October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Michael in Texas

That's it...regardless of being a staunch Republican who has campaigned for Bush in his last two elections, I cannot watch this farce of a VP nominee potentially become the number 2 leader of the US and the free world.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  2. Victoria Lutz

Yes she is way out of her league and giving shout outs to her family is she for real?

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  3. DB

You are so right Roland...she is downright silly! I guess some people find her "cute" but cute doesn't work for me.... I dislike her more than I did before and I didn't think that was possible.

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  4. Brandon H.

3 things that should never be said in a Vice Presidential Debate:

1.) Doggonit
    2.) Joe Six Pack
    3.) Darn Right

Winner by TKO Joe Biden

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  5. mn

Fellow Americans . please consider your future , you cannot truly have Sarah Palin at the head of the government.
    Do you expect her to be ABLE to make a decision ,
    energy of fluff

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  6. Quincy

Bar....forget the bar. I'd be happy if they answered the questions that Gwen is asking!!!

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. Kelvin

Is someone sending her answers? She looks down alot as if she is reading the answer.

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  8. Mary

Will someone ask Palin what a maverick is – she uses the phrase whenever she doesn't have an answer.

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  9. erange

Thats how you win a debate. Put down the moderator!

October 2, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  10. jojodancer1119

Paul Henderson – Are you watching the same debate that I'm watching? Sarah Palin only has the brain of a notecard!!!!

11. Nate from Gary, IN

Is it me, or is she reading from something> She keeps looking down, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

12. Ali

As a foreigner (I'm Irish), it seems upsetting that a candidte for the second most powerful position in the world could be so below the performace of Sen. Biden. He is very confident and knowledgable about what is going on the world and even just his over all deminour.

Gov. Palin is making such a big deal out 'talking to the American people' but it is obvious that she is overly rehersed abd reading from a script. On the other hand Biden is bringing everything back to the people by reminding the audience who he and where he comes from. When Palin tries to do the same thing she just seems condesending.

13. Janice

Palin: Rehearsed, robotic

14. Malea

As a woman, I am insulted that she is on my television talking with that cutesy, overly sweet tone. It's fine if you're meeting kids on the campaign trail. But Gov Palin could very well be vice president of the United States! The little 'gold star for everybody watching' is not cute and it is not addressing the questions given to her. I cannot condone this in a debate nor do I think her extremely rude dig about the attempt a joke just now.

15. Allan

Palin keeps winking at me through the Internet... I think she likes me.

16. MLByrd

I am shocked by the level of ignorance in our society. I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would want Palin to be in the Whitehouse other than on a field trip with her grandchildren. She is a hot head and arrogant and tries to win people over with a fake sense of family. She finally answered a question – 1hour 14 minutes in the debate.

17. Susan

Oh, Joy! Another VP in charge of our energy plan. Just the change we need after the last 8 years.

18. Donna

I am glad this is her last debate because she only wants to answer what she has written in front of her.

19. Ginni

And no she didn't say Joe Biden's joke was lame and no she didn't say a shout out to the 3rd graders watching. This is a debate!

20. TOYA

Did she just wink?

21. ines

Palin actually told Biden that he is looking in the past too much, that it's time for 'change' with McCain-Palin.

Tina Fey has got about a months worth of skit material from Palin tonight.

Did you notice she mis-pronounces nuclear and Iran – Just like George Bush

22. Teiakisha Blackwell

YES A LOT.....As a Political Science major I am shocked that she does not know this basic information. Now she is saying that John McCain is telling her she will head up his energy policies?????? So what, gos is going to be like $8 dollars instead of $4 now?

23. Mark

if she says MAVERICK one more time I am going to pull my hair out

24. annoyed

Can someone please tell the republican party, especially Palin and Bush, how the word Nuclear is spelled and pronounced?

25. Leon

Wow, she's off the chain. She is definitely showing her ignorance.

She is clueless. Take away those cue cards and she would be clueless.

She's painful to watch.