October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Robert (FL)

bla bla bla do eveything perfect because we live in a perfect world

2. Carl in L.A.

This is a better debate than the Presidential one. The moderator is asking some tough questions that don't have simple answers.

3. wayne

OMG she started off pretty good, but now I think shes drunk!.. Did she take something before she started.. its getting worse and worse... She cant stay on question!

4. Michael

This Women is is out her League...Please go to a commercial!!!

5. Sid

Thank you America, Thank you all, Thank you for Debate people!, Thank you Dems and Repubs for this debate between the VP picks...

We have finally realized why DEMS should win.

Repub VP pick should go back to 2nd grade and start answering to the question asked and not to something else

Thanks again

6. judy Finnell

Most important election ever. Stark differences. Pallin not President ever!!

7. Jeff

Roland, the main stream media going to let Gov. Palin get away with not directly answearing any questions? I don't believe mainstreet America is as dumb as she thinks!!!!

8. Ms Linda

I am very nervous and worried about our country. But maybe not, seems like we are a joke.

9. Krish

I am just wondering how Sara Palin is going to talk to world leaders about Nuclear control when she calls it Nukiller. I am just in shock but probably i shouldn't be. But i am ashamed about the fact that the people we need to vote for are not even close to leader. I hope we don;t have another 8 years of president and vice president who will be laughed at by the whole world. Any common people is better than these jokers

10. KLM

Whyyyyy won't she answer the dang questions? And when do you study at a debate? I swear she's reading her answers. PLease create a bridge to somewhere and put her on it.

11. Simon

Someone tell Gov. Palin that this is a debate, not McCain's cabin where she, undoubtedly, practiced memorizing her staged responses on talking points that might be in tonight's debate. I think it was hilarious when Palin completely ducked an issue to spout out her own talking point, and then the moderator bringing up that same issue afterwards.

12. Edwin

This Palin character is creepy. She's just reciting what her trainers spoon fed her the last few days....she seems like an evil teacher. She even makes Biden seem wise. If she was a man they would have torn her apart for being incompetent. Maverick my bum.

13. Robert (FL)

Blah, Blah, Blah do eveything perfect because we live in a perfect world

14. jona

Roland.. you are the last person to make stupid wisecracks about an advanced degree in anything.

15. Shay Thorne

He sounds great. She is sidestepping quite a few issues, and using lots of slogans.

16. juan

did she just call her self a "maverick"?

17. Lisa S - St. Louis MO

PLEASE no more POW talk...

Palin is doing OK and holding her own, but Joe Biden is performing very well. No gaffes noted so far which is good for the Obama/Biden ticket.

Palin just made a poor me statement about pundits...grow up and deal with the commetary, I do not feel sorry for you Governor!!

18. seth

Its just a shame this woman has no clue what is going on in the world if this was Obama they would have crucified him....how can you lower the bar for vice president? So you are saying I can go to a two year college run for mayor of a small island be a great football dad a I can be vice president....More SNL material

19. Steve

It is NUCLEAR not NUCULAR!

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  20. chamala

I and a group of educated men and women, specifically African American women are not hockey mommas! or Joe sixpacks!

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  21. Steve

amazing how people see what they want to see.

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  22. Stank

As an independant voter...Im suprised at how well she's doing. I expected much worse

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  23. Frank

Palin played the POW card. Being a hero doesn't give you the judgement to deal with complex national and global issues.

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. Fred

This is seriously scary. She is clearly out of her league. Am I seriously watching this?

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  25. Chrisie

I thought I was one the only one who heard her say she was a Washington outsidder. She is so nervous and she looks so overwhelmed. This VP pick is a joke...although I think she is sweet and nice looking she is CLUELESS! And she continues to repeat the same thing...her words are not her words.

October 2, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |