October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Sue

She is condescending, too cutesy (she is running for VP, for god's sake !), sarcastic and way out of her league ! "Drill, baby, drill" ! Sheesh !

2. Eabby

I have to question McCain's choice of running mates, as a woman I am offended by the fact that McCain thinks we are so shallow that we would vote for him because he choose a woman, particularly this woman. She is showing us that she is an atomoton unable to speak her own mind but able to regurgatate what has been feed to her.

3. Wayne PHILLIPS

She just read an answer to a question..I thought they didnt get the answers in advance???

4. JP

I'm so sick of her talking like a hick. This is not a time to be cute, this is not a time to pander to stereotype. This is so obviously contrived. like the Palin people told her to play to the Saturday night live image. I almost can't watch this anymore, this is sickening.

5. Dr. HW

Roland, What's with your scoring? Is your button stuck like on SNL Jeopardy?

6. Brian

I wonder what John McCain is thinking right about now?

7. Les

Hello. I could do what Palin is doing. I can learn a script, wink at the camera, and say "ya" at the end of every sentence. She's probably a great local politician. She's probably great for her state and may do a great job there but she has no business running a country has huge, important and on the world stage as the U.S. This is extremely scary and McCain and the republicans should be ashamed of themselves for being so self serving. They're putting country last and at jeopardy in the world arena. Keep her as a local politician and let her do her best and winking there.

8. Ora D

Palin's sarcasim and the smirk on her face is killing me!!!!

9. Outrageous

It is really shameful that John McCain has put Governor Palin in such humility. Her contradictory demeanor is nothing short of sheer ignorance on both national and international issues. As Ronald Reagan would say, "There you [Gov. Palin] go again!"

10. Vickie

Maybe she should have her family of school teachers teach her how to properly speak English, including pronouncing "N-U-C-L-E-A-R" and not saying "want ya."

11. Sue Jenson

I've never heard Joe Biden but he is extremely impressive with his depth and facts and lack of slogans.

12. Georgiana in MA

What is this claim that Barack Obama wants to talk to dictators "without preconditions"?

13. renaldo in ga

Look Mrs. Palin, we know your resume. Please try to answer the questions!

14. Misty H.

She is definitely out of her league here. Joe Biden has his facts straight and knows what he's talking about. Something that is bothering me is that her answers sound so scripted, and based on past interviews where she's shown that she really isn't that knowledgeable about government, she doesn't sound sincere here tonight. We've seen the real Sarah Palin previously, and cramming for this debate makes her look fake. GAWD I hope they don't win. If so, we're moving to Canada.

15. DisgustedRepublican

I cannot believe she is allowed to speak at this level.I mean this is serious business and she's cracking jokes. Lot's innuendos too, should be great on the comedy sites tomorrow.

16. Shanna

I agree. With enough preparation I can get up there and regurgitate what has been pounded in my head day and night over the last few days.

Did she just give a shout ou?!?!

17. Dawn

Roland,

WHY is Gov. Palin consistently referring Sen. Obama as Barack Obama or Barack? I did not know they were on first name basis.....

18. MissCreant

I wish Gov Palin would answer a question....just one.
    She is regurgitating rehearsed key talking points.

19. Mike from TN

I was waiting for this debate to decide which way I would vote, and I had not heard either Palin or Biden talk live yet, but the gap between how confident and experienced Biden sounds versus how clueless and inexperienced Palin sounds has sealed the deal.

Biden is doing better in this debate than Obama did in last week's debate.

20. Jason

If you expected Palin to have some ups and downs because she's new to the big stage and not a seasoned debater, that is what you're getting. If you expected Biden to be more savvy than Palin, that is what you're going.
    Biden definitely warmed up well. This actually reminds me a little bit of McCain-Obama debate, only the opposite roles. When McCain and Biden get time to speak on what they know well, they come across as knowledgeable and authoritative, based on experience.

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  21. Rob

I don't know if its just me but she is reading them cards a whole lot. I know in debates you supposed to write notes to respond appropriately to the subject but she don't seem to be writing... she seems to be reading.

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  22. Sharon in MD

This woman is making me ill! I respect Joe for keeping his cool. He's a better person than i am!

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  23. Chris

I don't know why I come to CNN for unbiased info. This board and Martin are so far to the left they can't see past their noses. You would think the Democrats would learn from Clinton who lowered taxes and spending. Instead they want to vote for a man who wants to raise taxes and at the same time raise spending. The government now runs insurance (AIG) and banking (Freddy and Fannie) what is next. SOCIALISM

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  24. randall

I would like her to start answering the questions put to her and stop being EVASIVE. I can't believe she's getting points for non answers. Am i right or am i wrong?

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  25. shane

Did she just give a shout out to 3rd graders?? RIDICULOUS!! She said "John McCain has tapped me" "work with ya?" who talks like that??

I think she spends too much time with those 3rd graders she shouts out to.

October 2, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |