October 2nd, 2008

Martin: Raise the bar for Palin and Biden

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/09/27/art.split.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Biden and Gov. Palin will take center stage Thursday night."]
(CNN)–Expectations are high for Palin AND Biden. Many of you read my commentary this week on CNN.com and I haven’t changed my opinion.

I’m tired of Washington journalists continuing to say that the expectations are low, and the bar even lower, for Gov. Sarah Palin.

And the same goes for Sen. Joe Biden.

One of these two will be Vice President of the United States. How in the world do we tell our children every day to have high expectations in the classroom, but we should expect the vice president candidates to not raise their game? Nonsense.

It’s time for Biden and Palin to show America what they are really made of.

Bring it on!

JUMP IN ON THE CONVERSATION WITH ROLAND MARTIN

1. randall

Is this dodgeball or a debate?

October 2, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. SD

OMG! Did she just that she enjoyed answering the questions! She didn;t even answer one question fully! In the end, I felt like I was on a campaign trail than at a debate

October 2, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  3. John in CT

I find it interesting how everyone says Palin is ignoring the questions. When do politicians ever answer the question? NEVER! If you are going to make a criticism, make a fair one.

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. david

She'd make a great Fox news anchor–not a VP of the United States!

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  5. Karla

Final thoughts? Winner?

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  6. renaldo in ga

This is crazy! Am i the only one who's wondering how she got elected as gov?

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. Marie

If the ticket were Biden/Obama, I'd vote for it. I just don't have faith in Obama.

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  8. Mike Toronto

Roland 'Obama Supporter' Martin would spin that Biden and Obama won the debate if they came out naked and drooling! Please, give me a break from the "unbiased" CNN.

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  9. Donna

I am so glad that she is shutting up. Did she just say that she "enjoyed answering questions"? Huh? I don't recall her answering a question this whole time, however I do recall her reading a script. I want to giver her credit for being intelligent but then it would be charity.

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  10. Jane E

I'm a solid Obama/Biden supporter, but my heart does go out to Palin. Where was the RNC when this choice was made?

October 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Sarah

I thought she was going to end with the Pledge of Allegiance. It would have fit so well...God help her

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  12. Melissa

Wow! Joe Biden is great.

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  13. clinnger

wow–she needs to quit tomorrow,

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  14. Jason

I find it interesting that so many of "us" who know 10% of what these candidates know and have accomplished 10% of what they have are so critical. Of course Palin's answers are more general than Biden's; he's lived through the events that she's been cramming to learn more about for a month. (Sort of like Obama has to "learn" about events that McCain lived through and therefore typically knows more about.)

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  15. jojodancer1119

Biden is very on point. He has me motivated and fired up!!

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. CITIZEN KANE

Palin is out of her league!

It's not her fault though...she is obviously a "TOKEN" for the Republican ticket to try to get Hilliary supporters votes. It's NOT working, McCain!

As a woman, I found this tactic (selection of Palin for V.P. at this stage of her career) appalling, and Sarah should step down, go back to Alaska, run for Congress, work her way up, learn the ropes so to speak, gain the support through her own merits, then come back in 4 years, and maybe I'd vote for her.

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  17. Stevo

TKO Goes to JOE!!

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  18. Suzie

Is this all a bad dream? She is not qualified. She will never be qualified. No matter how much coaching. My goodness I felt like I was watching a high school debate team and she was put there as a joke. She can't even answer a question. She speaks but doesn't have anything to say. How sad. This country is in trouble and she is NOT the answer. One would have to be insane to vote from McCain-Palin. God help us.
    Oh and I am a Hillary supporter and now a supporter of Obama. Oh and Sarah, you are NO Hillary.

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  19. Aaron

Elect the one that knows how to pronounce Nuclear...it is not NUCULAR!!! Reminds me of Bush.

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  20. pat

I have watched this debate very carefully. As a woman, I am particularly interested in what happens here. As an American, I can be interested in what happens to my gender, but I will vote according to my judgment.

There is no doubt in my mind that the choice of Governor Palin was cynical. That was proven tonight. The idea that we as women would vote for an unqualified woman just because she shared our experiences is ludicrous. Really. We do have a brain, you know.

I had hoped she would do better because I wanted to be proud of her.

But she didn't. Pat answers. Soundbites. No substance.

Folks, we as women aren't afraid of competing and being vetted just as our opponents are. So don't send to us someone who is talented, but not qualified and expect us to vote without our brains.

I've decided to vote for Obama and Biden this time around. I might have gone the other way–but I'm irritated by the low bar for me as a voter. I'm better than that.

October 2, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  21. KP

Palin used her womanly "wiles" – the winking of the eye, the smacking of the lips, the head movements and "attitude", etc.

If she answers the questions half as much as she's doing that, she'd be "darn" good!

She loves the word "darn".

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  22. Johntfs

To Kris:

No, it isn't. In the event of a tie, the election gets thrown into the U.S. House of Representative, which means Obama becomes President.

That said, the VP can break ties in the Senate. In fact, that's the only Constitutional responsibility that the VP has (aside from waiting for the President to leave office prematurely).

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  23. myron

She surprised me

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. Jonathan

This debate wasn't even close. Palin was way out of her league. Biden shows his experience. Eventhough I am a McCain supporter I think he picked the wrong V.P. I disagree with Obama's polices but I think they just wrapped up a victory in November.

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  25. tickerroland

So, folks, who won?

Palin remained folksy, drove home the issue of tax cuts and the maverick image of McCain.

Biden? STRONG.

She did her job, didn't make major mistakes, but he clearly had a strong command of the facts and stayed on the attack against McCain.

Biden won this debate. It was very clear.

October 2, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |