October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. Quincy

that was a specific question that really deserved a specific answer and one that is much better than the gibberish that palin rattled off. bidens answer was right on!

2. Felicia (Georgia)

Oh My God, she winked at her dad in the audience. She said that the 3rd graders at a particular elementary school would get extra credit for watching tonight's debate. They are in bed, Governor, because they have school on tomorrow. In regard to her comments on education, maybe we need to readmit and reeducate her.

3. Kisimi Ashe

I am enjoying listening to Biden cause he answers the questions clearly and I understand his position. She skirts the issue and leans on a lot of sound bytes and flubbing or changing the subject when it wasn't one of her prep questions. This is not Alaska. This is the Big Time and she can't take her game up to the national level. I guess she is best with "Joe 6-pack" as she has already informed us is her base.

4. Alicia

Roland how do you feel about Palin making many references to when she was mayor or govenor? I say mayor is a far cry from VP or President. I dont want my mayor considering to run the country. She is out of her league!

5. renu

From this debate it seems that Sarah thinks that by being unnaturally jovial she can win debates.
    And it is a little scary that she wants more power vis a vis Biden's thought that BarACK wanted some one with independent judgement..It seems that she is pointing to a Palin-McCAIN tIcket than the other(primary role of VP always to support Prez..not more powers!!!) read your constitution,Sarah..oops sorry...i dont think she even knows the name of current journals..

6. Rachielle from VA

roland please, for the love of god, call her out when this is over!! if i could call in i'd do it lol. she is avoiding a lot of these answers, the gay marriage notion that she wouldn't stand in the way of civil unions or whatever, the nuclear stuff, omg roland please!

7. Matt

Biden won overall, but compared to expectations Palin certainly held her own much better than I and most anticipated.

8. Anonymous

Palin just agreed with Dick Cheney and I think that is a huge mistake

9. Wayne PHILLIPS

Dang..BIden knows his stuff about the role of VP

10. Carl in L.A.

There she goes again. The moderator ask about Cheney's interpretation about the duties of the VP...and she off an running on...what exactly...who knows.

11. lida

with all due respect to sara palin, honestly you can't compare the 2. I think Biden is even good enough to be the president.

12. Niuna

Biden is not smart...........

13. Gloria

I have been watching this debate and am still baffled that Palin was picked as VP. After watching this debate, it is clear to me that Obama-Biden is the strongest ticket. Also, I've been watching the women reacting, they respond better to Biden.... Sorry, McCain!

14. tickerroland

do you think men and women don't like Vice President Dick Cheney?

Our dial-ups shot straight up when Biden said that he's the most dangerous vice president in history.

15. Letitia

I just texted my best friend the same thing! AND...can you say nuclear, not nuculer?

16. Joe

Well, not sure which is worse Sarah Palin's inexperience as VP or Barack Obama's inexperience as President. YOU PICK!!!!

17. Pittsburgh Chris

Gov. Palin is great at regurgitating the party lines and slogans, but we still don't hear any specifics! I don't understand what the Reps are doing, they are smarter than this; so I thought. I like Palin, but this debate isn't even close, Biden is winning (will win) hands down.

18. Ruby Jones

No handicaps allowed. These two are running for vp and to be able to talk with heads of states. If they can't make their clear to the american public then they need to go home and sit down.

19. Brian

The Palin pick as VP will not only contribute to McCain's ultimate loss, but will, in my opinion, have long lasting impact on conservatism. Conservatism is an intellectually driven philosphy. Sarah Palin has turned it into a non-sensical set of one liners.

20. Elizabeth Pastrana

my 12 yr old wants to know if that extra credit still counts even if you don't vote for her?!?!

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. Sabrina

She is so lame, in her own words.

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  22. Rob in DC

Wow. Biden for President.

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  23. C.J.

Why is her experience as a governor under fire?

How many presidents have been former governor's?
    Including Clinton and Reagan......

The point is moot

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  24. Jay West

"gumby October 2nd, 2008 9:51 pm ET

i was a fence sitter, but not no more!!! As much as I wanted ditzy and McCain to win— this fence sitter is off the fence! I can't believe I'm gonna vote DEM but this has done it!! thank you !!"

no sir.....thank YOU!

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  25. Trysh in Los Angeles

Is Biden going to note that both of her businesses failed?

October 2, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |