October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Benjamin Wells

She is not answering the questions

October 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Mike, FL

It is easy to tell that all her answers are rehersed since she keeps sidestepping a question she is not familiar with.

October 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Shehab Ezzat

It seems to me that she got very good training in pronouncing Ahmadinajad's name. She keeps on saying it over and over again. Hmmm Castro brothers? Come on! Can't she remember the names now?

October 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  4. Joe

I think Biden should go ahead and raise the bar for Palin. If she is not ready so be it. Lets see a real debate

October 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  5. confused

I wish she would just stick to answering the questions. Stop all the rhetoric and trying to look cute and funny.

October 2, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  6. w8liftinglady

Sarah contradicts herself repeatedly..she sounds like a junior high debate team member.

7. ROsa

As Green Party V.P. Candidate, we support all human and civil rights, for all LGBT people, and support a right for anyone to marry whom chooses

Rosa Clemente
    Green Party, V.P. Candidate
    McKinney/Clemente 08

8. Mimi Rocks

And the Oscor goes to...Governor Palin of great state of Alaska...the only state in this great union. Apparently Alaska is the only "facts" that she knows.
    Also, correct me if i'm wrong but if you're talking about drilling in Alaska and that we have over a billion barrels of oil and natural gas in reserve then you talk about global warming and making Alaska green aren't you contradicting yourself.

9. Sweet

Did she just say "our respect for women's rights?" It was my understanding she was anti-abortion?

10. slingen

she met these guys for what?....an hour a piece...she talks like she is in contact with them every day....lord

11. MD

It seems like she is on a different page from Biden and Gwen Ifill. She reads her cheat cards about the previous question and default back to it while on the next question. She is a disgrace, she is in way over her head.

12. quip in ks

the "game" has begun!

13. s

Yo Go Roland, you say what other commentators are too politically correct to say. Palin is scripted, she just practiced harder this time. She needs to stay on topic. Also, did anyone notice they are both looking at their notes alot.

14. Teresa Stamback

Paling slid on the ? about foreclosures, I found out today my mortgage co. isn't authorized or legal to service my loan in the state of virginia, I don't understand this, they bought the loan, so why buy up loans you cannot service. By service I mean the only thing they can do is collect the money, they can never offer me a refinance option or any other types of options regardless of what happens with the buyout program.

2ndly Palin speaks of her willingness to go ahead with energy and conservation, didn't she vote against placing the polar bear onto the endangered species list, this will be a shame if our children would never be able to see one of these beautiful creatures except at a zoo.

15. Scott

Will Gov. Palin please answer the question that has been asked?

16. Suzette

I'm sitting in my living room watching the debate -Sarah looks like she's holding her own. But when you go to DEBATE CAMP I guess so!!

17. Jason Horwath

I think Palin has evaded at least two questions and responded with verbose rhetoric about a completely different issue.... Why won't she answer the question directly??

18. Paco - Tucson, AZ

Roland,

I'm gonna be stuck at work for the next two hours, so me and my co-workers REALLY appreciate your making debate related posts here. The interraction with other readers/commenters (even the numbskulls) is nice to see. I'm even more of a fan now. Thank you. Keep it up!

P.S. Can't wait to get home and watch my tape!

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  19. marlene

she is the greatest flip flopper

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  20. tickerroland

Biden is doing an awesome job of using McCain's own words against Palin.

That's a smart debate move. It's hard to defend someone's words.

By the way, Biden began this debate looking tired. But he is now fired up.

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. gumby

i was a fence sitter, but not no more!!! As much as I wanted ditzy and McCain to win- this fence sitter is off the fence! I can't believe I'm gonna vote DEM but this has done it!! thank you !!

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. Sam

THANK YOU Joe Biden....I loved it last week when Obama pointed out Ahmadinejad doesn't have the power and McCain laughed, clearly showing what a moron he is. The power in Iran lies with Khamenei and Ahmadinejad is just his puppet.

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Just a viewer

She is offering more of the same.. My way or no way!! No more of the same bush, that is scary

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. Jennifer Hull

Sarah Palin comes across tonight as somewhat softer and more thoughtful, but just as scripted, just as dogmatic, and just as underwhelming as before. It is too much to think she could handle the top job if God forbid, the necessity arose. Joe on the other hand, could be my Prez any day of the week!

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  25. Sakinah

Does Sarah Palin understand the questions coming out of the moderator's mouth?
    Sakinah