October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Robert in Small Town

Roland I love your show thanks for keeping it real I hate the spin on the other networks I have a question for you. When this is all spun and done with in the next week or so will this debate have any affect on the polls ?

October 2, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Sandra

please save me from having a vice president that is so full of "cutesy" remarks and phrases. How about some intellect in our leaders for a change!

3. Alicia

Palin often likes to relate things to what she defines as the "hockey mom" or "6 pack Joe" I dont find her relatable at all! She has done well at not directly answering questions. What I do find intresting and give her credit for is making consistent attempts to alleniate her running mate from the current office holder. When I think McCain/Palin I do think Bush/Cheney my pockets cant afford another 4 years of the same...

4. Hasib Y.

Palin to the moderator: "I'm not gonna answer your question, but I will talk to America about myself real quick." I paraphrase but it's exactly what she said.

Who says that to a moderator in a DEBATE?!?! Does she know where she's at?

5. izabel

Roland, I am a future teacher and I really don't like the NCLB. What have you heard from the Obama/Biden campaign about fixing this issue?

6. annoyed seriously

now i am really annoyed palins answers on education, explain it to me, why are we fighting to set up and fund schools in iraq while we are not supporting our own. she just stated that she supports our schools and wants to raise standards, i ask how can we do that with out leaving children behind as the no child left behind act has done. why are we educationing the enemy while leaving our own children lost in the system?

7. Keith in Chicago

Enough is enough, this is litterally like watching my mother on the stage debating, and my mother has no business running for Vice President. You can totally tell when she is being herself, and when she is just reading talking points they gave her to read. America wake up, this is ridiculous. She is not even close to being qualified to be running for VP. I never thought I would say someone is more clueless than George W. Bush, but I think I found someone!

8. Janet lishman

I watched the pre-debate on how each VP should behave. Meanwhile we are heading towards our worst crisis this generation of American's have ever experienced. Believe me within the next year the political debate will not be on the frontline. I think it is a huge failure on both sides. We are nearly bank robbed! Why does the media, politicians,
    Wall Street think so called "Main Street" are not very smart!

9. J. Gomez

Palin is seriously floundering. She needs to answer the questions. Wait did she just make fun of Biden's age?

10. Jacko

Biden's dentures are falling out. She is pointing out his inconsistent record. Those of you who think Biden is winning sure are out of touch with reality.

11. Beth

While neither canidate is perfect .... you can tell Biden has it together and Palin is trying to remember what she is suppose to say... no independent thought in her head

12. THE DEBATE OF THE CENTURY

Well, I guess we know who's gonna be president!!
    OBAMA/Biden

This Chick is dumb! Ive read all these post, and let's face it America, McCain/Palin are way out of tact with rest of the world. NOW WE KNOW THERE'S TIME FOR CHANGE!!
    OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Lici in CA

talking about removing "No Child Left Behind" will get the teachers union- and especially my mom, I need to hear the canidates talk about this more

14. Stank

She may be the Anti-Cheney

15. Frustrated in Minnesota

It's interesting that Governor Palin is saying that she would be working with special needs, yet her immediate response only moments earlier suggested that people didn't understand her "lame" attempt at a joke. Doesn't lame originate in reference to individuals with disabilities?

16. Jay West

I honestly can say that She NEVER answered a question, but spent time trying to "advertise" herself. Joe Biden has done what was asked of him, and debated very well using facts, and never saying anything "empty" and not backing it up with a fact, or with a statement for that matter.

17. dee

Kris–are you watching the same debate that I'm watching ????

18. peggypennie

Where's my Marvin Gaye song.........WHAT'S GOING ON.....

19. Darshan

Did she just say she wants more power for the VP through the Constitution?

Wow.

Sarah Palin = Epic FAIL.

20. Shawn

You have got to be kidding me! Are we really listening to someone that is hoping to lead this country out of the mess it is in, with those country bumpkin responses!!! This seems like more of a joke or a highschool debate. Palin for VP, God help this country if McCain wins. Palin is the best show at his lack in judgement!

21. Carol from Texas

Tina Fey would do a better job at this debate than Sarah Palin has. I agree with you, Roland, there will be alot of material for Tina Fey on SNL this week. Gotta stay up late Saturday night and watch it! Wouldn't miss it for the world!

22. AH

Palin answers are nothing more than slogans! How about a answer of substance!! That scathing sarcasm and insulting is old!

23. Tony Mundine

Will She ever answer a question?

October 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  24. Alex Crutchfield

I tuned out the first question; they never did answer it... I just hear ads being spewed out.

I only heard one or two clear answers to the questions. The rest is all canned crap.

What a waste of time and money.

October 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  25. Kim

Is it me or does Palin seems more like a news reporter than a Vice President; just watch her. It seems as though she is just trying a bit too hard to win the debate, but it's not working. Palin is not right; she really thinks this is a joke and smiling entirely too much.

October 2, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |