October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. roberta harm

Hello Roland.
    I think everyone has made up their minds. No matter what happens tonight at the debate, people know who they are voting for.
    I think Gov. Palin will please her 'fans' and so will Senator Biden respectively.

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. Alvin Russell

I am having a hard time watching. She does not seem to be know what she is talking about. I normally do not like what is said not trying understand what is said.

She is painful watch, but not as hard to watch Mcain.

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. OncRN

Biden is on FIRE!!! Go Mr. Biden

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Jack

WOW! Sarah is taking more notes than I ever had to take to graduate from Yale. She only looks up when it is her time to speak Otherwise, she is scripting away! Amazing!!!

October 2, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Anthony Parker

Is it just me or it sounds like palin is reading a script...granted its a written speech but, it just seems like she's not answering the questions but being defensive on everything thrown her way

6. Cedric Deadmon

Roland, I am so sick of this crap. Now the media won't say but I will....the only reason this woman is even on the stage is to try in a racist effort by the McCain campaign to capture the white vote that Hillary Clinton left behind on the campaign trail. This person is unprepared, inexperienced, and totally silly. I'm a Republican and Im voting for Obama.

7. izabel

The president of Iran has even told Larry King that he would love to sit down with an American Administration so that some kind of arrangement or agreement is talked through. Now, why is that so hard to understand/.

8. Kim

when did the word "fundamental" and all it's variations become the word of the campaign?

9. Josh

Pretty amazing how quickly Rollins was adding the '+' for Gov. Palin and took about 45 minutes for a single '-' against her. Wow Ed, surprising for even you!

10. Joe

Why ae we allowing Palin to get away with not answering the questions. I am not convinced that she has any energy experience

11. Mary Ann

I can't believe that she said you need to go with your friends and allies with problems in the world-since when has her party cared about what anyone else in the world thought?

12. J Espinal

I love the way that Senator biden is pointing out the differences between the republican ticket on the iraq war, he really has his facts straight..........and She is trying to just atack atack atack....i believe Joe needs to step it up a little, i know hes trying to be respectful but its time to step it up....what do you think Roland???

13. Alvin Russell

I am having a hard time watching. She does not seem to know what she is talking about. I normally do not like what is said not trying understand what is said.

She is painful watch, but not as hard to watch Mcain.

14. 50 something

She needs to be renamed "Sarah Sidestep"

15. Janice

Holocaust...huh?.....what?

16. Audrey

Any American who votes to let this woman within 1000 miles of the White House is mad. This woman in a postion of power is a VERY SCAREY thought.

17. pa student

Sarah Palin's "down to earth" persona is so condescending. Her happy go-lucky attitude makes me scared that she will be the #2 most important person in this country if elected; she can't count on her personality to lead, she needs to address the issues competently.

18. sara vanscoy

please make her quit saying nuk-u-lar.... i just can't take it anymore – eight years of W have been more than enough...

in all seriousness... can she do anything more than string meaningless talking points together?

19. SR

I cannot agree with Fareed Zakaria any more. It's not that she doesn't know the answer, it's that she doesn't understand the question or simply doesn't listen. She has a ready script and she seems to fit points to the questions thrown at her. By the way, I am an independent and had absolutely no pre-disposition towards any candidate or party.

20. Paul Henderson

Is Biden completely incapable of answering a direct question? At least Palin has usually managed to stay on topic, while Biden starts 90% of his answers with an inrelated attack on McCain.

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. Gabe

I think Biden is nailing it on the foreign policy. And, personally, that comment about Spain–brilliant. Bringing up the Holocaust though. . .that's a bit of Godwin's law. Anything involving the Jewish people doesn't immediately need to be compared to the Holocaust.

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Leon

It's apparent that she's been prepped. She has fumbled some; however, she carried her weight debating. This does not validate that she knows how to govern a country.

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  23. Delesia

Okay, when is she going to answer a question directly?

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  24. Maloner

I like how Biden catches himself frowning or furrowing his brow, then quickly changes to the big Biden smile.

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  25. Earline

who dropped the ball on choosing Gov. Palin as Vice President-she isn't answering the question put before her. Why is everything she says sounds scripted. Why is she against talking with our enemies – The 1st President Bush has a talk with Saddam Hussain

October 2, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |