"The fact is she'll do fine tonight. She has experience, talent, leadership. She has great inner strength. She has - an ability to lead that's been proven, taken on her own party," he said. "Joe Biden and Barack Obama have never taken on the leaders of their party on any issue. She's stood up for what's right for the people of Alaska. And she will stand up for what's right for America."

The comments come after Palin has faced criticism for her performance during recent interviews with Katie Couric. In the two separate interviews, Palin had trouble defending McCain's record on regulation issues, discussing the economic bailout, defining her foreign policy credentials, naming her preferred sources of news, and naming a Supreme Court case she disagrees with.

Asked if Couric's questions were fair, McCain said he would let the American people decide.

"I know that there have been attacks on Sarah Palin that have been remarkable to me in many ways, but I have total confidence in her. She's very comfortable in her own skin," he said.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Lucky

McCain said ""The fact is she'll do fine tonight. ..." How can it be a fact if it has not happened yet!

October 2, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. DITCH SARAH, WE WANT DOLLY!

McCrypt, has been seen publicly reviewing Sarah’s “resume” visually.

Perhaps, McCrypt’s Phoenix is rising?

So, since McCrypt chose Sarah for her “attributes” , we Americans deserve a more qualified VP that fits these standards.

DOLLY! DOLLY! DOLLY PARTON!

Now that is what I call a qualified woman, because her “BIG HAIR“ puts her closer to God than Palin!

What did YOU think I was talking about?

October 2, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. maxine

JUST AN OBSERVATION, Sarah Palin does well when she has cue cards and teleprompter. did anyone notice that the footage of her past debates in Alaska she used Cue Cards?

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  4. creighton

We will see John. Are you going to be by her side as you were with the 2nd Couric interview? My guess is you will be sweating bullets when the events start this evening.
    I'm hoping she is hoisted by her own petard and takes you with her.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Alison B

Why does he have to reiterate about her experience... she has proven herself already and people have already made judgement. We all know that she has been on a crash course for debating and that most that she will say tonight is what she learnt at debate camp over the last four days.

With that being said does he really feel that people are so niave that they will change their minds based on a debate that she has been coached on and the thoughts are truly not hers.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Chris

I predict Palin is gonna cry tonight.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. S.M

McCain claims that Palin is a great debater. Well, she may be a good speaker but this is as far as it goes. For the times that I've listened to her speak, Palin doesn' have any substance in her speeches. You can pump an individual full of facts but there comes a time when that person will have to fly and think on their own. She couldn't even name one issue beyond Roe v Wade, when asked the questioned was posed to her by Katie Couric. Any American who is familiar with issues here in our country could name more than one and they aren't even running for VP. If this had been Biden the Republican party would have a field day poking fun at him.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. AB

McCain – "She's stood up for what's right for the people of Alaska."

Huh?

How can that be if she's trying to hide the truth of Troopergate? If someone is forthright and innocent – wouldn't they welcome the investigation?

Palin is a PRETENDER – she is fake and untrustworthy.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. JT

"What news publications do you read to stay informed?"

"Name one supreme court ruling you disagree with."

Really? Unfair? Wouldn't you like your VP to be able to answer those? I mean, why not? Seem like simple enough questions.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  10. Kiki in DC

Yeah McSame, and I am going to stand up for what is right for America. I am going to vote for Obama/Biden for president on Nov. 4th!!!!!

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  11. America will be free again

SOUND TO ME LIKE THE DEBATES AND THE QUESTIONS ARE ALREADY BEEN TAKEN CARE OF.....JUST LIKE SADDLE BACK CHURCH. THIS MAN WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET THE QUESTIONS AND LOAD THE ANSWERS TO THE MICRO CHIPS OF HIS PUPPET...LOL

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. Tina

He feels confident? Yeah right. Then why did daddy have to sit with his little girl during the last Couric interview. That was the most pathetic and sexist thing I've ever seen. I was insulted as a woman. He cannot have it both ways. Either she is a barracuda or she isn’t. I’m sorry but he cannot sit with her one the world stage, so to pull a stunt like that is unacceptable.

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  13. Jude

And Joe's comment about FDR making his announcement on TV in 1929 was correct?

October 2, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  14. Beverly, NYC

Tonight she will go from pitbull to Biden's chew toy. Stick with your mistake Senator because she is working out so well, for Obama. I hope she get Troopergate resolved while you're footing the legal bills. We all know she will be dropped like a hot rock come November 5th.

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  15. Robert Deming

I hope she cries when she can't answer "How far is it to Russia"?

I think most of us are comfortable in out own skin. But a good politician has to live in the skin of others to understand them. Obama has!

McPalin is a joke and those who vote for her are as silly as she is.

Bimbo Bambie Killer!

This person is a WWIII disaster. The world laughed when bush was elected. They will cry if this team of idiots get in office.

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. KJL

Is this wishful thinking or a delusion?

I used to admire a lot ofJohn McCain's qualities, but quite frankly, the man is beginning to scare me. Post-traumatic stress? Early senility? Religious self-righteousness? Whatever is going on, it isn't good. His choice of Palin was terrible but things just keep getting worse.

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. Independent

While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old rancher, who's hand was caught in the gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man. Eventually the topic got around to Palin and her bid.

The old rancher said, "Well, ya know, Palin is a 'Post Turtle'".

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle' was.

The old rancher said, "When you're driving down a country road you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a 'post turtle".

The old rancher saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain. "You know she didn't get up there by herself, she doesn't belong up there, and she doesn't know what to do while she's up there, and you just wonder what kind of idiot put her up there to begin with".

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Beauty pageant/cut-throat competitor

"Joe Biden and Barack Obama have never taken on the leaders of their party on any issue."

CNN, CAN WE FACT CHECK THIS LIE PLEASE?

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  19. Mark

As you can only guess why ( well it says here on my notes ) will be the first thing that comes out of her mouth before answering every question

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Carla

If she cannot answer these basic questions she should not be the second in line for the president of the United States. McCain's choice is insulting. There were so many more people more qualified then Palin I don't trust his judgement if he puts possible political gain over the welfare of our country, that is what he has done picking Palin.

October 2, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  21. Purple Nurple

One side of me wants her replaced b/c we all know she is not qualified to be VP, that's a fact. We all know it was a ploy to gather the female vote and now it has backfired.
    The other side does not want her replaced is b/c I wake up every day and wonder what stupid, silly, "like-a-you know-like" comment will come out of her mouth. I know the writer's at SNL have got to be on cloud nine.
    So, as a supporter for Obama, I hope she stays right where she is, b/c she is loosing this election for John on her "vast knowledge" on many issues......BRAHHHHHH you get the point.

October 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. Mark

One idiot supporting other. Whenever I hear 'Country First' I feel like spitting on McCain. If he really feels 'Country First' then he shouldnt have contested is election in the first place.

We are going to see very very bad political and economic trumoil in the coming days because of McCain's greed and selfishness.

Moderator please post this.

October 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  23. Jim

Of course Cariboo Barbie will do fine! She can field strip a moose, and protect Alaska from Putin, all at the same time.

This debate will be as simple for her as naming a Supreme Court case with which she disagrees.

I only hope this debate preparation hasn't kept her from her usual reading of all the newspapers...

October 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  24. Noah

Is it just me, or are liberals the only people who post on these forums? Do you people work? Do you sit around waiting for the next Palin or McCain story to appear so you can write your hilariously uninformed opinions? I guess I should not be surprised considering that the base of the Democrat party are unemployed individuals who want my taxes to be higher so I can pay for their welfare.

October 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. R.I.F.

Jen, California

I'm surprised you can even see the televsion with that white sheet over your head. Oh yeah, you guys cut holes out so you can see. Get lost. Michelle Obama is not even running for VP but if she was I'm pretty sure she would have done a much better job than Palin, yah.

October 2, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |