October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Mel in GA

This is true the bar should be high for all of the candidates...

This election is not a beauty contests we deserve substance, good judgement and a vision about the future progress of our country...

We do not need a panicked, erratic, ill-informed, poorly executing decision-maker in office this time

October 2, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. Paco - Tucson, AZ

I think the bar should be raised. To that end I hope Gov. Palin won't be applying any of the tactics previously applied by George W. in his first two debates with John Kerry. Remember the reported "bulge" and the earpiece from those debates? I noticed Palin's trademark bee-hive was down in photographs today, and just two days ago I warned co-workers to watch for this possibility. I'm hoping that it doesn't stay that way. I want to see her ears. Otherwise I'm calling foul, because the fix will most certainly be in.

October 2, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  3. Grace Needed

YES, we need our best and brightest to lead our nation at this crucial time.

October 2, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Shirley-Ohio

I would not wish this on my worse enemy. I think she may drop out of this election before the debate. I am nervous for her and I am voting to Obama. I do believe McCain has a heart and he is not going to put her through this. They just did not want to make a scene like the one he did when he was not going to show up for his debate. No this is just my opinion.

October 2, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  5. David Stein

What a devious game McCain and some of the republicans are playing. Chose Sarah and then stand back and watch the fun. Expectations should and must be high. After 8 years of Bush, do Americans have a choice??

October 2, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. Barney

Just so you know – I can vote early in NC and I'm voting Obama/Biden as soon as is possible. Thanks

October 2, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  7. jaye

I don't care who "wins" this debate – I'm voting for Joe Biden!!!

October 2, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. Mrs. Texas Teacher

Roland, I really believe that McCain had one. I think it is the only explanation for his ability to come up with answers without looking at Obama even once! He was debating all by himself.... and the little voice in his ear. I truly think that they can do it very very subtly these days. I don't put anything past the Republicans anymore... not after 8 years with Bush/Cheney!

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. Maggie

Watch for an earpiece in Sarah's beehive. Its the only way she can come up with an answer that actually applies to the question asked.

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. william inonda

Some one should ask Palin what T.V channel she has been watching for the last 2 years. Even children in remote villages in Kenya understand the issues this year's US election is all about. Stop making excuses.

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  11. Marguerite Barnard

One of the very first things we teach our children is to answer the questions we ask. I notice that in the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman, questions were submitted and since Ms Palin was very busy, she could answer them by email. Even then, knowing the questions in advance she has difficulty answering the question. She evidently wants to put out her own information no matter what the question. I hold both VP candidates to a high standard so we will see what we get tonight. Let's hope for the sake of America, the good ole" US of A that the candidates present a learned face to the rest of the world. We certainly need a good old fashioned boost in our world image. Cheers!

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

we can write tomorrow's news stories right now.

we all know palin's gonna talk and talk about nothing, avoid answering any questions cuz she doesnt know the answers...

and then her dismal performance will SOMEHOW be blamed on the dems and biden! it's the GOP's only tactic left, shift the focus and blame the other guy. my 5 and 6 year olds arent even as whiney as the GOP!

this country is in dire shape, and it is almost ALL b/c of the past 8 years of disastrous GOP "leadership". if it's clsoe enough for them to steal again in november, this country will be destroyed once and for all; and it'll be quite a while until we get back to being the world leader we were BEFORE the current greedy, dangerous administration.

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. T

Roland,,

Why can't you admit she belongs to a new age Church. This is not what America needs !!

October 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. wise

I will not vote for a black man because of cnn's discrimmination against palin , Whom i think is down to earth ( for the ordinary people)and not for big business like obamaaaa and cnn is.

October 2, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. mitch

i hope they bring up their son's who are or will be serving in iraq. then biden can make all the points about the worthless iraq war ,and what it is costing us, in young american lives. this war was unnecessary,expensive, and had no exit strategy. the war is directly related to our failing economy. spending is out-of -control!

October 2, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. T.O

Roland,
    The funny thing is if Biden goes too strong, he'd be perceived as sexist – if he goes to soft, he'd be perceived as patronizing and sexist. He's got a tough job ahead.

October 2, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  17. ALN

I completely agree with Mr. Martin. I don't hear anyone saying that Obama's expectations should be lower than McCain's...if Palin wants to be the VP, she needs to "come with it" as the VP candidate – just like Biden should.

I am watching the CNN panel right now, and the focus is on the Vice Presidential debate. The lady (CNN panel member) who mentioned that this debate doesn't matter, and votes are only about the Presidential candidate needs to re-think her comment. The panel member needs to politely resign as a CNN corresponder or at least during the commentary on this debate since "it doesn't matter." Why have a Vice Presidential debate then? Why have a Vice President? Come on...think about it!

October 2, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  18. Crystal

I certainly hope no one takes it easy on Palin because she is a woman. As a woman who for the past 20 years, worked in a male dominated industry – I don't get to tell the guys to take it easy on me in a meeting because I'm a girl, or that they need to moderate their interaction with me because I'm female. If you are unable to perform on the same playing field, get OUT of the game. I never have and never will want to win anything because someone cut me some slack based on my gender.

October 2, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  19. Cam

Roland,

I 100% agree with you. The expectations should be high. I mean, every time Palin talks about being joe six pack I hope people think about wanting to have a beer with George Bush and what a train wreck that turned out to be.......vote for the one who is presidential, vote Obama.

October 2, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  20. Anna PA

I am also voting for Obama no matter what. No matter what Palin does to night I will never agree with her policies. More importantly I never have and never will agree with McCain's policies. He wants to fight and fight and fight. This will never work even if we had a functional economy but we do not. The time has come to stop fighting put on our thinking caps roll up our sleeves and start rebuilding our country. McCain will never beable to get this done his personality will not allow him to lead us out of this mess. His personality is only suited for war....nothing more.

October 2, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  21. truth please

I find it amazing that people are willing to put someone in office that can't even say what newspapers or books they read. How ignorant have we become? Any question that is asked of this woman, she shreds and yet people say, "she is being asked gotcha questions. She is mostly asked questions that any regular person should know, oh I forgot we don't want regular, we want stupid.

October 2, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  22. DB

Roland, I couldn't agree with you more! As an educator for 35 years, I feel that we are sending a terrible message - one that tells our youth that getting by is good enough. Thank you for putting it out there! I am a strong Obama supporter because he is SMART! I like smart. Call me an elitist but smart is what we need right now. Someone who surrounds himself with the best and the brightest (i.e., Clinton's economic team) and attempts to understand and analyze difficult issues. When did smart become a dirty word? I don't get it.

October 2, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  23. KVC

Some of the things that McCain is saying might sound good, but all of the things that Obama is saying makes sense and McCain is not in reality. Yes, he has experience with the White House, but obviously it's not good experience because it hasnt done anything for our country. Obama is realistic and knows what we want and need.

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  24. tickerroland

Crystal,

It's an insult to a woman to say, "Go easy on her."

Just ridiculous!

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  25. Jannie Warner

We all know she will do well and it has been noted the expectation are low. What is with that???

October 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |