October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Felicia (Georgia)

I said it before..."she is a well rehearsed wind up doll" that has no depth of understanding. GO JOE!!!

2. lisa

She speaks to us like we are 3 and asking me if i want a cookie. She cannot answer a question to save her life.

3. Chris in PA

I wonder if Sen. McCain has turned on baseball yet? If he comes out saying Gov. Palin did a good job – that will be a head scratcher.

4. Anu

Hi Roland,

Did any of you notice that Palin did not answer question about Pakistan?

5. Paul - Fla

ENOUGH of the "winking" already!!!!!!! Jeeez that looks so juvenile and condescending !

6. Lisa/Minnesota

Okay, this is a job interview. After what we've heard so far who's getting the job?
    Another thing, do you notice that everytime maverick or McCain is mentioned by Palin the men and womens' line both dip?

7. chritopher byron

she's running out of lines

8. Melissa

If I wanted a cheerleader for the Vice President, Sarah Palin would fit the bill. Unfortunately, she is not what this country needs.

9. Brent Olson

Palin is doing a nice job although over-using the "we are Mavericks" line. Biden looks absolutely Presidential!

10. Andrea'

If I hear the Marv rich one more time, I think I'm going to scream. Her cram session made her into a rebot.

11. Greg in Oshkosh

and...she's rambling

12. Stevo

a Palin administration scares the hell out of me. She said we need to bring alittle of wasilli to washington... This girl has fell and bumped her head

13. John

I have an issue. We don't play hockey in the South. Will she answer a question?

14. tickerroland

Man, Tina Fey has lots of material to work with this week!

15. izabel

Biden is on fire and he just touched on a issue [Bush Doctrine] that she has no clue on, and as Amy Pohler said as Katie Couric on a skit, "Gov. Palin, it seems that when you are nervous or don' know what to say, you become more silly."

16. CarolynW

Roland, maybe Biden didn't know the General's name wasn't "McClellan" either, ha!

17. Robert L

Overall, she is winning, my friends........doesn't mean i will vote for her..

18. Jasmine

She's pretty good when she has down on paper.

19. renaldo in ga

Mr Roland, do you think that gov. Palin was setting her bar so low on purpose with the Katie Couric interviews so she would sound intelligent tonight?

20. jojodancer1119

Sarah Palin doesn't have a brain of her own. She only has a few talking points that she uses no matter what the question. I think she's toast. I think I'm tired of listening to her. She does sound much better than her terrible interviews but she still doesn't have a clue because without the notecards she's done.

21. bernie

Roland Martin is right. Standards should not be lowered for any candidate especially not for Sarah Palin just because she does not know...we did not lower them for Hilary Clinton or any for Barack Obama and they should not be for Sarah Palin. When she accepted the nomination for vice presidency, she also accepted the tough criticism that goes with it...JUST LIKE THE REST OF THEM. If she was'nt up to it, then she should have stayed in Alaska and let someone like Condeleza Rice go for it- but God forbid that McCain would have tapped a qualified person such as Conde! Thanks

22. vk

To me it seems Gov. Palin is either giving wrong answers or skipping questions. It like she has prepared for Physics exam and she is being asked about Maths questions. I am not impressed.

23. thunder

I think she has a really hard time to sticking to the issues. She always seem to get side tracked she has an attenion problem. Like where else in America could I be than at this debate. She not very prepared all that preparation at his camp. It didnt worked. They should have practice more with her shes not doing a very good job my vote is for Obama/Biden come Nov 4.

24. TARUN KAKANI

She keeps mentioning " I am not used to the way washington operates!!!"?!

we know that...but, if she keeps reiterating the same words like "team of mavericks" " straight talk" and "Washington outsider" and the winks in between....that's it man....even a kid wouldn't vote for her..if he had the right to vote!

I Just like her personality...but trust me she is good at handling ALASKA...but US VP is too much for her to handle..she is really poort at handling international,climate,energy,economy,health care issues.

25. sjp

roland, she has done ok to this point, but in reality has she said anything other than alaska. i thought biden landed some close to knockouts on foreign policy and mccains record.