October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Natalie

She just isn't trust worthy. I am afraid what this country will look like if she is the vice president.

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  2. Sam (female - 38 years old)

I have been uncommitted until tonight. It is clear that Joe Biden is ready to take over as the next President of the United States and Governor Palin is just not there yet. Our country is facing some serious issues internationally and nationally and I just feel Governor Palin is reciting rhetoric and her experience of living this issue is not resonating with me. We need experience and with the age of John McCain and her lack of experience just do not add up at this time.

I will be voting for the Obama ticket.

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  3. Gene

Biden is a better debater than Palin, Obama, or McCain, and has clearly won this debate hands-down. Palin is a disaster. She doesn't answer the questions. She talks about what she wants to talk about, regardless of what the issue is.

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  4. James

She isn't answering the question.... I;m getting tired of this. If I hadn't made up my mind, she's making it for me.

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  5. KL

Roland, Roland, Roland

I hope you guys at CNN don't allow this to go by without pointing out that the Gov probably answered 2 questions all night. I'm independent but I think this ticket is dangerous.

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  6. cheryl e

u r so right, palin makes it so easy!

October 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  7. Leopold Spohngellert

I really believe that Biden is making the valid points and Palin is avoiding what she cannot answer because she knows it is not what we want to hear. The wealthy will be taxed and the avg. american will not who can disagree with that?

8. anna

So joe...???

9. annie

Pulling out the cutesy thing now when you can't handle it Huh sarah

10. Tim

Besides demonstrating her ability to mutilate the English language, Governor Palin is clearly proven that she is way out of her league. I can truly see the difference between an experienced leader and a person being used as a political tool. I pray that America can see through the façade.

11. april mac

She has been trained and prep very well. I still don't think it's her time. America please wake-up! Do the leaders really care about this country or are we just concern about race, gender and indiviual parties. We are dying and here...

12. Brian

I typically support the Republican ticket. Philosophically I'm more aligned with that ticket. Despite that I cringe every time I hear Sarah Palin speak. The sound bites and simplicity of her positions (and often disjointed) is contrary to my intellectual conservative values. Turn out the lights...the parties over.

13. ricardo - fl

She should have called in sick....

this is horrible!!!!!

Joe is just running away with it!!!!!

14. Andrew

the mavericks thing makes me sick. that is all

-andrew

15. Timothy

I usually don't watch SNL but I will be tuning in to watch Tina Fey....yes she has a lot of new material.

16. Carl in L.A.

Where is she going with this education thing?

17. Truthfighter

Roland..

Game, Set, Match...it's over. She is out of her league, and shame on Senator McCain for putting this woman out there like that, I do believe she is a sincere person but she if far from ready.

18. Judy Johnson

It is obvious that Sarah Palin is not ready to handle the vice-president nor possible president. Ms. Palin rambles and goes away from the questions asked of her tonight. She seems to be promoting herself and what she fills as accomplishments while mayor and governor in Alaska rather than the issues the McCain is promoting to be president elected with her as vice-president. She didn't even take heed from Biden as he referred to Obama on all issues. Ms. Palin puts her foot in her mouth everytime she speaks.....

19. Maggie McMenamin

Please please please make sure this woman does not make it into the White HOuse – she is clueless and her Wasilla homespun act is not only ridiculous it's an affront to the American people who are facing serious issues. I for one want to be represented by an educated leader not a moron

20. eve

"Say it ain't so Joe?" Come on Sarah... She's trying to push him to "gaff".

21. Suzanne

I honestly hoped by sitting down tonight that I could better understand the bumbling woman who is currently running for the second highest office in the nation.

I keep hearing "Team of Mavericks" and I don't see that, at all.

I'm an insurance sales rep and office manager, and I think I could hold my ground with Joe Biden better than Sarah Palin.

What I'm not understanding is how this tracker of uncommitted voters.

And, as far as "pointing backwards" don't we need to know our history so we don't make the same mistakes? Obviously, some of the largest mistakes of our country have been made in the past eight years.

22. Robert in Small Town

Palin can't answer a question she is just giving rhetoric and apple pie nonsense but not making any points.

23. Howdy

OMG! Is she for real! Let's try to be professional. She is trying to get by with being cute. She talks about looking to the future, but she can't do it!

24. renu

Go,Biden! take her down and her ignorance..she is air headed mumbler....i am almost ashamed to be a woman! but then there is Hilary & Gwen..jeez thank god for some of us with brains....
    I want an intelligent /intellectual president & VP..not an air headed bimbo....
    Roland,Palin is so full of it and i hope the world sees her ignorance & arrogance.and you know what,she is so ill equipped to handle any position,let along VP..

25. Philip

Sarah needs to answer the questions as posed to her. And I am frankly quite suprised that she quoted McCain word for word from his interview with CBS News regarding Obama's nievete as they said